Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BarronWade is offline Registered User

Would you take Dez Bryant in the 1st?

iight so i got another scenerio for you guys. Most of us want either Clausen or Suh. I had a thread earlier about both of them off the board and i got some pretty good responses. There are reports out that Locker might not declare for the draft but il assume he does:

(a similar scenerio was posted in a response to rockin's mock draft)

(1) Browns- Jimmy Clausen QB
    (2) Lions - Ndamukong Suh DT
    (3) Bucs - Gerald McCoy DT
    (4) Raiders - Jake Locker (40 time) ( if Locker dont declare its Taylor Mays)

(5) Rams- Dez Bryant?

Would you draft Dez Bryant in the top 5 eventhough he is suspended this whole year?

Or would you go Defense with Eric Berry (if OJ doesnt re sign), Carlos Dunlap DE (IMO overrated), Russel Okung (run blocker OT), CJ Spiller RB (AV Ram brought my attention to this kid and i think it could work), or Sam Bradford (he has a terrific O-line and when he comes to the rams he will get an average to slightly above average O-line so the injuries might start pilling. )

The reason Dez Bryant is suspended is because he lied about having contact with an agent or something. Does that disqualify him for "violation of Spag's 4 pillars". (would lying be considered character problem?)

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Would you take Dez Bryant in the 1st?

Under your scenario, my first choice would be Bradford, but if his health is still a concern, I'd consider the BPMA (Best Play Maker Available). My top 2 right now are Spiller and Bryant.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    Would you draft Dez Bryant in the top 5 eventhough he is suspended this whole year?
    If you evaluate the guy and he's one of the Top Five players on your board when the draft rolls around, absolutely. Personally I think his year suspension is pretty ridiculous. I think this article kind of sums up many of my feelings on it...

Ego fuels Dez Bryant's suspension
    By Jemele Hill
    Page 2
    Friday, October 30, 2009

The NCAA's mission, in its purest form, is admirable.

It's just the hypocritical, arbitrary, outdated way the NCAA tries to accomplish its mission that's counterproductive and asinine.

Surely by now you've heard about what happened to Oklahoma State's Dez Bryant, the talented wide receiver who was suspended for the rest of this season for lying to the NCAA about visiting with former NFL star Deion Sanders.

In a rare NCAA move, college's governing body actually handed out a swift, harsh punishment. But in an all-too-common NCAA move, they overreacted and got it wrong.

Consequences and justice are two different things. Unless there's a smoking gun we don't know about, the NCAA's decision to suspend Bryant didn't make a lick of sense, neither did their explanation. The appropriate punishment for Bryant would have been a multiple-game suspension. Put that in perspective by looking atwith some recent infractions committed by college athletes. Oregon suspended LeGarrette Blount, presumably for the season, for punching another player in the face and going after belligerent fans in the crowd. The NCAA ruled Oklahoma players Rhett Bomar and J.D Quinn ineligible for a year after they knowingly took money for summer work they didn't do.

Was Bryant's lie more serious than any of those offenses? Was anyone endangered or given a competitive advantage?

Put yourself in Bryant's shoes. One of the greatest defensive backs in NFL history wants to meet with you. You, as an aspiring professional football player, are dying to ask him what the NFL is like and what you should expect. You also want to peek inside his world and see how "Prime Time" really lives. You hang out with him and the next thing you know, NCAA investigators are asking you questions.

So what do you do? You remember the NCAA's rulebook is as long as a Tolstoy novel. You don't think you did anything wrong, but you don't really know for sure. You don't have the OSU compliance department on speed dial, so you panic. You lie. You lie because you want to keep playing. You lie because you don't want to disappoint your teammates and your university. It's lying out of fear versus lying out of malice.

Should that cost you the rest of your season?

"I made a mistake; I wish I hadn't," Bryant told ESPNDallas.com in a video interview.

I get that panic isn't a good excuse for lying to the authorities, but as far as anyone knows, that was Bryant's only wrongdoing. It turns out his meeting with Sanders wasn't an NCAA violation, so Bryant was punished over a rule he never broke.

It's been theorized that the NCAA made an example out of Bryant to prevent other athletes from lying to NCAA investigators, but the Bryant decision seems more about ego than deterrence.

For most college football players missing even one game is excruciating, so if Bryant were told to sit out four to six games, that would have been enough of a warning shot to other college players.

But don't think the NCAA is immune to the criticism it has received for how it handles major violations committed by major programs. At this rate, the NCAA won't punish USC for the Reggie Bush and O.J. Mayo scandals until both athletes are eligible for AARP -- assuming, of course, USC is ever punished at all. Despite the fact that there's a paper trail from here to Nova Scotia that suggests USC was in the wrong, the NCAA is "still investigating."

It's decisions like the one in the Bryant case that not only make college sports a complete turnoff, but also make anyone unable to trust that the NCAA is operating in the best interest of its athletes. Suspending Bryant doesn't do anything but give college football fans one less Heisman Trophy candidate to watch. It's not like his powwow with Sanders gave the Cowboys any advantage. Bryant didn't gain anything financially, so how exactly was justice served?

The junior hasn't officially announced he's going to the NFL and is currently appealing to the Student-Athlete Reinstatement Committee for reinstatement, but if you're him, why even bother?

Bryant, who had 19 touchdowns and 1,480 receiving yards last season, is expected to be a top-10 pick in the NFL draft. Considering how thoughtlessly the NCAA ruled, why would he ever want to put himself under their twisted jurisdiction again?

Bryant's suspension definitely sent a message about the NCAA, and that's that self-righteousness is more important than justice.

It's amazing, really. LeGarrette Blount completely clocks a guy in the face and gets reinstated. Brandon Spikes very intentionally tries to gouge a Georgia player in the eyes but the SEC thinks a half game suspension is appropriate. But Bryant lies about a meeting with Deion Sanders that isn't even inappropriate, and gets ousted for the whole year? I just have a hard time seeing NFL teams thinking this is some major character flaw, unless there are some kind of other skeletons that we don't really know about that suggests this isn't an isolated incident. But I haven't read anything of that sort.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

If we don't resign Alex Barron, I would consider Okung. That's the only scenario in which I would consider Okung.

Dunlap, I don't like him.

For me, it's either Berry, Damian Williams, or Dez Bryant.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    being a Cane fan and a fan of the ACC, I have seen my fair share of CJ Spiller over the years, believe me.. if we could get CJ at the top of round 2, that would be huge for us, I couldn't see us using a top 5 pick on a RB though because that is like the one thing we really don't need. well, atleast not something we can't do without. CJ is electric, and I would welcome him to the Rams.
    There is NO WAY he lasts until the second round. Right now, he's regarded by most as a first round pick, and once he runs the 40, he'll probably be in the first 20 picks.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    (a similar scenerio was posted in a response to rockin's mock draft)

(1) Browns- Jimmy Clausen QB
    (2) Lions - Ndamukong Suh DT
    (3) Bucs - Gerald McCoy DT
    (4) Raiders - Jake Locker (40 time) ( if Locker dont declare its Taylor Mays)

(5) Rams- Dez Bryant?

My first instinct would be to say Bradford in this scenario. However, with two QBs going in front of him, this scenario might spell a concern with Bradford's health (as expressed by his non-selection from the Borwns and Raiders). So, in that case, yea, I'd consider Bryant. It would come down to who I rated the highest BPA between Bryant, Okung, and Dunlap.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I would definately take Bryant in that scenario and be extremely happy with the pick.

RamsFan16 Guest

I'm still debating this. He's a phenomenal player, and a great playmaker. But I'll wait until later in the season to make a complete yes or no claim. Currently I'm sitting at maybe. If Brandon Gibson and Donnie Avery ball out the rest of the season... We then would have a lineup of Laurant Robinson, Donnie Avery, Brandon Gibson, Keenan Burton and Danny Amendola. If we draft Dez Bryant, whose going to play slot? Are Gibson, Robinson and Avery to good to not be on the field as a 4th receiver? The Rams don't really run any 4 Wide Receiver sets, and I haven't seen any this season so far. Is it worth paying that much money for Bryant if we aren't hurting in that area?

Or do we just take the best BDPA ( Best Defensive Player Availible ). I really like that safety from Tennessee, Eric Berry I think?

So my answer, maybe...
    Last edited by RamsFan16; -11-19-2009 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    I'm still debating this. He's a phenomenal player, and a great playmaker. But I'll wait until later in the season to make a complete yes or no claim. Currently I'm sitting at maybe. If Brandon Gibson and Donnie Avery ball out the rest of the season... We then would have a lineup of Laurant Robinson, Donnie Avery, Brandon Gibson, Keenan Burton and Danny Amendola. If we draft Dez Bryant, whose going to play slot? Are Gibson, Robinson and Avery to good to not be on the field as a 4th receiver? The Rams don't really run any 4 Wide Receiver sets, and I haven't seen any this season so far. Is it worth paying that much money for Bryant if we aren't hurting in that area?

Or do we just take the best BDPA ( Best Defensive Player Availible ). I really like that safety from Tennessee, Eric Berry I think?

So my answer, maybe...
    You bring up some good points. If Gibson continues to impress and Avery finishes the year better than he started, then the Rams will have some pieces to grow on.

The problem I see is that Robinson came to this team with problems staying healthy, and then proceeded to get injured after three games. Burton had injury issues all through college, and has had to deal with injuries in both his rookie and sophomore year. Avery is not the most durable guy on the planet, either. It's tough to rely on a group of receivers who have a bit of a history getting knicked up. Furthermore, we're assuming that by the end of the year, someone has emerged as a number one option for this team. But as of right now, none have.

I guess my thinking is, if Dez Bryant is one of the best players on the board, you don't pass him up because you've already got Robinson, Gibson, Avery, and Burton. None of these guys have been able to make a consistent difference in our offense this season. Three of the four of them have some injury issues that may affect our ability to depend on them in the future. If the Rams added Bryant as a potential #1 down the road, then let the rest of the pack fight for who gets to start opposite him and who gets to man the slot. It's a problem I'd welcome, really.

RamsFan16 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    You bring up some good points. If Gibson continues to impress and Avery finishes the year better than he started, then the Rams will have some pieces to grow on.

The problem I see is that Robinson came to this team with problems staying healthy, and then proceeded to get injured after three games. Burton had injury issues all through college, and has had to deal with injuries in both his rookie and sophomore year. Avery is not the most durable guy on the planet, either. It's tough to rely on a group of receivers who have a bit of a history getting knicked up. Furthermore, we're assuming that by the end of the year, someone has emerged as a number one option for this team. But as of right now, none have.

I guess my thinking is, if Dez Bryant is one of the best players on the board, you don't pass him up because you've already got Robinson, Gibson, Avery, and Burton. None of these guys have been able to make a consistent difference in our offense this season. Three of the four of them have some injury issues that may affect our ability to depend on them in the future. If the Rams added Bryant as a potential #1 down the road, then let the rest of the pack fight for who gets to start opposite him and who gets to man the slot. It's a problem I'd welcome, really.
    I agree to some of you points of injury. The one that still get's me is Laurant Robinsons injury, where he didn't have any freak injury, he leg got completely buckled under the pile. So, yes, he's out for the season, and missed a lot of time last season, it's not a complete freak injury or anything like that. Burton, I agree, he's having some injury problems and it worries me quite a bit. He's had that history, and it hurts his potential quite a bit with him not being on the field the rest of the season. Donnie Avery has little knick knacks, and it's frustrating.

It is a nice problem yes, but do we really want to invest a lot of money into a #1 Wide Receiver like this? When ours have been "dropping dead like flies" this season? Whether it's the turf or not, we've been getting killed with these injuries and it makes me a bit uneasy drafting someone with such a high price tag onto our team, where the past few years the guys we have at that position have been hurting. I'd right now personally prefer CJ Spiller and Eric Berry over Dez at this point, and it's not his fault. Look at Tennessee, they don't have the best receievers, but they have one good back in White, and one great back in Chris Johnson and they're ( as of late ) not doing too bad. Could you imagine Steven Jackson and CJ Spiller?

It is a nice problem yes, but do we really want to invest a lot of money into a #1 Wide Receiver like this? When ours have been "dropping dead like flies" this season? Whether it's the turf or not, we've been getting killed with these injuries and it makes me a bit uneasy drafting someone with such a high price tag onto our team, where the past few years the guys we have at that position have been hurting.
    I'm not sure I understand your position. Do you not want to draft Bryant because you think he'll struggle with injuries as well? I don't think you can skip on drafting someone because of problems we've had with players at that position already on our roster. This team would greatly benefit from the addition of a true #1 receiver IMO, and I'm not convinced we currently have one on the roster. Maybe that changes by years end, but I don't think our present injury situation is a strike against drafting Bryant.

Look at Tennessee, they don't have the best receievers, but they have one good back in White, and one great back in Chris Johnson and they're ( as of late ) not doing too bad. Could you imagine Steven Jackson and CJ Spiller?
    No, because I think the Rams would have to spend their first round pick to get Spiller, and I don't think the Rams should spend such a high resource for the second punch in a 1-2 backfield combo. Furthermore, I think the Titans have a fairly solid receiving corps. Keep in mind they just spent a first round pick on Kenny Britt, and brought in Nate Washington during the offseason. So that's an area they've also identified as one to improve.

The Rams do need a second 'back behind Jackson to help him carry the load, but unless someone on this roster really makes some leaps and bounds and demonstrates an ability to be a consistent top weapon in the passing game, then I think the Rams would benefit from a true #1 receiver. If Bryant is of good value when the Rams select, I think he should be a consideration. In terms of veterans, I certainly wouldn't sneeze at Vincent Jackson if he were available as a free agent either, but I doubt he gets out of San Diego.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

People who say Bryant is the BPA are wrong, because in that situation Eric Berry is the clear cut BPA IMO. Scouts think he can play anywhere in the secondary, not just safety so OJ or not he would be in consideration. So to me it is either Berry or Bradford

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    People who say Bryant is the BPA are wrong, because in that situation Eric Berry is the clear cut BPA IMO.
    Possibly, but I think it's hard to make such definitive claims regarding prospect rankings when it's November. A lot can change between now and the draft, and while I would also anticipate Berry to be one of the top prospects available in this class, you just never know what can happen in the evaluation process.

I don't agree that C.J. Spiller should be eliminated from consideration - even if he's considered the best player available - simply because the Rams have Steven Jackson on the roster.

Chris Johnson
    Adrian Peterson
    Maurice Jones-Drew

What do they all have in common? They were all drafted by teams that already had 1,000 yard rushers on the roster.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

I agree, there really aren't many players that should be automatically eliminated just because we have talent at that position already. CJ Spiller is a stud. Zero doubt about it. Other than taking a slight stretch on a QB (simply because QB is so massively important), there really isn't a need to fill that is more important than getting the best player available.

Even if the Rams sign Barron to a one year extension (franchise tag), I'd still consider an OT if they thought he was the best player. You have to think long term and having the best talent is how you build a franchise.

Oh and if Cleveland and Oakland take QBs and they don't take Bradford, that wouldn't bother me from taking him. Those two franchises are horrible. Why should their choices impact our decision making?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast