Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: would you make this trade with the falcons?

general counsel is offline Registered User

would you make this trade with the falcons?

This week in the atlanta journal constitution, the falcons beat writer suggested that the Falcons trade the #6 to the Rams for the #2, with the rams getting the falcons second round pick this year and next year. The Falcons would be making the move up for Clowney.

Question. Assuming both Clowney and Matthews are available at #2, and further assuming that no better trade offers are available, would you stay put at #2 and take clowney or mathews or make the deal with the falcons?

My view is that if the Rams really think Clowney is a dominant all pro pass rusher, you probably stay where you are and take him, but if they are going to pass on clowney and go offensive tackle, you make the deal because i dont believe that the difference between mathews and robinson is two #2 picks, especially since the falcons #2 this year is a high second rounder. In this scenario, clowney and 3 qb's likely go in the top 4 and who knows what the raiders would do at 5, meaning the rams might even get mathews at 6 and could do no worse than robinson, barr or whoever else we wanted.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    I would. The Rams might still get Matthews and, if he is gone, they could get Robinson or Watkins.

Re: would you make this trade with the falcons?

I think this potential trade is very realistic if the texans pass on clowney. The rams and falcons are good trading partners for all the reasons people have mentioned in other posts. This one is not a boatload of stuff, but it is a very solid and realistic intersection of need and value, which also doesnt have us dropping down too far.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Nick, KoaKoi and Randart like this.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Even though I'm hoping the Rams could get at least another 1st rounder in any trade down, this trade might be more realistic. Falcons get their man in Clowney, Rams get a high 2nd round pick, and depending on who the Raiders, either Watkins and Matthews should still be there at 6

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

I absolutely would take this trade because the Rams will still come away with a blue-chip player. Whether it be Watkins, Matthews, or another OT, I think the chance to add another two starters (assuming the picks pan out) with the two second round picks is worth moving down a few spots.

That said, I really would like to get another 1st round pick next year, so I'd be more inclined to do 3rd this year and 1st next year. But heck, if it were JUST a second this year there were available I'd take it. I just think the quality of player isn't going to change much from 2-6, especially if there are a couple of QB's picked in there.
    Vinnie25 likes this.

I think AtlantaRamFan hit the nail on the head. Unless the Rams fall completely in love with Clowney and just feel he is too good to pass up, adding another starter caliber guy (ie with atlanta's #2 pick this year) would be tough to pass up because the difference between 2 and 6 (clowney excluded and with us not needing a qb) is not all that great.

The question for Fisher and Snead comes down to this- Clowney, or Matthews/Robinson plus whatever they get with Atlanta's #2. Interesting choice, because i really do believe that the falcons would do this deal.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

The value of the trade down, according to the trade chart, is 1000 points.

The value of the 5th pick in round 2 is 530. When calculating future picks, they use the last pick in that round, the worst case scenario.

That pick in round two is worth just 270 points, so this deal would fall 300 short, or a third round pick.

Even if you figure Atlanta as a non playoff team in 2014, a mid second is ony worth 430, so you are still a late 4th short.

Now that is the average cost for such a move, and for a guy like Clowney is said to be, teams may be willing to overpay a bit .

All you need is two suitors, and I bet the Rams woud have more than that.
    Vinnie25 likes this.
    Barry Waller

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I would demand their 1st next year, particularly because I believe they'll return to the playoffs next year. But even then, it would be a worse case scenario, as I believe there'll be better offers from other teams.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

no thanks so we likely miss out on Watkins, Clowney and Matthews to get two seconds, no way

The question wasnt whether we could get more. Maybe we can. The question was whether you would do the deal if you couldnt get more. I wont be surprised if we get "more" but i think you have to be careful in terms of how you define more, because a lot depends on how we view need vs value and where we think the dropoff is at key positions of need. Some of that depends on free agency as well.

I dont follow you mcpee. If the 3 qb's and clowney go 1-4, we cant miss out on both matthews and watkins if we have pick 6. I am also interested in why you think mathews is so much better than robinson that you dont think the difference between those 2 guys is worth a high second round pick.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Question. Assuming both Clowney and Matthews are available at #2, and further assuming that no better trade offers are available, would you stay put at #2 and take clowney or mathews or make the deal with the falcons?
    Assuming no better trade offer is on the table, I would take that deal. The Rams are still likely to get either Matthews or Robinson at six.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I would say no to that trade. If the Browns made that offer I'd say yes.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Done. (Done…done…done…necessary to get over the post length minimum.)

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    The question wasnt whether we could get more. Maybe we can. The question was whether you would do the deal if you couldnt get more. I wont be surprised if we get "more" but i think you have to be careful in terms of how you define more, because a lot depends on how we view need vs value and where we think the dropoff is at key positions of need. Some of that depends on free agency as well.

I dont follow you mcpee. If the 3 qb's and clowney go 1-4, we cant miss out on both matthews and watkins if we have pick 6. I am also interested in why you think mathews is so much better than robinson that you dont think the difference between those 2 guys is worth a high second round pick.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    After agonizing a bit, I think I'd decline and take Clowney.

demiurge is offline Registered User

Yeah, I'd probably take it. I might counter off with the same basic package and see if I could move up a few in another round by switching picks, but the basic package is about the right value.

I'm a very solid no for Clowney. Don't need him, don't expect him to be as good as the guys we've got when his career is over and done with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast