MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Would we trade up for Cherilus?

If Gosder Cherilus were available late in round one, and Rams wanted him, what would we have to give up in order to trade back into the first round - say from the 24th pick on down. Would this year's 2nd and next year's 4th rd picks be enough?

24. Tennessee
    25. Seattle
    26. Jacksonville
    27. San Diego
    28. Dallas
    29. San Francisco (from Indianapolis)
    30. Green Bay
    * New England (pick forfeited)
    31. New York Giants

One more thing: How could you not want a behemoth named "Gosder" on your roster? With a name like that, you just know he'll become a household name (for all the right reasons I might add!).

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Would we trade up for Cherilus?

We may end up having to give up next years #1 or #2 to move up into the first round again.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

It depends.

If we want to move up from #33 to somewhere into the 20s, it might not be too pricey. For example, using the Draft Trade Value Chart, a package of the Rams' second and fourth round picks would be enough to move up to around pick 26 or 27.

On the other hand, if the Rams wished to simply get an extra first round pick, while retaining pick #33, they'd probably have to be ready to give up their 2009 first pick along with maybe a 4th or 5th rounder this year.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    It depends.

If we want to move up from #33 to somewhere into the 20s, it might not be too pricey. For example, using the Draft Trade Value Chart, a package of the Rams' second and fourth round picks would be enough to move up to around pick 26 or 27.

On the other hand, if the Rams wished to simply get an extra first round pick, while retaining pick #33, they'd probably have to be ready to give up their 2009 first pick along with maybe a 4th or 5th rounder this year.
    Intriguing thought trading next years #1 - expecially since you wouldn't know for sure which player would be there at #33. I think I'd be tempted to let go of the 2nd and 4th this year (a 668 point value) as our first round pick next year would likely be worth 800 pts or more - maybe alot more were we to draft in the top 15, which unfortunately, is a distinct possibility.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

It depends on what sort of player you're looking for.

The obvious need at this stage for a tackle is to replace Orlando Pace, and to have a player who can fill in in case of injury. However, Alex Barron has 2 years left on his contract, so unless he explodes, (which we cannot be certain of (I'm holding on hope)), it's likely we'll need a starter on the right side aswell.

Cherilus projets to be a prototype Right Tackle, meaning Barron's position, not Pace's. So if you're looking to replace Barron already, then Cherilus is your guy. I do believe it would be worthwile investing, say, a fourth rounder from this year or next to move up and take him if the FO are convinced Barron has extinguished his chances to prove himself.

But if you're looking to replace Pace, you might have to look at other players who project more specifically to the left side.

Now, here's where it gets interesting.

We also have a need at wide reciever, and there looks to be an abundance of talent that projects to sit in that 25-35 zone. Manningham, Hardy etc. Do you take a right tackle in Cherilus there knowing that the WR corps is in need of a slot man/eventual starter? WR's, by football cliche, generally take about 3 years before they fully acclimate themselves to NFL game speed. Torry Holt's contract also expires in 2 years. He's hinted in the past about early retirment. We don't know how Bennett will handle a starting role in Saunders' offense. Do you take a WR there? Do you sit tight and hope you land an Avery/Hawkins at the top of the third?

My opinion is that if you want Cherilus, (assuming, this is, that we've taken Gholston/Chris Long in round one) by all means go and get him. Then you take a chance on Hawkins/Avery being there in the third round. In next year's draft, you're still looking for that great LT prospect to replace Orlando Pace...of course, that all falls to pieces if Pace is either hurt this year, or retires hurt at the end of the season. Then, chance are you'll be starting with a rookie on the Left Side, unless you give Barron a starting job for one more year on the left to let your rookie develop.

It's certainly the most interesting Rams draft predicament we've had in a little while, due to the sheer abundance of options. Hopefully, Devaney and co. know which option is best.

eric2810 is offline Registered User

hey just wondering, if we wanted to move up in the late first round, could we give up our #33 and all the Compensatory picks that we received.. would this work?

TekeRam is offline Registered User

First off Eric, we only got one compensatory pick, the last one in the draft. Second, you can't trade compensatory picks. So to answer your question, no.

As for my feelings about this, I feel that with as many holes as we have, we can't afford to trade up unless we are absolutely certain about a player. We should be able to pick players with grades in the round above every single time, and as such, get good value because other teams have reached. I would prefer to grab BPA in every round with slight preference to critical needs, such as the big three, DE, WR and OT.

chiguy is online now Registered User

Rather than move up to the bottom of the third round, why not try to get another 2nd round pick? Its cheaper (we don't have a lot of cap flexibility), its easier to get, and there is great value there at positions of need (tackle, wide receiver). I would be very pleased by a draft of Gholston/Long, OT, and WR in the first two rounds.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Chiguy, do you mean trade up into the 2nd or trade down, probably in a three way trade to pick up a second 2nd rounder?

I'm very very much in favor of trading down, trading up, not so much. We need all the picks we can get.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I don't think we give up a top 5 pick in next years draft for Cherilus....

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I don't think we give up a top 5 pick in next years draft for Cherilus....
    Ouch!

You are one pessimistic, cowpoke, Tx.

chiguy is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Chiguy, do you mean trade up into the 2nd or trade down, probably in a three way trade to pick up a second 2nd rounder?

I'm very very much in favor of trading down, trading up, not so much. We need all the picks we can get.
    I'd prefer to move down and pick up 2nd round picks, but that wouldn't be easy. We need players, but we need *quality* players a lot more, so I'd probably still think about a trade to get *back* into the 2nd round if there one of the OTs and WRs I liked there.