Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Would anyone like to see this guy in horns?

MANDEVILLE, La. (AP)—Deuce McAllister(notes) is done trying to be a superstar, done trying to carry a team on his back as he did with the New Orleans Saints earlier this decade.

The 30-year-old power runner doesn’t want to be the embittered player living in denial about the effects of age and injuries on his game. He does, however, still want to win a Super Bowl—as a player.

“Keep living,” McAllister said. “Either injuries are going to take you out or age will catch you, and you have to kind of redefine your role if you want to continue to play.

“I’m content,” McAllister added. “I’ve been the guy before, so I’m beyond that. The ultimate goal is to win a championship and to be able to help a team out.”

Drafted by the Saints out of Ole Miss in 2001, McAllister is the franchise’s career rushing leader with 6,096 yards. His 55 total touchdowns and 49 rushing TDs also are Saints records.

ADVERTISEMENT

Released by New Orleans after last season, McAllister has spent part of the offseason visiting with doctors at Duke University and the rest in Gulf Breeze, Fla., working out about five hours a day at a sports medicine institute run by orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews.

Just about every morning, he’s pulling sleds or doing other traditional resistance training. With a military base nearby, he sometimes works out alongside special forces soldiers, admiring their techniques and stamina.

“Those guys are pretty neat,” McAllister said, cracking a smile. “They can probably run 30 minutes at time, but their lateral movement is not the best.”

McAllister’s goal was to figure out why his knees have taken such a beating in recent seasons. He’s torn anterior cruciate ligaments in both legs, first his right one in 2005 and then the left in 2007. He’s needed minor cleanup operations since and played hurt throughout last season, having fluid drained from his left knee on a routine basis.

McAllister said doctors have advised him to work on strength and flexibility in his hips, ankles and core, something he didn’t focus on as much before.

“It’s really just working on everything around the knee to take some of the pressure off of the knee,” McAllister said.

He hopes within a few weeks to be ready to start visiting teams interested in signing him. He also wouldn’t rule out returning to New Orleans, which he said would be “a dream come true. … But if it’s on a visiting team, then so be it. All that will play itself out.”

Certainly, McAllister remains popular with Saints fans.

On Friday, he traveled back to the New Orleans area to continue his long-standing charity work in the region. His Catch 22 Foundation joined with local company Allfax Specialties Inc., hosting a golf tournament to raise money for Children’s Hospital of New Orleans.

More than 200 golfers, including a number of current Saints players, participated in the event, which raised about $180,000.

“The fans appreciate what he’s brought to New Orleans,” Saints right tackle Jon Stinchcomb(notes) said. “They understand the business side to the NFL, but I think they have a genuine love for Deuce McAllister.”

If McAllister eventually signs with a team, the possibility of a four-game suspension could be hanging over him. He was among several players last year whose use of an over-the-counter dietary supplement yielded positive tests for the banned diuretic bumetanide. The players have appealed their suspensions and the case is pending in federal court.

McAllister said he remained confident in the players’ case.

“I feel very good about it,” he began. “There’s not a lot I can really say. I think all that will come out.”

McAllister also is in litigation to save his closed Nissan dealership in Jackson, Miss. He’s trying to pull it out of bankruptcy. His other dealership, which sells higher-end makes like Land Rover and Jaguar, remains open.

McAllister, who grew up in the Jackson area, said he is still working on the redevelopment of historic downtown buildings there. He said the recession has complicated the project, but that new tax credits have helped keep it viable.

Still, he said his primary focus is latching on with a team that would be willing to give him another chance—and at least 10-15 carries a game.

“I’m still going to play,” McAllister asserted. “I want to play a couple more years.”

Deuce could possibly be the guy to back up SJ. If he can pass a physical he certainly would be a satisfactory backup to Steven. He's not a prima donna, and isn't desirous of a starting role. He's definitely been a downhill runner of the type Spags seems to prefer. Since he only wants to play a couple more years, he could probably be signed reasonably. The cons are: his age (although 30 isn't exactly akin to being a dinosaur), and his past injuries. I think he'd be worth a look for the right price ... What does our resident ClanRam Guru of player personnel (that would be you Nick) think??

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Would anyone like to see this guy in horns?

if the Rams checked him out and chose to sign him ,i wouldnt be against the move...

jmk321 is offline Registered User

He looked really bad when he got the ball last year. I think his knees are too banged up for him to still be effective in the NFL.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by jmk321 View Post
    He looked really bad when he got the ball last year. I think his knees are too banged up for him to still be effective in the NFL.
    It sure looks like his days are numbered. I don't think there would be much to gain by taking a chance on him.

CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User

Gotta love his attitude though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit myspace.com/polejox

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    It sure looks like his days are numbered. I don't think there would be much to gain by taking a chance on him.
    If his knees check out then it wouldn't be taking that much of a chance. He's been rehabbing like crazy, and it is possible he's good to go. On the other hand he may not be ready in time, if ever. That determination would be up to the Rams' team doctors and staff. If he's truly healthy enough to play, I believe he'd be a good fit.

A-Web is offline Registered User

I agree with MauiRam on this one. As to his knees being injured, that was this past season. Yes, when you get older, your body stops repairing as much and as fast, but he's only 30, with enough time off and strengthening, he can get back to his 100% on both his legs. Plus, he won't be trying to be the starter with 20-30 carries a game. He wants about or less than half of that load. With that, he could be on and off his legs fast enough, that it wouldn't be doing as much wear and tear.

As to picking him up, if it is reasonable to our salary cap, and he signs up for somewhere between 2-3 years, I'm all for it if it gets through our team doctors.

McAllister’s goal was to figure out why his knees have taken such a beating in recent seasons. He’s torn anterior cruciate ligaments in both legs, first his right one in 2005 and then the left in 2007. He’s needed minor cleanup operations since and played hurt throughout last season, having fluid drained from his left knee on a routine basis.
    McAllister has a great attitude and a great heart, but his knees have taken a beating over the years and at 30, having to deal with multiple surgeries and cleanups, things are most likely going to get worse.

A-Web is offline Registered User

That is a possibility, but the quote you highlighted is a sign of improvement. He went into the summer with the goal of actually figuring out what was causing his problems, and how he can strengthen the whole region to prevent future problems.

That is quite a few steps above those guys who get hurt and just wait for it to heal. Then go out, play, and get reinjured. He is proactively trying to prevent it from ever happening again, which is a sign of dedication and determination.

Those are 2 qualities that I find to be very admirable and desirable amongst football players.

The possible acquisition of Deuce could be rendered moot if Ogbonnaya proves to be a 7th round steal and convinces coaches he can carry the load. However that is at least as iffy as Deuce's knees. .

Quote Originally Posted by A-Web View Post
    but he's only 30, with enough time off and strengthening, he can get back to his 100% on both his legs. Plus, he won't be trying to be the starter with 20-30 carries a game. He wants about or less than half of that load. With that, he could be on and off his legs fast enough, that it wouldn't be doing as much wear and tear.
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by A-Web View Post
    As to picking him up, if it is reasonable to our salary cap, and he signs up for somewhere between 2-3 years, I'm all for it if it gets through our team doctors.
    If Deuce checks out ok medically, I believe what he brings to the table overall would be a great fit for us. The guy is a proven power runner with exactly the attitude Spags is looking for. 10 years experience in the league will aid him in mentoring our younger players.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    McAllister has a great attitude and a great heart, but his knees have taken a beating over the years and at 30, having to deal with multiple surgeries and cleanups, things are most likely going to get worse.
    Only if he's healthy Mike. If he can't pass muster, then there'd be no point in it. If he is healthy, I believe he'd bring alot of good things to the table. The man is a competitor, a warrior. He's more than proven he can play in this league. His attitude is superb: team first, unselfish, hardworker, and a willing mentor for younger players. A good fit for us right now ..

It will be interesting to see if any team takes a hard look at McAllister. I'd be surprised if that happens, but you never know.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

He said that he wants to try winning a championship, which doesn't really point towards the Rams at the moment. While he'd surely be a better backup than what we have, I doubt that he'd be interested in us as we wouldn't give him much money or a chance to win it all.

Alexander might be a bit better, as he could run rampant on the team that dropped him.

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    He said that he wants to try winning a championship, which doesn't really point towards the Rams at the moment. While he'd surely be a better backup than what we have, I doubt that he'd be interested in us as we wouldn't give him much money or a chance to win it all.

Alexander might be a bit better, as he could run rampant on the team that dropped him.
    Pretty much all older veterans who want to continue their career a few years more say they want to play for a winner. Heck if he's lucky, maybe he'll get his wish, though it seems much more likely he'll have to play for a team that needs him if he wants to continue his career. It will be interesting to see if he gets any offers. Alexander might be worth a look if he's willing to embrace a backup role. But then there's the money end of it too. It could be Spags may prefer to stand pat with the current stable of youngsters, we'll just have to stay tuned ..

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I'll pass. I want to put the ball in Darby's or Pittman's hands. Time to get the new blood serious playing time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

tonyray05 is offline Registered User

I agree with Moose that Darby and Pittman should get their chance to be a quality back up, but if we can get Deuce at the minnimun, and healthy what would it hurt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast