View Poll Results: Would you trade (in this hypothetical) a 2nd for Andre Johnson?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 50.00%
  • No

7 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Would YOU Approve of this?

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Would YOU Approve of this?

The Rams (for hypothetical's) land the #2 pick because Washington is so bad. The Rams also land the #9 pick with their own disappointing season. At #2, the Rams realize there are a lot of teams that want to move up and secure a QB or a franchise player like Jadeveon Clowney.

The Rams decide to capitalize. We trade back to anywhere in the first round (likely around #8 [Browns] who decided they need a franchise QB). This would be the deal:

Rams:

Give up the #2 pick (2014).
    Receive the Browns #8 pick (2014), 2014 2nd round pick, 2015 2nd round pick, 2015 4th round pick.

Once the Rams have slid back and completed the deal, the Rams draft whoever they please at #8 and at #9. The reason I talk about this deal, is because this would give us an extra 2nd that I would deal to the Houston Texans for Andre Johnson. New coaching staff, unloading a big contract and older player, and re-building their franchise is why they should do it.

It would be huge for the Rams as well. AJ would give us a #1 WR and a dominant player outside the numbers. I think it's possible too. I'd release Scott Wells, Harvey Dahl, re-structure Cortland and Sam.

This is the Rams and Texans trade:

Rams trade (2014) 2nd round pick from Browns to Texans.
    Rams receive Andre Johnson.

Look at some of the recent WR's who have been traded, they've been big for their respective teams. Brandon Marshall was passed up on twice by us and many others and is a top 5 WR in this league. Anquan Boldin has been solid for the *****.

Would you?

THE DREAM TEAM

Randart is online now Registered User

Re: Would YOU Approve of this?

Voted yes even though I think we have fine young recievers already but he is an established star and has and is what we hope Quick might become one day. But for the positives you mentioned and the fact he has no real trouble off the field issues which guys like Marshall do have... I feel he will be unavailable or the Texicans would want more than that second rounder. Think we have to keep building through the draft for our skill guys. But I am sure opinions vary widely on this issue. I am excited about the draft scenarios you painted though. We could end up with two top 10 picks that is kinda magical in it self!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    I like AJ, but a second round pick is too much for a WR who will be 33 when next season starts.
    thoey and laram0 like this.

DE_Ramfan is online now Registered User

If we were one player away from a ring I'd consider it. Too much to give up for a 32 year old WR on a team building for the long haul.

Boldin was had for a 6th. I wouldn't give more than that for AJ
    ManofGod likes this.

punahou is offline Registered User

Andre Johnson IMO is too old to give up a 2nd rounder for, plus I cant imagine a team where AJohnson AND Corteland Finnegan play together.
    ManofGod likes this.

bruce4life is offline Registered User
    Whats a 2nd rounder to us anyway? Weve drafted Jenkins, Pead, and Quick. So we have hit on 1 of 3. I would take Andre in a heartbeat for simple fact that I'd rather have a proven player for 3 years than a what if draft pick.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    Whats a 2nd rounder to us anyway? Weve drafted Jenkins, Pead, and Quick. So we have hit on 1 of 3. I would take Andre in a heartbeat for simple fact that I'd rather have a proven player for 3 years than a what if draft pick.
    I don't think you can necessarily count on a 33 year old WR to be productive for 3 years. You can count on AJ's price tag being way more than any second round draft choice, though.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Johnson, while still very productive, hasn't looked like his former self this year. I can only see it getting worse next year. I also agree that the price is way too high. Boldin for a sixth is a great example, and the Texans FO might look at the Raven's offense this year and hesitate to throw their new rookie quarterback into a similar situation. Johnson is a nice big, safe target for a new quarterback to throw to.
    ManofGod likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I say no based on what we got, for the second.

Give up the #2 pick (2014).
    Receive the Browns #8 pick (2014), 2014 2nd round pick, 2015 2nd round pick, 2015 4th round pick.
    This may add up on the trade value chart as a fair deal points wise. But I would hope we could leverage that pick to get over paid! Not RG3 over paid but over paid none the less.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

There are two problems with trading for Andre Johnson. One, he turns 33 years old next July. Two, his 2015 salary is $10.5 million.

So sure, you could find room under the cap for him for a season, but how do you keep him after that? You won't want him at his current contract price in 2015, and how can you logistically extend him for more money after that at his age? I guess there's always the ever-mysterious trade-and-sign, but does Johnson think the Rams are enough of a contender to agree to a new extended (read: friendlier) deal in St. Louis?

I'll be very interested in seeing if someone trades for him on that deal, or if he is extended with a new team as part of a trade, what the terms are. There's also a part of me that wonders if the Texans won't just keep him for one more year as a great weapon for the QB they'll likely draft.
    ManofGod likes this.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

>>Give up the #2 pick (2014).
    Receive the Browns #8 pick (2014), 2014 2nd round pick, 2015 2nd round pick, 2015 4th round pick.>>

Not enough for a 1200 point drop on the draft trade chart, and this one, if it is Clowney or Bridgewater, should get MORE than that.

Also, when you go TWO years ahead, you drop the pick down one round, so a second 2015 is like a 2014 #3

So you are trading the second pick, worth 2600 points, for the 8th pick (actually I think the Rams will draft 8th, Cleveland 5th.), worth 1400, a second rounder worth 500, a 2015 fourth worth 38, and a 2015 #2 worth 230.

That's about 432 points short, so you'd need to up that 2015 pick to a first rounder to do this deal.
    Barry Waller

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Sorry, but 33 year old WR that make $10 million are just not worth a high second round pick.
    Barry Waller

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

No way, a 2nd round pick is way too much for a future HOFer and legit #1 receiver. I'd much rather spend that 2nd round pick on a hit-or-miss WR, and then when he doesn't work out complain about how Sam doesn't have anybody good to throw too
    sosa39rams likes this.

I think it works out well for both teams.

We need a real #1 WR and that's what Andre offers. He's a big play WR and hasn't slowed down yet. The fact that he's 33 doesn't really bother me because that's what I feel like we need. A veteran #1 WR in our WR corps. He'll attract a lot of attention and the young guys can watch him work and mimic his work style. He's still a great player and he'd help free up guys like Tavon and the opposing WR.

And I believe the Texans take the deal because they are starting new here. Andre has a expensive contract and they can unload that to someone else. They have the #1 pick so they will most likely take Teddy B. They can add another 2nd rounder and this can be the turning point of the franchise.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    There are two problems with trading for Andre Johnson. One, he turns 33 years old next July. Two, his 2015 salary is $10.5 million.

So sure, you could find room under the cap for him for a season, but how do you keep him after that? You won't want him at his current contract price in 2015, and how can you logistically extend him for more money after that at his age? I guess there's always the ever-mysterious trade-and-sign, but does Johnson think the Rams are enough of a contender to agree to a new extended (read: friendlier) deal in St. Louis?

I'll be very interested in seeing if someone trades for him on that deal, or if he is extended with a new team as part of a trade, what the terms are. There's also a part of me that wonders if the Texans won't just keep him for one more year as a great weapon for the QB they'll likely draft.
    His contract still has two years:

2015: 10.5 million
    2016: 11 million

Now would I wan't to pay that? Of course we could use it around the 6.5-7 mark, but he's still elite. Outside of injury concerns (soft tissue injuries) he hasn't had a noticeable slow-down, especially with the QB carousel he's currently playing with. To me he offers something Sam's never had. A big body WR who is fast but will WIN. You throw the ball deep, you throw it up, he's going to go get it. He'd be a big time addition. I think his next contract depends on how he finishes here. Two years would put him at the 35/36 age, similar to Reggie Wayne, who is still dominant. Also, like AV mentioned in another thread, the loss of Reggie has certainly hurt Luck and the Colts offense BIG time.
    Vinnie25 likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast