Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Would you be disappointed?

Rambos is online now Registered User

Would you be disappointed?

Would you be disappointed if the Rams made the best trade they could to acquire as many draft picks being offered by any team? The deal is from the Falcons to move up and take Jake Matthews and not Jadeveon Clowney.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Re: Would you be disappointed?

I'd rather the Rams have one great and a couple really good players than stick at #2 and only get one great players… the Rams are more than one great player away from being Super Bowl contenders

Mikey is offline Registered User

I likely would.

I feel the Rams are an improved OLine and secondary away from being playoff contenders. With the coordinators coming around the second half of the season I think those are the two biggest areas we need to upgrade. Safety play was so up and down the corners could not do their proper job. It also affected run support. Time and time again I saw Long without support from a safety or LB on his side when they ran at him. Yet Quinn was rarely the only player stopping a run to his side.

It's mind boggling to think we had so many different combinations to our OLine for a season. Our LG situation was so up and down that for the first half of the season, until injuries depleted our depth, Fisher was rotating RG from series to series.

I know we can't fix all this in the draft, even though I'd imagine we'll be the NFLs youngest team for a third straight year, I see the draft as where they'll address it more than in free agency. We have a lot of dead money coming off the books but we also see some escalation in salaries for some Vets that are signed long term. Also we're going to need to save some cap space and try to resign Quinn long term this year. They've got to make a run at it now because if we wait to let him duplicate this season next year it's going to get very expensive. Then we'll likely see JL, Long and or Bradford going away because of their price tags and we're getting to the point where some of these great and deep draft classes we've had are going to need to be resigned or replaced through the draft. At times I envy Sneed and his job, then I consider the salary cap...

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Would you be disappointed if the Rams made the best trade they could to acquire as many draft picks being offered by any team? The deal is from the Falcons to move up and take Jake Matthews and not Jadeveon Clowney.
    What would they be offering, can you explicate?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I likely would.

I feel the Rams are an improved OLine and secondary away from being playoff contenders. With the coordinators coming around the second half of the season I think those are the two biggest areas we need to upgrade. Safety play was so up and down the corners could not do their proper job. It also affected run support. Time and time again I saw Long without support from a safety or LB on his side when they ran at him. Yet Quinn was rarely the only player stopping a run to his side.

It's mind boggling to think we had so many different combinations to our OLine for a season. Our LG situation was so up and down that for the first half of the season, until injuries depleted our depth, Fisher was rotating RG from series to series.

I know we can't fix all this in the draft, even though I'd imagine we'll be the NFLs youngest team for a third straight year, I see the draft as where they'll address it more than in free agency. We have a lot of dead money coming off the books but we also see some escalation in salaries for some Vets that are signed long term. Also we're going to need to save some cap space and try to resign Quinn long term this year. They've got to make a run at it now because if we wait to let him duplicate this season next year it's going to get very expensive. Then we'll likely see JL, Long and or Bradford going away because of their price tags and we're getting to the point where some of these great and deep draft classes we've had are going to need to be resigned or replaced through the draft. At times I envy Sneed and his job, then I consider the salary cap...
    Sounds to me you might like it.

Safety two ways to get one, draft one or get one a FA. Draft the best one at 13 or sign the pro bowler Jairus Byrd.

Cut Wells and Harvey Dahl and use that cash for Jairus Byrd safety spot is done!

Bite the bullet and draft Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn at the 6th spot that may be high but we off set that by moving back in the first place... use some of the extra picks and load up on young O linemen. Grab two more in rounds two and or three. We already have Jones and Joe Barksdale both young players adding three more to that group would be great. Our O line is full of older and often injured players until we have a youth movement like we did on the D line it will always be rotating players and filling holes left by players that can't stay healthy. Funny how our D line is built around three young guys Long, Quinn and Brockers... now we need to do the same on the O line.

I agree O line and safety need to be addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    What would they be offering, can you explicate?
    I don't have a clue Maui. But if it was the best of all the other offers would you be upset that we let Jake go to the Falcons? I would think there will be decent offers from teams to move up for Clowney or a QB. It might rock some worlds is we move back knowing the team we traded with is taking the best player of need from us.

I think there are some on this board that think we have to get Jake period.

I don't have a clue Maui. But if it was the best of all the other offers would you be upset that we let Jake go to the Falcons? I would think there will be decent offers from teams to move up for Clowney or a QB. It might rock some worlds is we move back knowing the team we traded with is taking the best player of need from us.

I think there are some on this board that think we have to get Jake period.
    Honestly, I don't know about Jake. I'd sure love to have him in horns given his bloodlines and obvious talent, but is he really worth this year's #2 overall? Is there an OT who is clearly head and shoulders above the other prospects? I simply don't know. (I was after all, one of the guys who wanted Jason Smith - yep, I admit it.)

I believe in Fish and Snead's talent evaluation skills. So my answer is no - I wouldn't be that upset if we pass on him. I do believe we will upgrade the O-line in the draft, and if Jeff/Les perceive that there is solid talent available in later rounds - so be it. On the other hand, if teams aren't willing to offer us the farm, and we select Matthews, I'd have to believe that Fish/Snead will have made the best choice to improve the team.
    Rambos likes this.

Sounds to me you might like it.

Safety two ways to get one, draft one or get one a FA. Draft the best one at 13 or sign the pro bowler Jairus Byrd.

Cut Wells and Harvey Dahl and use that cash for Jairus Byrd safety spot is done!

Bite the bullet and draft Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn at the 6th spot that may be high but we off set that by moving back in the first place... use some of the extra picks and load up on young O linemen. Grab two more in rounds two and or three. We already have Jones and Joe Barksdale both young players adding three more to that group would be great. Our O line is full of older and often injured players until we have a youth movement like we did on the D line it will always be rotating players and filling holes left by players that can't stay healthy. Funny how our D line is built around three young guys Long, Quinn and Brockers... now we need to do the same on the O line.

I agree O line and safety need to be addressed.
    I could like it it's possible. I think I'd rather continue through the draft. We don't need any more Wells, Dahl, Langford or Finnegan contracts. Veterans around the age of thirty seem to come in and have a year or two of great production then fall off. I'm really torn on this but leaning to build through the draft with minimal outside free agent money spent.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

As long as the compensation was worth it.........no, I wouldn't be disappointed at all.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

I disagree, the Falcon's biggest flaw is their defense and if they were to trade up it would most likely be to snag Clowney or Barr. This draft is full of good OT prospects, I'm sure if ATL really wanted to address that position they'd be able to trade back into the 1st round

Plus their LT will be coming back from injury and I believe has a huge contract. Little chance they move on from that.

I could like it it's possible. I think I'd rather continue through the draft. We don't need any more Wells, Dahl, Langford or Finnegan contracts. Veterans around the age of thirty seem to come in and have a year or two of great production then fall off. I'm really torn on this but leaning to build through the draft with minimal outside free agent money spent.
    I couldn't agree more that minimal FA money contributes to a team's success over time. Even high round picks are cheap (given the new rookie wage scale), compared to high profile free agents. In the long run, building through the draft is clearly the best way if you have a coach and GM who are highly skilled at evaluating talent. If the coach/GM are not great evaluators, then they'll likely strike out in free agency as well - just at a higher price. The problem with building through the draft is that it takes time, and we are impatient.

Does anyone want to hear that the Rams won't really contend until 2016? My own gut feeling is that 2015 will be the year we make a splash (playoffs), as by then all our 2014 draft class will have a year of NFL experience under their belt. It could happen sooner, but I'm not expecting it.

The good news is that once our roster is finally stocked, (depth being a big part), we should remain competitive year in and year out. All we need is a wise and patient owner, and it appears we might finally have one.

Plus their LT will be coming back from injury and I believe has a huge contract. Little chance they move on from that.
    Kind of sounds like the Rams but yet we want him. He can play RT for a few year if need be.

This sums them up

Upgrade the offensive line. This is the most obvious of the Falcons’ myriad needs. Atlanta is 31st (of 32 teams) in rushing yardage, because linemen aren’t opening holes – the Falcons ranked 29th last season. Also, quarterback Matt Ryan has been sacked 24 times this year compared to 28 times a season ago.

Left guard Justin Blaylock has been OK, but the rest of the line has been a disaster, including left tackle Sam Baker before he got injured. The Falcons have invested too much money in Baker and can’t cut him for cap purposes. So the three positions to upgrade are center, right guard and right tackle.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Brought this up on another thread. If the Falcons come up to #2 thier O line is worse than ours. Very good chance they take Matthews and there is no way you would get Clowney at 6. But you could possibly end up with Barr which would also be very good...So to answer the question... If we didn't get Clowney, Matthews or Barr that would suck...

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyramsfan View Post
    Brought this up on another thread. If the Falcons come up to #2 thier O line is worse than ours. Very good chance they take Matthews and there is no way you would get Clowney at 6. But you could possibly end up with Barr which would also be very good...So to answer the question... If we didn't get Clowney, Matthews or Barr that would suck...
    I wouldn't mind taking Sammy Watkins at #6, seems like a great value pick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast