View Poll Results: Would you trade 1st pick to the Browns for?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: 2010 7th pick, 2nd rd pick & 2011 1st round pick.

66 62.26%
  • NO:

40 37.74%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BarronWade is offline Registered User

Re: Would you trade 1st pick to Browns?

Here is my problem with the trade.

Spags and co. better start winning games. We need to see the progression on the scoreboard as well as on the field. No we dont need to make the playoffs (it would be nice thou) but we need some wins.

We dont have a QB and if we do take a Colt McCoy in the 2nd that means we belive in him to become a starter and we are not taking Jake Locker in 2011 because we took a Qb so high in 2010.

And if we dont take McCoy; who will play QB? If we dont have a QB we wont win games.

Jason Cambell is an option but realistically if we do trade for him the price wont be as low as some assume. Mcnabb has a history of injuries so it wouldnt hurt Washington if they had experience in the back-up QB. Also if we do get Cambell how long do we give him before we decide he can't be our future QB and we are right back to square 1.

And Clausen is not a Franchise QB. He needs coaching. The intangibles are not there and he needs a mentor. So he is defiantly a work in progress. And we dont have that great O-coordinator or QB coach that can take this type of assignment.

One more problem what do we draft at 7? Il break down a scenario:
    1. Browns - Bradford
    2. Lions - Suh
    3. Bucs - McCoy
    4. Skins - Okung
    5. Chiefs - Bulaga
    6. Hawks' - Berry
    7. Rams - ?????

BPA here is Trent Williams but we took Jason Smith
    Position of need is QB with Clausen but lets say the Rams dont like him being the face of the franchise
    Joe Hadens there but are we going DB with a top 10 pick with all our needs.
    Dez Bryant and CJ Spiller are there but its a high pick on a team with many needs.

So other than Clausen where do we go at 7??

sashadpb is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post

1. Browns - Bradford
    2. Lions - Suh
    3. Bucs - McCoy
    4. Skins - Okung
    5. Chiefs - Bulaga
    6. Hawks' - Berry
    7. Rams - ?????
    7. Rams - Earl Thomas/Morgan/Pier-Paul

If we can't make deal with OJ, then definitely pick Thomas. Otherwise some DE.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sashadpb View Post

There we go "If we cant" strike a deal with OJ. I havnt even heard a team making an offer to him yet so we have no competition in getting him.

That brings us to a RE. Yea right end is a need but we took Chris long a couple years ago very high. And he is shifting to LE. We need a RE but not that high. Not a top 10. Most likely at #33.

But there isnt a very good option for us at #7.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sashadpb View Post

I doubt we strike a deal with OJ before the draft. Also, I'd rather pay him 110% of his salary and use that pick to fill another need rather than let OJ go and replace him. That is just spinning the tires.

rams_man13 Guest

There we go "If we cant" strike a deal with OJ. I havnt even heard a team making an offer to him yet so we have no competition in getting him.

That brings us to a RE. Yea right end is a need but we took Chris long a couple years ago very high. And he is shifting to LE. We need a RE but not that high. Not a top 10. Most likely at #33.

But there isnt a very good option for us at #7.
    The problem is, the best DE at 33 will likely be Carlos Dunlap and I'm not a fan of his.

If we move down to 7, I'd like us to take either Joe Haden or move down again and grab Derrick Morgan.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Here is my problem with the trade.

Spags and co. better start winning games. We need to see the progression on the scoreboard as well as on the field. No we dont need to make the playoffs (it would be nice thou) but we need some wins.

We dont have a QB and if we do take a Colt McCoy in the 2nd that means we belive in him to become a starter and we are not taking Jake Locker in 2011 because we took a Qb so high in 2010.

And if we dont take McCoy; who will play QB? If we dont have a QB we wont win games.

Jason Cambell is an option but realistically if we do trade for him the price wont be as low as some assume. Mcnabb has a history of injuries so it wouldnt hurt Washington if they had experience in the back-up QB. Also if we do get Cambell how long do we give him before we decide he can't be our future QB and we are right back to square 1.

And Clausen is not a Franchise QB. He needs coaching. The intangibles are not there and he needs a mentor. So he is defiantly a work in progress. And we dont have that great O-coordinator or QB coach that can take this type of assignment.

1. Browns - Bradford
    2. Lions - Suh
    3. Bucs - McCoy
    4. Skins - Okung
    5. Chiefs - Bulaga
    6. Hawks' - Berry
    7. Rams - ?????

BPA here is Trent Williams but we took Jason Smith
    Position of need is QB with Clausen but lets say the Rams dont like him being the face of the franchise
    Joe Hadens there but are we going DB with a top 10 pick with all our needs.
    Dez Bryant and CJ Spiller are there but its a high pick on a team with many needs.

So other than Clausen where do we go at 7??
    I hate discussing the draft, but you could not be more wrong about Clausen B-wade. At this point in time he is better fit to step in and play QB on this level than Bradford, he is a natural leader & has experience running a pro style offense, he's also skilled at reading defenses and anticipating the right corrections to make both before a play; the guy is cerebral. I like him more at this time than Bradford (who everyone loves due to the fact that he has that NFL "look" i.e. the size & arm everyone wants, but Clausen is a close 2nd), so if trade down, he will be a wonderful option at #7. Bradford has a larger learning curve than Clausen and w/ a team in shambles as we are, I'm not sure you want bring this guy in and have him potentially get the David Carr treatment.

Head Slap is offline Registered User

I say yes but the discussion changes significantly as Suh and Bradford are gone likely...

we need to throw as much mud on the wall and see what falls off in the next few years before this staff can claim they have a system.

If I were the new owner I would go for the mass talent approach because there is a good chance the current coaching staff wont be hgere is 3 years anyway./

Don't get me wrong I like Spag but he has yet to demonstrate he has a "system" because he can't with what he has.

Head Slap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    I hate discussing the draft, but you could not be more wrong about Clausen B-wade. At this point in time he is better fit to step in and play QB on this level than Bradford, he is a natural leader & has experience running a pro style offense, he's also skilled at reading defenses and anticipating the right corrections to make both before a play; the guy is cerebral. I like him more at this time than Bradford (who everyone loves due to the fact that he has that NFL "look" i.e. the size & arm everyone wants, but Clausen is a close 2nd), so if trade down, he will be a wonderful option at #7. Bradford has a larger learning curve than Clausen and w/ a team in shambles as we are, I'm not sure you want bring this guy in and have him potentially get the David Carr treatment.
    good point and ideologically I say trade but really, what do we do at 7????

and I agree that Clausen is getting a bad rap in these over rated combines. All I saw out of the guy was like 8 games here he brought a mediocre team from behind . 4 to win and 4 to loose but dude looked like a gamer to this socal fan. All we get on TV is ND or SC football so I watched them all. The game against SC I thought then he was Pro quality right away. and all these questions about his ability to lead? there isnt another QB in the draft who has rallied as many games and his team mates love him ...except maybe La Fevre i hear his school thinks a lot about his ability as well..
    Last edited by Head Slap; -04-18-2010 at 08:49 PM.

Systemlangstaff Guest

if we don't grab him it will be just another Rams mistake that we've seen for the past decade.

QRAM24 Guest

What do we do with the 7th pick......I say trade back again! Not like this trade is ever going to happen but if we trade back who do we pick. There will be more teams willing to move up to the 7th spot because they will not have to give up as much to get their guy. We could gain an additional 2nd or maybe even another first next year.

Quote Originally Posted by QRAM24 View Post
    What do we do with the 7th pick......I say trade back again! Not like this trade is ever going to happen but if we trade back who do we pick. There will be more teams willing to move up to the 7th spot because they will not have to give up as much to get their guy. We could gain an additional 2nd or maybe even another first next year.
    BPA...at that point it should be Clausen

BigGameTH is offline Registered User

I'd hope we'd go for playmakers:
    7 Dez Bryant
    33 + 4th & 5th rounder - trade up for Gresham
    38 Either Javhid Best or pass rushing DE
    3rd rounder - OLB

Then use our 2 first rounders to trade up and get the best QB available in 2011.

Draftniksince1985 is offline Registered User

At 7 my draft board would be 1. Trent Williams, 2. Jimmy Clausen, 3. Joe Haden, 4. CJ Spiller.

Quote Originally Posted by BigGameTH View Post
    I'd hope we'd go for playmakers:
    7 Dez Bryant
    33 + 4th & 5th rounder - trade up for Gresham
    38 Either Javhid Best or pass rushing DE
    3rd rounder - OLB

Then use our 2 first rounders to trade up and get the best QB available in 2011.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draftniksince1985 View Post
    At 7 my draft board would be 1. Trent Williams, 2. Jimmy Clausen, 3. Joe Haden, 4. CJ Spiller.
    I suppose everyone is forgetting that A.J. Feely is our starting QB currently, we need to get a QB this year after releasing Bulger. At the very least we should work to bring in Colt.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123