throwback week

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: would you pick broehm in round 2?

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Mel Kipper has brian broehm out of the first round. Should the rams use a #2 pick to take him?

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    First off, it is hard to project which need positions will exist after we have signed a few free agents. If we were to bring in a free agent who could start at guard, and backup at tackle, then maybe yes. However, as tx mentioned, the aforementioned OL acquisition would also allow us to pick up a new toy for Al Saunders at WR.

Looking at the situation overall I think we can get by another year or 2 with what we have at QB, even longer if Marc gets decent protection. It is quite possible the Rams (because of the A. Saunders hire) will bring in a FA QB to compete with Gus F. If we take a QB in the draft this year, I would guess it will be late on day 2.

So my answer to your question GC is no .. as we have too many other team needs. As many have pointed out, we really need to hit a homerun in the 2008 draft, therefore selecting a player at #33 overall who would in all likelihood ride pine for at least 2 maybe even 3 or more years would not be a wise decision ...

general counsel is offline Registered User

maui, interesting analysis which makes good sense. However, doesnt the same rationale apply to the potential selection of jake long? As long as pace can play, long wont play ahead of him. Also, barron wont be replaced by long at least in year one. Thus, can we afford to use the #2 pick on a guy that wont see the field this year barring injury?

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    maui, interesting analysis which makes good sense. However, doesnt the same rationale apply to the potential selection of jake long? As long as pace can play, long wont play ahead of him. Also, barron wont be replaced by long at least in year one. Thus, can we afford to use the #2 pick on a guy that wont see the field this year barring injury?

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    That is precisely the reason I hope we do NOT draft Jake Long. Whoever we select at #2 overall (presuming we don't trade out) will be expected to start, or at the very least play a big part in out D-line rotation.

Dominator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    Where did I say QB was a top 3 need? I said it was a need at a premium position, that's completely different. QB is around need #10 (I'm just making this up).

However, will QB be a need in 3 or 4 years? Because oftentimes that's how long it takes to groom a starting QB.

Edited to add: Last year after Miami passed on Brady Quinn, Mel Kiper suggested the Rams could pick him up. After a year in which Bulger was injury plagued and looked fragile at times, why would it all of a sudden be so ridiculous? Optimally, when you draft, you draft for future needs, not current needs. To say that QB is not a current need is obviously true, but I'm not arguing it is.
    The problem with you theory is that in 3-4 years when your "need" arises, Brohm will only have one year left on his rookie deal and then he'll be a free agent. Not much sense in grooming the guy that long when you're going to have to lock him up and quite possibly spend big to do it. IMO, grooming guys for 3-4 years is not the way to go in today's NFL.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12