Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BarronWade is offline Registered User

Re: Would you take Dez Bryant in the 1st?

But what do guys think about him lying?

Does that dis qualify him form Spag's re-builiding 4 pillars? Lying is not good character.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post

Does that dis qualify him form Spag's re-builiding 4 pillars? Lying is not good character.
    Who hasn't lied in their life?

Him lying to the NCAA was a bad choice, but it's not a major concern, especially on what he lied about.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I don't agree that C.J. Spiller should be eliminated from consideration - even if he's considered the best player available - simply because the Rams have Steven Jackson on the roster.

Chris Johnson
    Adrian Peterson
    Maurice Jones-Drew

What do they all have in common? They were all drafted by teams that already had 1,000 yard rushers on the roster.
    I would rate Steven Jackson as a better player than Lendel White, Chester Taylor or Fred Taylor. I don't want the Rams to spend a top 5 draft pick on a RB if they already have arguably the best back in the NFL.

The whole being suspended thing doesn't change my opinion about Dez Bryant at all. It's a rediculous suspension and it doesn't change his ability as a receiver. It looks like he will end up being a great NFL receiver from his skillset and production in college so I wouldn't have a problem with him being drafted high by the Rams.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

What do they all have in common?
    Not that much with the Rams, IMO. Neither the Jags nor the Titans spent high first round picks on their runners, and the Vikings did it only after Peterson slipped to them. The back they already had, Chester Taylor, had a pretty modest price tag so it wasn't a situation with two huge contracts. None of those three teams had runners on their roster that equaled Jackson's combination of talent, age, and price tag. I just don't envision a situation where Spiller makes sense high in the first round.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Not that much with the Rams, IMO. Neither the Jags nor the Titans spent high first round picks on their runners, and the Vikings did it only after Peterson slipped to them. The back they already had, Chester Taylor, had a pretty modest price tag so it wasn't a situation with two huge contracts. None of those three teams had runners on their roster that equaled Jackson's combination of talent, age, and price tag. I just don't envision a situation where Spiller makes sense high in the first round.
    Gotta agree there. To me he is closer to Reggie Bush than he is Chris Johnson. It makes no sense IMO to get an RB in the first 5 picks when you have a top 5 rusher in the league who is not close to hitting 30. In the top 5 Spiller has a good chance getting paid more than S-Jax which makes even less sense. Top 5 and a top 5 back in the league, How are carries going to work out. To me it just doesn't make sense financially or on the field to spend a top 5 pick on Spiller

If I was Devaney, I would not use a top 5 pick on a running back that may earn more money than Steven Jackson, a top 3 back in the league. Steven Jackson is at his high point in his career, and yes he does need a back-up to help him carry the load, but I disagree with the notion that we should grab C.J Spiller with our top 5 pick. If it was round 2 or down, I wouldn't hesitate. But round 1 with our high pick? Unlikely.

But, some C.J Spiller advocate will probably reply to this and say "good thing your not Devaney." Oh well.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Oh and if Cleveland and Oakland take QBs and they don't take Bradford, that wouldn't bother me from taking him. Those two franchises are horrible. Why should their choices impact our decision making?
    Fair enough.........hard to argue against the incompetence of those two organizations.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockinram

Him lying to the NCAA was a bad choice, but it's not a major concern, especially on what he lied about.
    Well yea, but.......it does show that he's willing to lie to authority. Today, the NCAA. Tomorrow, the Rams?

I think he absolutely needs to be considered by the Rams, but there does need to be a few heart-to-hearts with the kid to see whether that event is "indicative" or "isolated".
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

If the Rams have a top 5 pick, I wouldn't take Spiller either, because that would mean the Ram would almost certainly be in a position to take Locker, Bradford or Claussen.

But... if the Rams win a few and are picking... say, 9th or 10th (and assuming the top QBs are gone by then), I wouldn't rule him out.

Responding to some other stuff I missed the first time around and that were added later...

I agree, there really aren't many players that should be automatically eliminated just because we have talent at that position already.
    I think a top ten running back is one of them, though. At least for this team. Barring any kind of major injury.

Oh and if Cleveland and Oakland take QBs and they don't take Bradford, that wouldn't bother me from taking him. Those two franchises are horrible. Why should their choices impact our decision making?
    I agree. If the Rams are on the clock and they've graded Bradford as one of the best players available, then he's got to be in consideration regardless of what other teams ahead of them have done or how many QBs have come off the board.

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    Did you read the article I posted?

But... if the Rams win a few and are picking... say, 9th or 10th (and assuming the top QBs are gone by then), I wouldn't rule him out.
    I still would, unless maybe there's a rookie salary cap in place to prevent the massive contract a top ten skill position player is going to demand. I just don't see the Rams investing in a top ten running back so soon after giving Jackson a mega $45 million deal. A second weapon in the backfield is essential, but I don't agree with it coming in the top ten this year.

Well... we can, of course, agree to disagree.

In my view, Spiller would not be drafted merely as a #2 RB. He can play some WR, and would be a HUGE threat returning kicks and punts. I think he can do a lot of what Percy Harvin is doing in Minnesota, in addition to being a major threat as a situational RB.

The money thing is overrated. Who would get more touches/game for the $$$... Spiller or Bryant? At best, Bryant would get 6-7 touches per game. Spiller would get twice that, easily.

Also, don't discount Spags' history... he was a coach on a Giants team that made very good use of a multi-back system.

As I've said, I'll almost certainly change my mind many times between now and April, but right now I have Spiller as the #5 player on my draft board (behind Locker, Bradford, Clausen and Suh).

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    I haven't... until now. (There's a mindbender for you!)

I haven't... until now. (There's a mindbender for you!)
    Mindbender indeed.

In my view, Spiller would not be drafted merely as a #2 RB. He can play some WR, and would be a HUGE threat returning kicks and punts. I think he can do a lot of what Percy Harvin is doing in Minnesota, in addition to being a major threat as a situational RB.
    You mean the Percy Harvin that Minnesota drafted 22nd overall?

I think you're right in that we'll have to agree to disagree here. It'd be nice to have Spiller to use as a kind of utility player, but I don't think the Rams can justify using a top ten pick on the guy since it would add a second huge contract to a backfield that already has its feature player, who also just got a big deal.

And while Spags probably would like to use a multi-back rotation like the Giants did during his time in New York, his time with the Giants hopefully helped him realize that you can find situational backs in later rounds. Jacobs was a fourth rounder, Bradshaw was a seventh rounder, and Derrick Ward was signed from the Jets' practice squad I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    You mean the Percy Harvin that Minnesota drafted 22nd overall?
    That's the thing about analogies... they don't have to be a 1:1 ratio. They merely have to compare two situations that are sufficiently similar to be able to draw meaning from the comparison.

The fact that Harvin was the 22nd pick does not detract from my position. I think Spiller would be a MORE valuable player than Harvin, who does not have the ability to line up as a RB on a regular basis and enhance the Vikings' running game.

As for the money... what's the difference b/w paying Jackson and a Top 10 WR as compared to paying Jackson and a Spiller? Either way, you have two skill position players making a lot of money. The question is, which combination would be the most productive.

That's the thing about analogies... they don't have to be a 1:1 ratio. They merely have to compare two situations that are sufficiently similar to be able to draw meaning from the comparison.
    Alright, then we disagree about the defintion of "sufficiently similar." Because I see a big difference in Minnesota taking Harvin @ 22, the Titans taking Johnson @ 24, and the Rams potentially taking Spiller in the top ten.

As for the money... what's the difference b/w paying Jackson and a Top 10 WR as compared to paying Jackson and a Spiller?
    I think there are plenty of differences, but like you said, it will probably be better to just agree to disagree on this. I don't get the sense I'll be changing your mind any time soon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast