Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Would Jeff Fisher Be Tempted to Go DT ?

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Would Jeff Fisher Be Tempted to Go DT ?

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    One thing is certain... when you fall for a player, you fall hard.
    Only if the player is worth it! To me Donald is one of those guys I'd pound the table for. Too many times we here the "he's too small" argument. Who cares? If the guy can play that's the ONLY thing that matters. And considering the fact that Aaron Donald had 30 sacks in 4 years and absolutely killed the Senior Bowl as well as his tape, that's enough to get me.

If Aaron Donald was 6'3 and weighed 305 lbs we'd be talking about a top 5 pick right now.

THE DREAM TEAM

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post

Only if the player is worth it! To me Donald is one of those guys I'd pound the table for. Too many times we here the "he's too small" argument. Who cares? If the guy can play that's the ONLY thing that matters. And considering the fact that Aaron Donald had 30 sacks in 4 years and absolutely killed the Senior Bowl as well as his tape, that's enough to get me.

If Aaron Donald was 6'3 and weighed 305 lbs we'd be talking about a top 5 pick right now.
    Yeah, and if Manziel was 6'3, 225, he'd be the consensus first overall pick.

I like Donald, but I'm not ready to project him as high as #13.

Yeah, and if Manziel was 6'3, 225, he'd be the consensus first overall pick.

I like Donald, but I'm not ready to project him as high as #13.
    I would happily take him at #13, but I don't think it's necessary. I believe we can execute a trade down to at least 5 spots and do what we did to acquire Ogletree last year.

THE DREAM TEAM

Rambos is offline Registered User

If the Rams solve their OT problem by re-signing Saffold, and if they feel comfortable with Barksdale at RT, I might even look at a DT after a trede down to say, 6th, and then go safety, linebacker, cornerback at 13,
    Anything is possible, I would not mind a DT if the Rams got the Browns to give us their second first rounder. Rams could go Matthews at 4 and add a CB,S or WR at 13 and then at 26 take Donald or Hernigan. A DT at six would be a tough sell for me.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Too many times we here the "he's too small" argument. Who cares? If the guy can play that's the ONLY thing that matters.
    Someone get word out that we can cancel the Scouting Combine then, since... who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Someone get word out that we can cancel the Scouting Combine then, since... who cares?
    The combine? The combine is much much more than measuring a guys height, weight, and arms length. The simple fact that a guy can go to a combine and do terrific or horrible should tell you all you need to know about how much he cares and his work ethic/determination.

THE DREAM TEAM

The combine? The combine is much much more than measuring a guys height, weight, and arms length. The simple fact that a guy can go to a combine and do terrific or horrible should tell you all you need to know about how much he cares and his work ethic/determination.
    Irrelevant, for as you said, the only thing that matters is if a guy can play.

Irrelevant, for as you said, the only thing that matters is if a guy can play.
    Look no further than Russell Wilson and Drew Brees. Or perhaps the DeSean Jackson's of the world. Sure size is nice to have, but at the end of the day it's only a reallllllly small piece to a really large puzzle.

THE DREAM TEAM

Look no further than Russell Wilson and Drew Brees. Or perhaps the DeSean Jackson's of the world. Sure size is nice to have, but at the end of the day it's only a reallllllly small piece to a really large puzzle.
    Let me start by saying it's easy to name the success stories of guys who are short or light and have worked out, because those names are well known. But for every 6'1" Geno Atkins, there was a 6'1" Brian Price, Jeff Owens, or Boo Robinson in that 2010 class. How did 6'1" 282 lbs Pittsburgh DT Mick Williams work out in the NFL?
    You're simply repeating points that have already been countered at this point.

Again, it's easy to name the Russell Wilson's of the world. But their notoriety shouldn't be confused for proof that size does not matter. For every Russell Wilson success story, there's a Zach Collaros, Kellen Moore, and B.J. Daniels failure story.

Yes, some players are able to overcome their lack of ideal size because of their ability, technique, and determination. But those players are the rare exception, not the rule. To sit here and say size is only a really small piece of the puzzle is just inaccurate, IMO.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

I doubt the Rams care too much about a guy's measurements, they just drafted a guy who is 5-8 and weighed 175 pounds. If Jeff Fisher thinks a guy can play, he's going to draft him regardless of his size.
    sosa39rams likes this.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    I doubt the Rams care too much about a guy's measurements, they just drafted a guy who is 5-8 and weighed 175 pounds. If Jeff Fisher thinks a guy can play, he's going to draft him regardless of his size.
    Sorry, but you can't compare a WR to a DT in this context.
    laram0 likes this.

Sorry, but you can't compare a WR to a DT in this context.
    Actually you can, a DT doesn't have to worry too much about getting tackled after every play or getting nailed by a safety going up the middle, unlike a WR does. Jeff's draft history shows that he values a player's heart and playmaking ability over any size concerns. Not saying that he draft's a bunch of Rudy's, but if he thinks Donald can play and help his team he'd draft him. Also, a DT's game is based mostly on a combination of quickness, strength, and leverage, which are all traits Donald has shown he plays with
    sosa39rams likes this.

You're simply repeating points that have already been countered at this point.

Again, it's easy to name the Russell Wilson's of the world. But their notoriety shouldn't be confused for proof that size does not matter. For every Russell Wilson success story, there's a Zach Collaros, Kellen Moore, and B.J. Daniels failure story.

Yes, some players are able to overcome their lack of ideal size because of their ability, technique, and determination. But those players are the rare exception, not the rule. To sit here and say size is only a really small piece of the puzzle is just inaccurate, IMO.
    Wow! Those guys must of all been highly touted borderline top 20 picks.... WELP. Kellen Moore? Really Nick? You're comparing 7th round picks and UDFA's to a guy who is currently going to be a 1st round pick?

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    I doubt the Rams care too much about a guy's measurements, they just drafted a guy who is 5-8 and weighed 175 pounds.
    So because the Rams drafted Tavon Austin, that proves they don't care too much about the size of any prospects they draft?

That seems like an incredibly weak argument to me.

Wow! Those guys must of all been highly touted borderline top 20 picks.... WELP. Kellen Moore? Really Nick? You're comparing 7th round picks and UDFA's to a guy who is currently going to be a 1st round pick?
    Would you prefer guys like Colt McCoy, Pat White, or Troy Smith? I mean, it's not as if there's a huge pool of 5'11" quarterback prospects to use as examples. It's almost as if it's pretty rare for a player who doesn't meet the size expectations of a position to be highly regarded as a pro prospect. Who would have thought?

Even the two examples you're holding up for your argument - Brees and Wilson - were second and third round picks themselves, not Top 20 amazing prospects when they came out. Why? Because size is an important consideration, not a throwaway "Who cares?" part of the process.

I mean, I could go on and continue listing the numerous examples of undersized guys who haven't found success at the NFL level, or you could simply admit that there are more players who did not satisfy the size standards of a position and have failed than there are those who have succeeded in the league.

That doesn't mean Donald will be one of them, just that he'd be the exception and not the rule.
    TekeRam likes this.

So because the Rams drafted Tavon Austin, that proves they don't care too much about the size of any prospects they draft?

That seems like an incredibly weak argument to me.
    Actually, I'm not even sure you know what my argument even was Nick. My argument was that Jeff Fisher would be less worried about a guy's measurements and more on his work ethic and playmaking abilities. Were talking about Fisher here, the same guy who drafted a RB who weighed 195 pounds and had him run the ball 250-300 times a year.

I'm not saying that Donald's guaranteed multiple Pro Bowls in his future, but I think he has a pretty high floor and I'd much rather the Rams draft him than some raw potential guy with size
    sosa39rams likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast