Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Will Snead Give His Pal Dimitroff a Bargain?

Last year, the Rams traded down with the Falcons in a draft a lot weaker than this one.

The trade from 22 to 30 ended up still getting them Alec Ogletree, the guy they wanted even at 22, but the price Artlanta paid WAS less than what the trade chart suggests in an average draft.

The difference between 22 and 30 is 160 points, but the Rams got only 144.2 back in pick 92 and 198.

That 15.8 point difference doesn't seem much, but on the chart it's an extra late 6th rounf pick.

I believe that Snead will again give his pal a deal that returns less than the 1000 point difference between 2 and 6, something the Texans probably won't do for the #1 overall.

Atlanta's second rounder is worth 530, so according to the draft chart the Rams would get that AND Atlanta second round pick in 2015, plus their third rounder in 2015 and another late pick.

I believe that Snead will ask far less than that from Atlanta in the end, probably just Atlanta's second rounder in 2014 and 2015, to make the deal.

I would guess the Texans want Atlanta's #1 AND #2 in 2015 plus the high #2 this year , a price too high for Atlanta to pay for Clowney, especially when he may not even end up the #1 pick. The #1 overall is worth 400 more points than #2 on the chart.

Barry Waller

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Will Snead Give His Pal Dimitroff a Bargain?

If Snead takes less because he believes that the value of 2nd round picks in this draft exceeds the numerical value assigned on the Trade Value Chart, then I'd be fine with that.

If Snead takes less because Dimitroff is his friend, he should be fired immediately.

clarasDK is offline Registered User

I would ok with their first and second round picks this year + the second round next year.

I think the level of consideration that Snead would require depends a lot on how the trade-back would impact the Rams' first selection.

For example, if the Rams have Robinson and Matthews at the top of their board (or second, behind Clowney, who will likely go first) and have rated them evenly, then as long as one of them is still there at No. 6, the Rams would essentially be giving up NOTHING to trade back. If the Rams feel that way, then any consideration is a bonus. Certainly, they would still insist on a reasonable value (and I'd say that 2 second round picks would qualify), but there would be no reason to hold out for more just to satisfy the TVC.

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Think this hearkens back to the gentlemen's agreement Snead talked about.

I have to admit ignorance about the trade value chart. How much do teams actually reference it as a tool or is this more for the fans? Is the TVC static or volatile based on current crop in the draft?

The TVC, as I understand it, originated with the Cowboys.

I think its considered a reasonable guide, but its not written in stone by any means.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

WOW! You're telling me the trade value chart has no relevance to NFL GM's?! Who would've thought!.....Welp..

On so many mock drafts I've had people say "That's not even close or that's not enough according to the trade value chart".

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    WOW! You're telling me the trade value chart has no relevance to NFL GM's?! Who would've thought!.....Welp..

On so many mock drafts I've had people say "That's not even close or that's not enough according to the trade value chart".
    I'm not sure who you are responding to, but I certainly did not say it has NO relevance. Rather, its something that probably is considered, but is not a bright line test.