View Poll Results: Winning or Losing which scenario would you rather see.

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rams play hard but lose the rest of their games and get 8th place in the draft.

7 50.00%
  • Rams play hard and split the final 4 games and get the 13th place in the draft.

2 14.29%
  • Rams play hard and win the rest of their games and get 18th place in the draft.

5 35.71%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    STLRAMSFAN Guest

Winning or losing which helps us more next year?

I would like to see us win but I am not sure winning this year as opposed to losing helps us as much for next year. I think solid football would be nice but winning will drop us further down in the draft. If we lose and get in the top 10 of the draft it gives us a lot of options trade down and get an extra 2nd round pick or select one of the top tier talents in the draft. Plus we also pick higher every round. Winning will help us build a little momentum but the main people that need the winning momentum are on the D and I suspect half of them won’t be here next year.
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -12-09-2005 at 11:35 PM.

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Re: Winning or losing which helps us more next year?

I cant believe that I am reading this. I would never want too see our team lose, regardless of where it would place us in the draft. To even debate this really takes away from the importance of the game. This game is all about winning. You win at any cost. I want to see the Rams win the rest of their games. Pride is more important than draft placement. Have pride in the way you play, have pride in winning.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

RammieGirl is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39
    I cant believe that I am reading this. I would never want too see our team lose, regardless of where it would place us in the draft. To even debate this really takes away from the importance of the game. This game is all about winning. You win at any cost. I want to see the Rams win the rest of their games. Pride is more important than draft placement. Have pride in the way you play, have pride in winning.
    I personally agree with this.....This is a competitive sport, and the game is to win and we play to WIN!!!! That's what it's all about!!! We need our young guns to be educated here and our Vets to be the teachers.

Others will be threatened by us in time.... I just wish it would happen like, ummmm right now!!!!!

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Really a mute point. I don't think the Rams could win the majority of their final games if they tried, which they probably will try to do.

They can probably win half at best, so they don't have to try to lose. They will lose.

majorram is offline Registered User

I just hope the Rams have some kind of pride... I think the positive here is at least the Rams can see what they have in Fitz and the rookies in the remaining games and yep they should go out there and win, why take the field other wise...

steve:clanram:
    "The breakfast Club"

STLRAMSFAN Guest

I don't want them to try to lose. I want them to play hard and try to win. But do I want to see them win and get about the 18th slot or lose and get about the 8th slot in the draft in an already lost season. I think if we win it will make our defensive rebuilding harder. If we lose we may be able to trade down to the same spot we would have been at if we won and garner an extra 2nd round pick not to mention we would draft possibly 10 spots higher in every round.

I will still root for the Rams to do good and play hard but as long as they play hard I am not as concerned about winning this year. I would like to see a lot of the younger players get as much experience as they can in the remaining four games to help build their confidence in their own game going into next year.
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -12-10-2005 at 10:51 AM.

DXD
    DXD is offline Registered User

Hello everybody, new guy here. It seems to me that the rest of this season should be an audition for next year.

But then again, since there will be a new coach in town, who are they auditioning for?

My mind says fall out and get the higher draft pick.
    My heart says just win, baby!
    Just triangles and a cross.

CanadianRam! is offline Registered User

18th spot is fine with me
    just win damn it!!

general counsel is offline Registered User

This is a great point of debate. Personally, i think its all about how you define winning. What i want to win is a super bowl. To me, and i agree that on this point reasonable people can differ, winning this week would be like winning a battle and then decreasing your chances of winning the war. The war is about winning titles, the individual games at this point are just battles.

The better our draft pick, the better chance we have of getting an impact player that can improve our chances of winning it all next year. Just think about the difference one pick might have made a couple of years back, marcus trufant vs. jimmy kennedy.

This is a tough one for me also, the idea of routing for the squad to lose is awful. However, think about the difference between your team winding up with peyton manning vs ryan leaf or lew alcindor vs. neil walk.

The thing about this of course is that the players play for their jobs, it doesnt really help them to get a better pick next year.

To me, the most critical thing is that we make it through the rest of the season without any major injuries that would hamper our chances next year. Torry Holts knee is a mess, how much longer do you all want him to play taking the risk that he seriously tears it and then is never the same. Thats why i wanted holt to sit for the indianapolis game, i wanted him at full strength rather than hobbling the rest of the year. To win the war in any given season, you need to be mindful of not taking too much risk to win every battle. Better to be a little cautious sometimes then to risk losing a guy for the year. Does anyone really want to bring marc bulger back for the last game of the year against the cowboys just because it gives us a better chance to win that game? Would you guys feel the same way about this if we had a shot at reggie bush and we were battling for the #1 pick.

As i said, this is a great topic for debate. I view it as emotion vs. logic. My heart always says win, my head says time to fold our hands and play the kids as much as we can and get in the best position to try and win next year. 8-8 vs. 6-10 isnt going to matter to me, i will always view this season as extremely disappointing.

ramming speed to all

keep ike, sign big grease, cut the nutcracker

general counsel

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39
    I am in firm agreement. I don't care if we are 0-15 going into the last game - try your damnedest to win.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by STLRAMSFAN
    If we lose we may be able to trade down to the same spot we would have been at if we won and garner an extra 2nd round pick not to mention we would draft possibly 10 spots higher in every round.
    I'm not sure I see a lot of teams trading up into the top ten unless they're trying to get Leinart or Bush, neither of whom will be available with the 8th pick. After that, is there a dominant player worth trading up for? Maybe Vince Young, but I think he could be gone by then as well.

Also consider that even if we're at 18, we'd still have a shot at getting guys like Tye Hill or Michael Huff, barring a huge rise or fall from them on current boards, and could still have a shot at some of the top four LBs.

The way I look at it, we're already out of the playoff hunt, but I want to see the Rams play hard. Win or lose though, I think there are positives to take away from either situation.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Just think about the difference one pick might have made a couple of years back, marcus trufant vs. jimmy kennedy.
    I've often wondered what would this team be like had they not had that great comeback (with Martin at QB, of all people) to end the 2002 season against SF. Had we lost, we would have been 6-10 instead of 7-9. Which, in effect, would have given us our pick of Jordan Gross, Kevin Williams, Terrell Suggs, or Marcus Trufant.

Not saying I'd rather we lose that game, but it does set a man's mind to thinking.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel is offline Registered User

But that is exactly the point bison. those guys are head and shoulders better than the big bear, at least up until this point.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    But that is exactly the point bison. those guys are head and shoulders better than the big bear, at least up until this point.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I know. I'm not disagreeing with either side (I should have entered politics). At this point anyway, I'd take those other guys over Bear, but it would mean losing that game to the niners. There's a strong case either way.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Good lord, can you imagine Jordan Gross at right tackle for us after the 2003 draft? Talk about securing the future of the offensive line. Of course, the Rams probably would have went with Suggs or Trufant since they traded for Turley, but still.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast