throwback week

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Draftniksince1985 is offline Registered User

Would you trade?

With Shurmur now coaching the browns, if AJ Green is available @6 would you trade,
    2011 first round pick (14th overall)
    2012 first round pick
    Donnie Avery

For

2011 first round pick (6th overall)
    2012 third round pick

I would love to see Bradford to Green for the next 6 years or more. With him being called the best since Calvin Johnson I am thinking it could be worth it.

So, would you do it? Why? Why not?

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Would you trade?

Id say yes..would definatly not be opposed to this trade.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Are you kidding? Two first rounders AND avery. No sir not for me. We could easily get someone that will work with the first round pick that we currently have.

BigGameHolt81 is offline Registered User

No way 2 first rounders and avery.. Maybe 1st round, Avery, and a later round pick.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

The precedent for a smaller deal is there. In 2009, the New York Jets were picking 17th and wanted to move up and draft Mark Sanchez. They traded with Cleveland, who picked 5th overall. The deal was...

Cleveland traded its first-round selection (5th overall)

Jets traded their first- and second-round selections (17th overall and 52nd overall), Kenyon Coleman, Brett Ratliff, and Abram Elam.
    The difference between the picks is slightly smaller this time around, so it probably wouldn't take a first, second, and three players. But then again, Eric Mangini was coach of that Browns team so who knows if you can expect a similar deal this year.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Im really not sure where I stand on this. At one point, I wanna say hell no because that is so much just for one player. At the other hand as good as I think A.J Green will become, it becomes a deal thats worthy. Either way, I think we would have to trade up to pick #4 to get him.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Im really not sure where I stand on this. At one point, I wanna say hell no because that is so much just for one player. At the other hand as good as I think A.J Green will become, it becomes a deal thats worthy. Either way, I think we would have to trade up to pick #4 to get him.
    Why? With Fitzgerald in the fold, Arizona would be making a mistake to take another WR. Unless they have fooled themselves into thinking they are one player away they have other areas on their roster where a #5 pick could help more. I just don't see the Cards taking him, unless you meant Cincy would take him, but I have a feeling they will be going with Gabbert there.

Also, I wouldn't do the trade as listed. Too much to give up, I hate giving up 1sts the next year. If we pull a raiders, then we'd be handing them a top 5 pick. The Maple Leafs in the NHL did that too, giving up what wound up being a 2nd overall pick to their rival because they performed much worse than expected. Not saying we will do that, but let's be honest, we are still building, I'd like to make sure our high picks stay around for a while.

Avery in return might be necessary, so Cleveland could draft Jones and have Avery, would really help solidify their WR corp for McCoy. But then, if that would help them a lot, it would help us a lot too

I'm not convinced there is a large enough gap between Green and Jones to sell a chunk of the farm for Green (That is, if we even pick Jones).

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    Why? With Fitzgerald in the fold, Arizona would be making a mistake to take another WR. Unless they have fooled themselves into thinking they are one player away they have other areas on their roster where a #5 pick could help more. I just don't see the Cards taking him, unless you meant Cincy would take him, but I have a feeling they will be going with Gabbert there.

Also, I wouldn't do the trade as listed. Too much to give up, I hate giving up 1sts the next year. If we pull a raiders, then we'd be handing them a top 5 pick. The Maple Leafs in the NHL did that too, giving up what wound up being a 2nd overall pick to their rival because they performed much worse than expected. Not saying we will do that, but let's be honest, we are still building, I'd like to make sure our high picks stay around for a while.

Avery in return might be necessary, so Cleveland could draft Jones and have Avery, would really help solidify their WR corp for McCoy. But then, if that would help them a lot, it would help us a lot too

I'm not convinced there is a large enough gap between Green and Jones to sell a chunk of the farm for Green (That is, if we even pick Jones).
    You're correct, I was referring to the Bengals taking him. I guess its always a possibility he slips past them now that Palmer wants a trade. A.J Green is just sooo good! He in my mind is the perfect WR. Great attitude and character, big (6'4), fast, willing blocker, unbelievable leaping ability. I just think he is gonna be a top WR in this league and will certainly make an impact as soon as we drafted him. I wouldn't mind settling for Jones not one bit, but Green in my mind is going to be something special. I agree with the trade though. Its so much. Plus its weird now that we stop drafting in the top 5 or whatever we wanna trade back up into it.

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

Will Green be THAT much better than Jones? I'm not so sure. Is he going to be so much better that we deem it necessary to give up a 1st round talent next year? I think we can do just fine with Jones and whatever corps we end up with.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

There's no way in the world I'd make that trade.

Look, I know everyone has Green ranked as the #1 WR, and that's fine. I have him ranked there too. But, there are no guarantees. The Rams could make that trade, and then watch as Julio Jones (taken 14h or later) ends up being a better player.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Donnie Avery was a 2nd round pick so we are basically trading an unprotected 1st round pick and a 2nd round pick to move up 8 spots. Also with the top heavy WR class i find it hard for us to make that type of deal just to score a great WR

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    Donnie Avery was a 2nd round pick so we are basically trading an unprotected 1st round pick and a 2nd round pick to move up 8 spots. Also with the top heavy WR class i find it hard for us to make that type of deal just to score a great WR
    Why do you equate Avery to a second round pick? He wasn't even ranked that high when we picked him and he decidedly hasn't done anything to improve his value. If that way of determining a players value were true I'd just trade him for Desean Jackson straight up. Also, I think the fact that it is an "unprotected" 1st round pick is to our advantage. I don't think any team in our division has a chance to greatly improve next year but us. That mean we win the division and pick in the 20s. I also think that most of you are vastly overestimating how many WRs have an immediate impact. Many don't pan out at all. The last thing we want is to waste anymore years of Bradford without a TRUE #1 WR.
    Last edited by Draftniksince1985; -01-30-2011 at 11:50 PM.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Draftniksince1985 View Post
    Why do you equate Avery to a second round pick? He wasn't even ranked that high when we picked him and he decidedly hasn't done anything to improve his value. If that way of determining a players value were true I'd just trade him for Desean Jackson straight up. Also, I think the fact that it is an "unprotected" 1st round pick is to our advantage. I don't think any team in our division has a chance to greatly improve next year but us. That mean we win the division and pick in the 20s. I also think that most of you are vastly overestimating how many WRs have an immediate impact. Many don't pan out at all. The last thing we want is to waste anymore years of Bradford without a TRUE #1 WR.
    So tieing up two first round picks and donnie avery for someone who also could not pan out and not be a number one wr. I am pretty sure that doesnt make any sense. Espeically when I see avery making a impact this year. I think he has a chip on his shoulder from people on the desaun jackson bandwagon.

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    So tieing up two first round picks and donnie avery for someone who also could not pan out and not be a number one wr. I am pretty sure that doesnt make any sense. Espeically when I see avery making a impact this year. I think he has a chip on his shoulder from people on the desaun jackson bandwagon.
    I think he has had a chip...or tear on every part of his body...and that's the problem. But on a serious note his attitude and drive hasn't been the problem. He put on almost 20 pounds this offseason and that is no small feat. But for a guy who will have to rely on speed not strength to beat his guy the injuries are a big concern for me.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I think we'd live to regret it in 2012 and beyond. I don't think you make that kind of trade unless you think that either (a) you can land a franchise quarterback who might be leading your team for the next 15 years or (b) you can land that one piece that will make the difference between being a contender and a champion. Any time you trade away future picks, you're trading them at a discounted value because everybody is under pressure to win now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast