Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

THIS WOULD BE GREAT: Giants might be releasing Robins DT

NY DAILY NEWS
    Ralph Vacchiano
    March 1, 2009

Will Canty push Robbins out?

Update: 4:55 p.m.
    Itís starting to look like before the end of the day, Cowboys defensive lineman Chris Canty will be a Giant. ďThereís a chance,Ē his agent, Brad Blank, told me a few minutes ago.
    And that just canít be good news for veteran defensive tackle Fred Robbins.
    Somethingís got to give, as several NFL sources have told me in the last few hours, if the Giants sign the 26-year-old Canty, and it appears the 31-year-old Robbins might be it. Nobody can imagine the Giants sticking with all four veteran defensive tackles in a rotation that would include Canty, Robbins, Barry Cofield and the newly signed Rocky Bernard.
    For one thing, it would be ridiculously expensive ó about $12.5 million between the four of them, assuming Canty gets his $6 million per year and Bernard, as reported elsewhere, got about $4 million per year (Robbins is due $2 million in 2009 and Cofield is due $530,000). For another thing, while the depth is nice, playing time would become an issue. At most theyíd average 20 snaps per player, per game (remember, DE Justin Tuck will figure into the DT rotation on passing downs), and they donít need to spend that much money on what essentially would become a group of part-time players.
    Thatís why it was so hard to believe, at first, that the Giants would go hard after Canty. But apparently they are. In the last two hours, Cantyís agent, Brad Blank, has confirmed that he and the Giants are well into their contract talks. He got an offer from the Giants, sent them a counter-propsal, and now heís awaiting a response from them.
    According to one source familiar with the talks, the two sides are within striking distance of each other, though they still have a little bit of work to do on how much Canty will get up front. I havenít yet nailed down any numbers, but sources around the league ó away from the negotiations ó keep throwing out that $6 million per year average.
    Update: Blank, in an interview with Scout.com (you need a subscription to access it), said the Giantsí offer was ďvery decent.Ē He also added that ďeven though the Giants have signed a defensive lineman (DT Rocky Bernard), theyíve offered Chris substantially more than what they signed the other guy for and they still lust after Chris.Ē
    If the Giants and Canty canít work out a deal, Blank said his client will hope a flight to Green Bay, where the Packers have been getting more and more interested by the day. The Seattle Seahawks had a visit with Canty planned for Monday, but they canceled earlier today, Blank said, after they signed former Packers DT Colin Cole to a five-year, $21 million deal with $5 million guaranteed.
    Thatís an average of $4.2 million for Cole, by the way, and heís not in Cantyís class. So $6 million per year might end up being a low guess.
    The Giants donít have to cut Robbins if they sign Canty ó not for the cap room, anyway ó but given the financial commitment it would seem clear that Canty and Bernard would end up the Giants starters. And, given his age (24) and salary, Cofield likely isnít going anywhere. That leaves the aging Robbins, whoíll be 32 in March and who suffered through shoulder and hand injuries last season that dramatically limited his effectiveness as the season went on. Six weeks into the season he had 5 Ĺ sacks and looked to be on his way to the Pro Bowl.
    But in the final 10 games he had no sacks, missed two games with injuries, and then he had to have knee surgery after the season, too.
    Heís not getting any younger and, since heís entering the final year of the six-year, $20 million contract he signed in 2009, the Giants would actually save $1.3 million in cap space if they cut him.
    Again, something has got to give because Canty is getting very close to becoming a Giant.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -03-01-2009 at 08:24 PM.

Re: THIS WOULD BE GREAT: Giants might be releasing Robins DT

He has started the last three years in Spags system. He will be 32 years old this month but the last three years he has had 5.5 sacks per year. His age should cause him to be a cheaper siging but his production could still be good for the next three years. Last year he missed 2 games but the two prior years he played in all 16 games. He is 6'4 and 317 pounds he don't really project as much as a NT but he would be able to get after the passer some.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -03-01-2009 at 08:38 PM.

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    He has started the last three years in Spags system. He will be 32 years old this month but the last three years he has had 5.5 sacks per year. His age should cause him to be a cheaper siging but his production could still be good for the next three years. Last year he missed 2 games but the two prior years he played in all 16 games. He is 6'4 and 317 pounds he don't really project as much as a NT but he would be able to get after the passer some.
    Sounds like LaRoi Glover to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Sounds like LaRoi Glover to me.
    Laroi Glover
    .5 sacks last year
    35 yrs(2009)
    6'2

Fred Robbins
    5.5 sacks last year
    32 (3 years younger)
    6'4 (2 inches taller)
    317 (32 pounds heavier)

Robbins has played in the Giants system and has been a very productive fulltime starter. I think he is much better then Glover at this point in their careers. He is also stout at the point of attack and improves our run defense. It would be a good DT rotation with Robbins, Ryan, and Carriker. Carriker could even move out to DE on short yardage situations with Robbins and Ryan at DT. He collapses the pocket and puts pressure on the QB.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -03-01-2009 at 09:58 PM.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

The reason the giants went after Canty and Bernard is because Robbins play was detereotating. I would rather have a big body to stuff the run and take up blocks so Ryan and Carriker can take a pass rushing role that they are more suited for.

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    I would rather have a big body to stuff the run and take up blocks so Ryan and Carriker can take a pass rushing role that they are more suited for.
    Robbins actually has a big body 6'4 317 they don't get much bigger and he has been very good against the run. I have talked about possibly wanting Ron Brace in the 2nd round 6'3 330 to play NT. But the bad thing about him is he dont get to the passer. He can help others but he himself cant apply pressure. Thats not the case with Robbins he can get to the passer. As for Ryan he is not a pass rusher 32 games 2 sacks. I would be fine with a guy like Brace in the 2nd but this could be a cheap sigining that would fill another area of need. Then we could use our 2nd pick on another area of need. Robbins would be an instant starter for the next two years until we can fill some other areas. 5.5 sacks from a guy thats good against the run is not shabby at all.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -03-01-2009 at 09:58 PM.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Laroi Glover
    .5 sacks last year
    35 yrs(2009)
    6'2

Fred Robbins
    5.5 sacks last year
    32 (3 years younger)
    6'4 (2 inches taller)
    317 (32 pounds heavier)

Robbins has played in the Giants system and has been a very productive fulltime starter. I think he is much better then Glover at this point in their careers. He is also stout at the point of attack and improves our run defense. It would be a good DT rotation with Robbins, Ryan, and Carriker. Carriker could even move out to DE on short yardage situations with Robbins and Ryan at DT. He collapses the pocket and puts pressure on the QB.
    I see Bar-Bq's point here. When we signed Glover he was 32(i think or he was close to 32) and he was doing pretty good at the time.

Last year the Rams were the 3rd oldest team in the league. And after signing Jason Brown (not Matt Birk or Jeff Saturday) the Rams made a statement and that is WE are going young next year. I do see a Pace And Holt trade coming in the next few days. Lets focus on Javon Haye or Dewayne Robertson.

Robbins actually has a big body 6'4 317 they don't get much bigger and he has been very good against the run. I have talked about possibly wanting Ron Brace in the 2nd round 6'3 330 to play NT. But the bad thing about him is he dont get to the passer. He can help others but he himself cant apply pressure. Thats not the case with Robbins he can get to the passer. As for Ryan he is not a pass rusher 32 games 2 sacks. I would be fine with a guy like Brace in the 2nd but this could be a cheap sigining that would fill another area of need. Then we could use our 2nd pick on another area of need. Robbins would be an instant starter for the next two years until we can fill some other areas. 5.5 sacks from a guy thats good against the run is not shabby at all.
    The Giants obviously saw his skills deteriorating or they wouldn't have gon after those 2 dts as hard. Yes they do get bigger than 317 Ryan is around there but shorter. I'm talking at least 325+. WE need a NT, this guy is old and doesn't fit the youth movement. I think he would hinder the development of Carriker even more since they play the same position. He would be a stop gap. We don't need a pass rushing DT, we need a big guy to take up blocks and stuff the run so our LBs can be free and our other lineman don't face double teams.

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    I see Bar-Bq's point here. Lets focus on Javon Haye or Dewayne Robertson.
    If you see his point then you can't think he wants us to go after those two. Haye 6'2 285 (32 pounds less) and Robertson 6'1 308 (9 pounds less). Bar-Bq is saying the guy has to weigh 8 pounds more then Robbins. Robbins was 32 pounds heavier then Glover.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -03-02-2009 at 01:11 AM.

Yes they do get bigger than 317 Ryan is around there but shorter. I'm talking at least 325+.
    So who do you recommend thats only 8 pounds or more heavier then Robbins and younger then he is? By the way roto times lists him at 6'4 325 so I guess it depends on what day you catch him. I am sure that if you wanted him to gain 8 pounds he could do that if he is not already there within a few meals.

I think he would hinder the development of Carriker even more since they play the same position. He would be a stop gap. We don't need a pass rushing DT, we need a big guy to take up blocks and stuff the run so our LBs can be free and our other lineman don't face double teams.
    I dont see why they both could not play DT name the last time we had a true NT? He is bigger then Glover and Ryan and is known as a run stuffer that can collapse the pocket. If you look into it they were saying they really missed him last year when he was out. They wanted him to help stuff the run. He does stuff the run show me one article that says he is not a run stuffer.

Hard to imagine he is all washed up if he was better then Tuck at the begining of last year. As for him being past his prime read these articles last year. Justin Tuck said this about him on September 23 last year:

Justin Tuck says he's not the Giants' best d-lineman
    He thinks it's Fred Robbins,who has had two sacks in each of the last two games.
    Hard to imagine a 317-pound man being under the radar, but Robbins sure is. He's been a major force the first three games. The Giants will need continued contributions as we move forward.

NY Giants RB Brandon Jacobs praises DT Fred Robbins

by Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger Wednesday July 30, 2008, 2:59 PM

ALBANY, N.Y. - In my practice reports, I try to give you my best look at what's going on from the sidelines here at camp, but I don't always have the best angle and I obviously can't watch 22 players at once. Nor do I have the advantage of going back to the film like the players and coaches can.
    So when I hear a player praise a teammate, I like to drop that here as well because they know better than anybody. Today, RB Brandon Jacobs said a few good things about DT Fred Robbins.
    "He's shown a lot of improvement from last year to this year. He's really looking good in there," Jacobs said. "He didn't have a bad year last year, but this year should be better than last year."
    Robbins was credited with 42 tackles last season and tied a career-high by recording 5¬Ĺ sacks for the second straight year. But apparently, there was room for improvement.
    "I think Fred has definitely come around and done really well this camp," Jacobs said. "It makes me feel good because if our guys are having problems with Fred, I know everyone else will, too."
    When asked in which areas Robbins has improved, Jacobs said, "He's a lot quicker. He's almost 10 times quicker than he was last year, coming off the ball, getting in the backfield and causing problems for us."
    Robbins had already left the lunch area, so I wasn't able to ask him about any of this.

ROBBINS HAS A HAND IN BIG BLUE'S SUCCESS
    By PAUL SCHWARTZ
    Last updated: 10:12 am
    October 31, 2008
    Posted: 2:55 am
    October 31, 2008
    There is no Giants player who qualifies as more of unsung hero status than defensive tackle Fred Robbins. He rarely gets the accolades of heralded defensive ends Justin Tuck and Mathias Kiwanuka, but quietly is an effective and at times dominating defender.
    Robbins is second on the team behind Tuck with 5� sacks, and he is part of a front group that successfully shuts down opposing running games.

You hear nothing but good things about this guy and yes I think he is better then Glover and he is not 285 he is 317. 32 pounds difference is a lot. You said you wanted an 8 pound bigger DT so you should think there is no comparison between two guys with a 32 pound difference.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -03-02-2009 at 12:53 AM. Reason: No links

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

If you see his point then you can't think he wants us to go after those two. Haye 6'2 285 (32 pounds less) and Robertson 6'1 308 (9 pounds less). Bar-Bq is saying the guy has to weigh 8 pounds more then Robbins. Robbins was 32 pounds heavier then Glover.
    Woah, woah. Hold up.

From my perspective, weight and height had little to do with it.

I was saying that despite the physical difference, the situation with Robbins is comparable to one of the first moves Linehan made upon his arrival: Signing a veteran (which they both are) 4-3 Under Tackle (which they both are) to become part of the DL rotation (which they both have been). Both men are/were more than familiar with the defensive schemes, Glover playing for Haslett in NO, and Robbins for Spagnuolo in New York.

Awful similar, no?

cfh128 is offline Registered User

What a weird guy to be man-crushing

Weddle is offline Registered User

I think it would be a good signing. Might help Carriker out...

So who do you recommend thats only 8 pounds or more heavier then Robbins and younger then he is? By the way roto times lists him at 6'4 325 so I guess it depends on what day you catch him. I am sure that if you wanted him to gain 8 pounds he could do that if he is not already there within a few meals.

I dont see why they both could not play DT name the last time we had a true NT? He is bigger then Glover and Ryan and is known as a run stuffer that can collapse the pocket. If you look into it they were saying they really missed him last year when he was out. They wanted him to help stuff the run. He does stuff the run show me one article that says he is not a run stuffer.

Hard to imagine he is all washed up if he was better then Tuck at the begining of last year. As for him being past his prime read these articles last year. Justin Tuck said this about him on September 23 last year:

Justin Tuck says he's not the Giants' best d-lineman
    He thinks it's Fred Robbins,who has had two sacks in each of the last two games.
    Hard to imagine a 317-pound man being under the radar, but Robbins sure is. He's been a major force the first three games. The Giants will need continued contributions as we move forward.

NY Giants RB Brandon Jacobs praises DT Fred Robbins

by Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger Wednesday July 30, 2008, 2:59 PM

ALBANY, N.Y. - In my practice reports, I try to give you my best look at what's going on from the sidelines here at camp, but I don't always have the best angle and I obviously can't watch 22 players at once. Nor do I have the advantage of going back to the film like the players and coaches can.
    So when I hear a player praise a teammate, I like to drop that here as well because they know better than anybody. Today, RB Brandon Jacobs said a few good things about DT Fred Robbins.
    "He's shown a lot of improvement from last year to this year. He's really looking good in there," Jacobs said. "He didn't have a bad year last year, but this year should be better than last year."
    Robbins was credited with 42 tackles last season and tied a career-high by recording 5¬Ĺ sacks for the second straight year. But apparently, there was room for improvement.
    "I think Fred has definitely come around and done really well this camp," Jacobs said. "It makes me feel good because if our guys are having problems with Fred, I know everyone else will, too."
    When asked in which areas Robbins has improved, Jacobs said, "He's a lot quicker. He's almost 10 times quicker than he was last year, coming off the ball, getting in the backfield and causing problems for us."
    Robbins had already left the lunch area, so I wasn't able to ask him about any of this.

ROBBINS HAS A HAND IN BIG BLUE'S SUCCESS
    By PAUL SCHWARTZ
    Last updated: 10:12 am
    October 31, 2008
    Posted: 2:55 am
    October 31, 2008
    There is no Giants player who qualifies as more of unsung hero status than defensive tackle Fred Robbins. He rarely gets the accolades of heralded defensive ends Justin Tuck and Mathias Kiwanuka, but quietly is an effective and at times dominating defender.
    Robbins is second on the team behind Tuck with 5� sacks, and he is part of a front group that successfully shuts down opposing running games.

You hear nothing but good things about this guy and yes I think he is better then Glover and he is not 285 he is 317. 32 pounds difference is a lot. You said you wanted an 8 pound bigger DT so you should think there is no comparison between two guys with a 32 pound difference.
    You are just proving my point, when was the last time the Rams had a true NT!?!?!?!? We definately need one. We are a rebuilding team it makes no sense to bring in a guy who doesn't fill a need for 2 years. You are ignoring the fact the Giants spent big money on 2 DTs. Do you know how many sacks he got in the last 8 games of the season?... ZERO!!!!!! Where did his sacks come from in those first 8 games. Well 2 came from our horrible line another 2 from Cincinatis horrible line and 1.5 from the terrible Whinners. He is not that good

You are ignoring the fact the Giants spent big money on 2 DTs. Do you know how many sacks he got in the last 8 games of the season?... ZERO!!!!!! Where did his sacks come from in those first 8 games. Well 2 came from our horrible line another 2 from Cincinatis horrible line and 1.5 from the terrible Whinners. He is not that good
    You saying he is not that good is ignoring everything players, coaches, and media have said about him. The three articles from last year thought highly of him and there are many more. No one is saying he is a great player but he is a better DT at this point then anyone we have on our roster.

No I am not ignoring any fact if I was ignoring it this post would not exist you are the one thatís ignoring the facts before the season started players on the team were commenting about him playing at his best ever level. Then Tuck during the season said he was the best DL at the beginning of the season. He got injured and played partially injured last year he had a minor knee scope this off-season that cleaned it up. The guys salary is only 2mil thatís it. He is not a high priced signing and he knows Spags system. As for him getting 5.5 cheap sacks as you say that ridiculous why didn't Tuck have as many sacks then. He had 5.5 sacks in first 6 games but thatís not even the most important factor. What is important is he collapses the pocket and stuffs the run. I guarantee if he is released Spags will try to sign him. As for NT's there are more teams going without a true NT then there are teams going with a true NT. You donít have to have a true NT to have a good DL. I know several NY area residents that are Ram fans and they are all saying we should run to sign this guy if released. Now I am not saying he is a savior or anything but all his teammates last year had nothing but good things to say about Robbins and the players brought up his play not the media.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -03-02-2009 at 08:19 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast