tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Worth looking towards Tony Gonzalez?

He is probably going to be leaving KC according to recent reports. And since Linehan loves his TEs he would be a good acquisition for us. Problem is his age and the contract he will demand. But he would improve the offense and negate the need to hurry out looking for a third WR to replace Curtis.

Also, he would probably only be with the team a little while since he is 30, but he would help the development of Klop and Byrd, who i see as the second and third TEs if Gonzalez was to sign.

I doubt it would happen, but its something to think about.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Worth looking towards Tony Gonzalez?

Not worth it for us in the cap era. We need to spend the money on defense, not for another major weapon on offense. We have plenty of skill position players and while losing curtis is certainly not ideal, we will find another guy at the third role and ultimately a guy to replace ike. At the end of the day, we can win the superbowl with the offensive skill position talent we have, the question on offense is the oline and if you wanted to spend real money on offense, to me, o line would be the place to do it. Notwithstanding that comment, i think we are best suited to spend the money on defense, since that is where we need the MAJOR help if we are to be a contender. Bottom line is that in the cap era, you need balance and its very dangerous to be paying big cap dollar to older guys unless you think you need one particular critical guy to get you over the top. We are not one guy away, and if we were, it certainly wouldnt be at tight end, more likely a superstar defensive tackle (or two).

ramming speed to all

general counsel

i only think he is worth a look, because he would be a major asset in the endzone. We all saw how Bulger struggled a bit this year with endzone play.

However i agree that we shouldnt be paying top dollar for him, because we need major help on defense. I would like Gonzalez if we can get him reasonably, but its likely that a couple of teams will throw some very big money towards him if he leaves Kansas City

And you mentioned defensive tackles, i read somewhere that Kris Jenkins may be available as a cap casualty. Now he has to be worth a look even with his injury history.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I'd love to sign Gonzalez.............if he can tackle someone.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    We all saw how Bulger struggled a bit this year with endzone play.
    We did? I must have missed that one.

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

That's funny, I heard a report that that there was no way Gonzalez was leaving KC. I heard they considered him to be just as important to their franchise as Derrick Thomas and their gonna do all they can to keep him.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Yea if it was a small contract only to mentor the young Tight ends on our team and how to block successfully. Otherwise no thanks.
    RamsFan16

I read that they were going to tag him anyway.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

He is probably going to be leaving KC according to recent reports. And since Linehan loves his TEs he would be a good acquisition for us.
    Just say no to Tony Gonzalez or any other high priced FA's on offense. They would be luxuries we can't afford and don't need. I think it's pretty clear to everyone were we need to throw the cash.

We all saw how Bulger struggled a bit this year with endzone play.
    With all due respect, this is a misconception. In the redzone this year, Bulger had 21 TD's, zero Int's and a rating of 108.1 (NFL.com situational stats).

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

In the beginning, the Coach and the whole offense struggled to learn how to score in the red zone, not just Bulger. Once they all got on the same page there was no red zone problem.

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

Hey, those are Troy Smiths redzone stats. No to Tony. We're fine on Tight Ends on a count of we just drafted two. If what you heard about Jenkins is true he is worth a look. He'd be a lot of money since Indy needs run help bad. Currently they're the hotter spot to go. However I don't think Jenkins will be a free agent since Carolina can't afford to lose anything on defense. Peppers and Jenkins are the back bone not only of that defense but of the team. (when Jenkin's playing, I know he's been out a long time)

We only solved the scoring in the endzone problem late in the year

The reason we didnt destroy teams at the earlier part of the year was because of an inablity to score in the endzone. Yes it was the team and not Bulger, but it was a redzone struggle all the same. Jeff Wilkins was on his way towards breaking the Field Goal record the amount of times we were relying on his leg in the first five games.

And i wasnt seriously suggesting signing Gonzalez, especially for the price he will likely be at. I just think some veteran leadership for Klop and Byrd would do them wonders. If you are going to learn you might as well learn from the best.

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

Gonzalez has just agreed a 5 year contract with the Chiefs..:l

Thanks big game, i think this is what they call in belfast "The End of the Thread!"

ramming speed to all

general counsel