lostsoul is offline Registered User

Would anyone be mad if we drafted...

Would anyone be mad if we drafted Rolando Mcclain? He can play SLB. He's a proven leader and in my opinion the best LB in the draft.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by lostsoul; -02-07-2010 at 04:05 PM.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

Re: Would anyone be mad if we drafted...

I would be angry if we picked him. He is projected to get in the teens as of right now. There is no way that we would pick him with the #1 overall pick. That's way too high for a linebacker. Even if he was the greatest linebacker to ever play the game, that would mean tying up a large sum of money into our linebacker corps.

That means to get him, we would have to find someone to trade with us. I am not sure if anyone sitting in the teens right now would be willing to give us the huge package that would be required for us to move out of the top ten. We would have to be getting 3-4 top picks in the first three rounds for me to even consider pulling the trigger on some kind of deal like this

richtree is offline Registered User

the problem is everyone that is good will be drafted between our frist and second round picks.

we need a gift where late first round teams draft for need and leave someone on the board for us, just liked JL slipped last year.

Last years draft was deep with WR's and LB"S so one of them had to fall. We just got lucky that someone actually liked Malauga over JL.

This year we need a QB, WR, OLB, or DE to fall if we take SUH.

IF we take a QB pick one that we need a WR, OLB, DE, or DT to fall.

With this years draft being sooo deep, I feel sure we will get a great pick in round 2.

I am focusing on D.Alexander WR because I truly, truly feel that there 90% chance that Sean Weatherspoon doesn't make it that far.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by lostsoul View Post
    Would anyone be mad if we drafted Rolando Mcclain?
    If the question is just in general, then no, I'm not aware of any huge red flags that would take him off our board altogether. If the question is in relation to the first round, I think Spags would be laughed out of the league if he took McClain when he could have had one of the top defensive tackles or quarterbacks.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Since you didn't specify a round (like Goldenfleece said) then no. If he's dropped to the top of the 2nd round pick him. As the idea of picking him in the first is laughable, so for discussion sake I'm assume you meant 2. The Rams have a ton of holes, and he fits a hole, so as long as he's BPA I trust they know what they're doing. That said its highly improbable he'll be there, but you never know..

lostsoul is offline Registered User

I meant in the first round.
    In college he was basicly the Peyton Manning of the defense, audibling and telling players where to line up.
    Most draft experts rated him around the 5th best player in country.
    Maybe its just me but if i could get a great linebacker who could lead the defense with the first pick or a QB who may not even be the best in the Draft let alone a franchise QB I would take a LB no question.

Maybe im just trying to think of something besides DT vs QB just to make things different around here but i think Mcclain will be something special when he comes to the Pro's.

Just tryin to switch things up a bit guys.
    Last edited by lostsoul; -02-08-2010 at 12:35 AM.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

In college he was basicly the Peyton Manning of the defense, audibling and telling players where to line up.
    Maybe its just me but if i could get a great linebacker who could lead the defense with the first pick or a QB who may not even be the best in the Draft let alone a franchise QB I would take a LB no question.

Maybe im just trying to think of something besides DT vs QB just to make things different around here but i think Mcclain will be something special when he comes to the Pro's.

Didn't mean to be too harsh, it's just that linebackers are very rarely taken in the top five. Aaron Curry was taken at #4 last year, but he was widely considered the best defensive player in the draft. Even then, another team passed on him to take a defensive end who fit their scheme. I think many of us are buying into the theory that it all starts in the trenches, and without good linemen, we won't have a good pass rush and our linebackers will get mauled by much larger blockers on run plays.

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

talented dude, but yes i would be mad if we took him with the #1 pick in the draft. i'd rather wait for spoon in the 2nd, if he falls.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

They said the same type of stuff about James Laurinaitis, and he dropped to the top of the second round.

You dont take a linebacker first overall if he is the fifth best player in the country, especially since it probably means there are four other guys you should be drafting before him!!

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Oh ok, my mistake I thought you meant 2nd. I've seen him mock drafted anywhere from 11-20. I understand your reasoning for liking him, and if the Rams were 1 LB away from the Super Bowl then I could understand reaching for him, but as of now I don't believe its even the biggest hole on the team and there are a handful of players rated higher that fill bigger needs as well.

I appreciate what you're trying to do in keeping things interesting. Its a whole lot better than making another Vick thread

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaRamFan View Post
    I don't believe its even the biggest hole on the team and there are a handful of players rated higher that fill bigger needs as well.
    This basically sums it up. I really see no logical reason the Rams would pick him first overall. I'm not sure any team would in this class.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

If the Rams honestly felt he was the best player in the draft, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Either you are in favor of the BPA approach or you aren't.

Alec22 is offline Registered User

rey and JL both fell, so who knows maybe kindle and mcclain fall

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Rolando will not drop out of the top ten. On and off the field he's everything you look for a top tier player. But even though I'm a huge Bama fan, you can't take him first overall. Guys like Eric Berry and Suh should be rated higher. Now if we were to trade down, I would love to have him.

He has the size and speed to play any of the linebacker positions and is a good pass rusher. His instincts are off the charts against the run and he can drop back and play coverage as well. Watching Rolando play has been great. Because it really is like watching the Peyton Manning of defense. The way he makes calls out there and moves everyone around. He's ready to step in and start from day one, and I would go so far as to say he is a cant miss prospect.

All that being said. Linebacker is a tough position taking first overall. Would love to have him around four or five though.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.