Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ramhard is offline Registered User

Worst case scenario, who would you pick?

Let's say worst case scenario that there is a run on OT's and CB's. so the 3B's are gone (Brown, Barron, and Barnes), and the top three CB's are gone also (Rolle, Pac-man, C. Rogers) and of course LB D. Johnson is also gone. AND no one wants to trade up, so the Rams can't just trade down and get more picks(the easy out).

Who should the Rams take? Reach for a combo safety/corner like Marlin Jackson? Reach for a LB like Burnett, Blaystock or Ruud? or get a DE like Pollack, Roth, or Cody? Get the best guard?

serkicker32 is offline Registered User

Re: Worst case scenario, who would you pick?

from what your saying, then one of the top talents would then have follen into our laps, and if it is a QB RB WR DT then we should be able to find some one to bite on a tradedown, and if it is a TE DE LB or S then we take him... and I did not mention OG and OC because none are worth the pick

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ramhard
    Let's say worst case scenario that there is a run on OT's and CB's. so the 3B's are gone (Brown, Barron, and Barnes), and the top three CB's are gone also (Rolle, Pac-man, C. Rogers) and of course LB D. Johnson is also gone. AND no one wants to trade up, so the Rams can't just trade down and get more picks(the easy out).

Who should the Rams take? Reach for a combo safety/corner like Marlin Jackson? Reach for a LB like Burnett, Blaystock or Ruud? or get a DE like Pollack, Roth, or Cody? Get the best guard?
    Interesting scenario. First let me say, I would never under any circumstance reach in the 1st round. In the salary cap era, it's the equivalent to financial suicide. Having said that, your scenario removes 7 players (3 OTs, 3 CBs, & 1 LB). I think I can assume the other 11 are going to be made up of the 3 RBs (Benson, Brown, Williams), 2 QBs (Smith & Rodgers), 2 WRs (Williams & Edwards), & 4 others. So not knowing who those 4 others are, let's look at the 5 best options. I would think they are, in no particular order:

1. Shawn Merriman
    2. Erasmus James
    3. Marcus Spears
    4. Brodney Pool
    5. David Pollack

The math shows that one of them has to be available, and I'd be happy with any of them.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

I think that you have the wrong safety listed, instead of Brodney Pool I think it needs to be Thomas Davis

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I would probably take the top defensive end or guard on the board. I think at #19, it's probably still too soon to be looking at someone like Pool or Bullocks, and I suspect Davis would be gone. If not, then take him.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

If you look at my draft board, there are still some good options. Probably go with a FS or OG Baas.

Quote Originally Posted by serkicker32
    I think that you have the wrong safety listed, instead of Brodney Pool I think it needs to be Thomas Davis
    No, I left him off intentionally. But that's just my opinion.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Im interested in hearing why you would leave him off.
    Personally I have Davis rated higher because he would be a great run-stuffing safety and with his size would be able to hold up much better than Arch in the box, and from what I understand, he does have decent awareness in coverage, which is unteachable in my opinion at this point in his career.

Quote Originally Posted by serkicker32
    Im interested in hearing why you would leave him off.
    Personally I have Davis rated higher because he would be a great run-stuffing safety and with his size would be able to hold up much better than Arch in the box, and from what I understand, he does have decent awareness in coverage, which is unteachable in my opinion at this point in his career.
    His combine 40 of 4.65 takes him out of safety contention for us anyway, IMO. If he came here, he would have to play WOLB, which we have a ton of already. That's why I wouldn't put him in serious consideration for the Rams. Nothing against him, he's got all the skills needed to play SS in some defenses, just not ours.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    His combine 40 of 4.65 takes him out of safety contention for us anyway, IMO.
    Thomas Davis's 40 time is probably on the weaker end in terms of defensive backs, but I hardly think it completely eliminates him from our board. For comparison...

Brodney Pool: 4.54 and a 4.55
    Donte Nicholson: 4.58 and 4.55

Safeties don't have to be burners, and I think Davis plays faster than his 40-time would indicate. If Pisa's 40-time (late 4.5s early 4.6s) doesn't preclude him from playing SS for us, I don't see why Davis could do it.

Keep in mind when you think about 40 times, you're looking at straight line speed - not game speed - with no pads or helmet. And you're talking about maybe a tenth of a second in difference between someone like Pool. I just don't think it's that huge of a deal based on his number, especially considering the way we'd use him, by keeping him closer to the LOS on a number of occasions.

Nick, in the example there are 4 unknowns already taken. I named who I thought were the top 5 (in my book at least) remaining players, so that at least one of them would be available. I think Davis will project into an OLB spot somewhere, which we don't have much need for unless he add 20 pounds or so. Davis doesn't make my list, that's all I'm saying. We have more pressing needs than SS or WOLB with the #19 pick. He'll be a fine player, just not for the Rams #19 pick.

I see what you're saying. I was just responding to what you said about his 40-time taking him out of consideration for us.

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    I see what you're saying. I was just responding to what you said about his 40-time taking him out of consideration for us.
    But don't you think it does? I mean with Pool still available, I don't think we would take Davis, would we?

I also understand what you are saying and a coverage safety would be of higher priority, but the good thing about the possibility of Davis still being on the board is that if our experts dont think that he is needed and can find someone that covets him then we could have a win-win situation with the possibility of a trade-down.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    But don't you think it does? I mean with Pool still available, I don't think we would take Davis, would we?
    No, I don't think it does. And I think Davis would be better value in the first round than Pool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast