Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    general counsel is offline Registered User

Would you give up a #3 pick to....

What would you give up to go from #11 to #6 assuming that would get you The Hawk. I think we need the hawk a LOT more than the pass rushing stud williams.

Would you give up a #3 to get the hawk?

ramming speed to all, sign big grease, keep ike, bring back marshall and get bates on board,

general counsel

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Re: Would you give up a #3 pick to....

First of all, G.C., I think it would take a lot more than a #3 to move up 5 slots in this draft. But I am inclined to go the other way. I am not impressed with the players projected to be available at the 11th spot. Therefore I would much rather see the Rams trade DOWN and acquire extra picks.

WHAT SAY YE?

I dont know enough at this point to have a view on value. I think i agree that realistically, we are looking at huff, greenway and jimmy williams as the potential selectins at #11.

what do you think it would take to get up to take the hawk? I wouldnt give up a #2 to do it, we need too much help.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

majorram is offline Registered User

I don't really know much about the draft players but would jimmy williams be good value at the 11 spot????

steve:clanram:
    "The breakfast Club"

rampete is offline Registered User

NO...

i wouldn't trade up in this upcoming draft, simply for the reason that this is a top heavy talent-laden draft...the first two rounds have legitimate 1st rd talents and we all know that many pro-bowlers have come from 2nd rds in the past...

although aj hawk is a top blue chip prospect i feel there are other needs on our defense that are just as desperate in need of revamping...we need to upgrade the d-line (is it just coincidence that b. urlacher of the bears had one of his finest seasons in conjunction with the great play of the bears front four on d? i think not) and secondary as well, especially at the safety position if archuleta is let go by linehan and the new DC...

guys like ngata DT, huff DB, greenway LB, kiwanuka DE, deangelo RB and maybe j. williams DB will be available at #11...i'd be happy with any one of those guys...

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

I agree with most of your post rampete. I also would not trade up in this draft. However, I'm not all that excited at staying at #11 either. Of the players you mentioned as being possibly available only Ngata and Deangelo Williams would cause me to stay at the 11 spot. As far as the rest, I say trade down to the 15 to 18 area, pick up some extra picks, and take whichever player is there. I do not like drafting the safety or OLB position that high in the draft as a usual course of business.

WHAT SAY YE?

ngata wont be around at #11 in my opinion and i dont see how we can use a #1 on a defensive tackle, assuming we resign pickett. we need depth at the position to replace the nutcracker, but i dont think you can give up on kennedy at this point.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

I watched Hawk play a lot this year. I think he is a tiny bit overrated, not in the sense that he's not going to be good or great even, but in the sense of trading up for him. I don't think hes worth trading up for, there are a few LBs in this draft that could serve us well without having to trade up.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Assuming we'd move up to the fifth overall slot from 11th overall, the value would more likely be a second than a third, and even then it may cost a bit more.

So with that said, I would say no. We have more needs than just LB, and the draft pick we trade to move up and grab Hawk could be used to address another one of those needs. Hawk is a great player, but I think there are a number of very good LB prospects in this draft that we wouldn't have to trade up to get.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

harrydog is offline Registered User

I agree that it would cost more than just a 3rd round pick to move up 5 or 6 spots in the draft. In fact I'm pretty sure it would cost more than a 2nd round pick. I also agree with ramsbruce who said Hawk may be just a bit overrated. He's very good but I just have a feeling that he may not turn out to be the best LB in the draft.
    So, NO, I would not want to trade up to get him.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

According to the standard draft value chart, a jump from #11 to #6 would cost us our 2nd round pick OR our 3rd through 7th picks. That's not written in stone of course, but a guideline.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

gc, if you tell me the hawk is going to be another urlacher(theres no way to know that) i say do it, go up and get him, if not trade down and get some extra picks,but do not take another d-line guy with that high of a pick.

rampete is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable
    ...I say trade down to the 15 to 18 area, pick up some extra picks, and take whichever player is there...
    good points ramarkable, if there is a demand from a team in that range i'd agree to trade down and pick up an extra 3rd rounder...

Quote Originally Posted by GC
    ...i dont see how we can use a #1 on a defensive tackle, assuming we resign pickett. we need depth at the position to replace the nutcracker, but i dont think you can give up on kennedy at this point.
    valid point but it remains to be seen if zygmunt will resign pickett ...

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

I wouldnt do it. There are two dominant LBs that will be available at the #11 spot in DeMeco Ryans and Chad Greenway. Based on the tapes that I saw, I wonder if Hawk will even be the best LB coming out of this draft. Anyone that is really interested in the draft, I suggest you find some games of

Chad Greenway
    DeMeco Ryans
    Abdul Hodge
    Freddie Roach

If any of those four guys is selected by St.Louis at some point in this draft, then I will be very excited about our LB corps next season.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

harrydog is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    According to the standard draft value chart, a jump from #11 to #6 would cost us our 2nd round pick OR our 3rd through 7th picks. That's not written in stone of course, but a guideline.
    Yes, but that doesn't mean much really. It all depends on what talent is available and how desperate a team is to aquire that particular player. Remember what Mike Ditka gave up to get Ricky Williams?
    It's also common for teams to give up picks in the current draft and also the following year's draft to move up. It seems to me that more often than not, teams end up over paying to move up in the draft.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast