throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    general counsel is offline Registered User

would you pick broehm in round 2?

Mel Kipper has brian broehm out of the first round. Should the rams use a #2 pick to take him?

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Drew Guest

Re: would you pick broehm in round 2?

is a tough one, GC....i think if Linehan was in the first year of his contract then it would be more likely to happen,the fact that he`s in the "win this year to save your job" boat,probably means it aint gonna happen!

i would tho...

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Yes.

While QB is not an immediate need, Bulger is getting up there in years and was injured almost all last season. It takes a young QB several years to grow into a decent starter anyway, so more than any other position you'd like to draft a QB a couple years before he's needed.

In the mean time, he will provide much needed depth behind Bulger.

Additionally, look at where our drafting needs will be over the next few years. Several of our biggest holes (LT, DE, QB) are positions that are premium positions. To get an top-ranked pass-rushing DE, or franchise LT or QB, you generally need to spend a top 10 pick. Hopefully we can fill one of these positions with this year's draft, but nevertheless we have several holes in these premium positions opening up over the next few years. This is worrying to me. If we could fill 2 of these this year (DE/LT round 1, QB round 2) this would keep us from getting behind the curve in future years.

I understand that from the perspective of the 2008 season alone, we have more pressing needs than a backup QB. But that's what you get when you draft a young QB. It takes young QBs time to progress, and you must look at it as a long-term decision. We can get great interior linemen, strong safeties, and wide receivers in later rounds, or next year. But if a top-rated QB falls into our lap, I think it's simply too much value to pass on considering that it's a 2nd tier need anyway.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

No way. Why would we do that. We just payed Bulger big time and he is one of the top 10 Qb's in the league the rams have so many more spots to address before QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    Yes.

While QB is not an immediate need, Bulger is getting up there in years and was injured almost all last season. It takes a young QB several years to grow into a decent starter anyway, so more than any other position you'd like to draft a QB a couple years before he's needed.

In the mean time, he will provide much needed depth behind Bulger.

Additionally, look at where our drafting needs will be over the next few years. Several of our biggest holes (LT, DE, QB) are positions that are premium positions. To get an top-ranked pass-rushing DE, or franchise LT or QB, you generally need to spend a top 10 pick. Hopefully we can fill one of these positions with this year's draft, but nevertheless we have several holes in these premium positions opening up over the next few years. This is worrying to me. If we could fill 2 of these this year (DE/LT round 1, QB round 2) this would keep us from getting behind the curve in future years.

I understand that from the perspective of the 2008 season alone, we have more pressing needs than a backup QB. But that's what you get when you draft a young QB. It takes young QBs time to progress, and you must look at it as a long-term decision. We can get great interior linemen, strong safeties, and wide receivers in later rounds, or next year. But if a top-rated QB falls into our lap, I think it's simply too much value to pass on considering that it's a 2nd tier need anyway.
    We have a premimum guy in Bulger what we don't have is a premium line. How can you say QB is a top 3 need that ridiculous. You don't spend a second on a back up , when you have a top 10 franchise QB signed for the next six years. You can get a developmental guy in the later rounds who can still be a back up, without neglecting huge needs

txramsfan is offline Registered User

No, but if we don't WR in Round 2.....the Cartman side of me is going to be really pissed off.....Seriously.

RedArcher7 Guest

Up they're in years? If the Colts were drafting at our slot would they spend it on a quarterback? No freaking way. Marc Bulger isn't Peyton Manning, I know that's not even close to the point. We have our franchise quarterback, we just got married to him there's no way with so many other needs you take a pretty boy quarterback made to look good by a huge flux of talent around him.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    We have a premimum guy in Bulger what we don't have is a premium line. How can you say QB is a top 3 need that ridiculous. You don't spend a second on a back up , when you have a top 10 franchise QB signed for the next six years. You can get a developmental guy in the later rounds who can still be a back up, without neglecting huge needs
    Where did I say QB was a top 3 need? I said it was a need at a premium position, that's completely different. QB is around need #10 (I'm just making this up).

However, will QB be a need in 3 or 4 years? Because oftentimes that's how long it takes to groom a starting QB.

Edited to add: Last year after Miami passed on Brady Quinn, Mel Kiper suggested the Rams could pick him up. After a year in which Bulger was injury plagued and looked fragile at times, why would it all of a sudden be so ridiculous? Optimally, when you draft, you draft for future needs, not current needs. To say that QB is not a current need is obviously true, but I'm not arguing it is.
    Last edited by Nick_Weasel; -02-15-2008 at 08:55 PM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

That's an interesting question. I find it hard to believe that, with a good combine/workout performance, he'll drop from the first round. If he did, though, he could easily qualify at the BPA at #33.

Edited to add: Last year after Miami passed on Brady Quinn, Mel Kiper suggested the Rams could pick him up. After a year in which Bulger was injury plagued and looked fragile at times, why would it all of a sudden be so ridiculous? Optimally, when you draft, you draft for future needs, not current needs. To say that QB is not a current need is obviously true, but I'm not arguing it is.
    Last year Bulger didn't have a fat 6 year contract. Also he suggested it as a remote possibility

TekeRam is offline Registered User

If we didn't just lock up Bulger on a 6 year contract, I'd obviously say yes. If this was next year I may think about it, and if it was two years, I'd say yes, no thinking about it. The fact is, we have many more pressing needs than QB depth(especially if we pick up Collins), and unless something unforeseen happens, we won't need a starting QB for at least 3-4 years.

What I would do, would be to shop the pick to Chicago or Baltimore who maybe passed up a QB in round one.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Edited to add: Last year after Miami passed on Brady Quinn, Mel Kiper suggested the Rams could pick him up. After a year in which Bulger was injury plagued and looked fragile at times, why would it all of a sudden be so ridiculous?
    I can think of $65 million reasons why.

I think the second day is going to be the place to try and find a quarterback. We simply have too many areas that need to be filled on this team, many of which should still have good value in the second and third rounds.

itsguud is offline Registered User

I would rather us pick up an older guy from FA, that can not only be a backup but can also help Bulger develop more as our Franchise QB. He was amazing before taking a beating this year, and I think his confidence is just shaken. I would like to see a good vet. come in who has been through it and help him out.

Chris58 is offline Registered User

I like Bulger and hope he can turn last season around into an All-Pro season in 2008. But when some folks talk about our depth at QB, I am wondering what they are talking about. Is Ferrotte our depth? Judging by posts on ClanRam, I don't think he has our confidence. Berlin? Most don't give him too much credit. Banking on signing Collins is just wishful thinking at this time. So until we get some depth at QB, I am not feeling comfortable for Bulger, regardless our OL health, drafts or FA acquisitions. So if a good QB prospect is on the board to be taken, I say it would not be a bad move.

keith m. klink Guest

if JOE FLACCO IS AVAILABLE , i'd would take him before brohn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast