tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Would you trade for a late first rounder?

Tank Tyler looks to be the guy we would need at NT. However, he is currently scheduled to be picked somewhere between our first rounder and our second rounder.

Do you see the Rams FO pulling off a trade somewhat similar to that pulled off by the Bills last year, and trading off our second and third rounders to move back into the first. Or at least trading up in the second round?

This is of course assuming we dont fill our DT needs in FA or with our first rounder, and that we have filled most of our other problem areas. LB, DE, OG etc

The main reason im suggesting this is that we have had a few extra draft picks over the last few years and grabbed some depth players, but now i think we just need a few highly talented players at certain positions.

snowbozo21 is offline Registered User

Re: Would you trade for a late first rounder?

I think trading down isn't a bad idea. Maybe we could pick up a 2nd or third rounder. If we dropped into the high teens or low twenties. We have 3 really important defensive needs to fill so there is a different variety of options for us to pursue.

Rambos is offline Registered User

So what you are saying is use our first round on a;
    Patrick Willis, LB, Mississippi
    Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska
    Jarvis Moss, DE, Florida

and then move up with the second round, maybe as high as another late first rounder and take Tank Tyler. I would do that, not sure what would have to give up.

Country is offline Registered User

I would be fine with a trade up back into the 1st round to get Tank Tyler.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    So what you are saying is use our first round on a;
    Patrick Willis, LB, Mississippi
    Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska
    Jarvis Moss, DE, Florida

and then move up with the second round, maybe as high as another late first rounder and take Tank Tyler. I would do that, not sure what would have to give up.
    Well the Bills gave up their second and third rounders to move back into the First last year to take John McCargo, and still kept their first rounder.

Grabbing Adam Carriker and then taking Tyler would give us a huge size boost for our front four. Which means we could sign a mid range SLB and have him work well playing alongside Spoon and Pisa.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Well the Bills gave up their second and third rounders to move back into the First last year to take John McCargo, and still kept their first rounder.

Grabbing Adam Carriker and then taking Tyler would give us a huge size boost for our front four. Which means we could sign a mid range SLB and have him work well playing alongside Spoon and Pisa.
    I like it, make it happen.

The only problem is if Tyler's stock keeps rising and he looks set to go earlier then we could trade up to. Then it couldnt work. If that were to happen we could always trade down though.

I just think Tank tyler is the guy we really need.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

The problem with this year's crop of space eaters in the draft is that all the top choices (Branch, Tyler, Soliai) have work ethic concerns. That's the same wrap Kennedy had. Are we ready to take that chance again?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I think just about every really big nose tackle gets accused of taking some plays off. I think they said the same thing about Haloti Ngata last year.

I like the idea of getting two first rounders this year. Normally I'd say fill in immediate needs via free agency and use the draft to keep the talent level up for the future, but it is looking unlikely that we will be able to sign the kind of players we need before the draft. Tyler sounds like the kind of force against the run that we need, and that would allow us to take a DE or SLB with our first pick. The only problem I see with that is whether we could trade up high enough in the first round to get Tyler.

Country is offline Registered User

If there are a couple of players in the late first I would think about moving back into the late first to get them.

NT Tank Tyler
    S Michael Griffen
    LB Pat Willis

The Rams have had enough picks in the last few years to not have to worry about having a ton of picks. They can afford to make a move.

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

yeah guys I agree on the trading down! Good DE and WR class I'm hearing so why not look to some dropped 1st rounders in the 2nd and 2nd's in the 3rds

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

If Tank Tyler had 44 reps on the bench press, I'm pretty sure he's seen the inside of a weight room before. That has to be some kind of indication he has motivation.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by smizzhfx View Post
    If Tank Tyler had 44 reps on the bench press, I'm pretty sure he's seen the inside of a weight room before. That has to be some kind of indication he has motivation.
    Maybe, but then again it could just be an indication he's strong. We're not paying him to bench-press....how motivated is he on the field.

Don't get me wrong, if we go DE/OLB in the 1st, and Tyler's sitting there in 2nd, I say we get him. But he has the "takes plays off" tag that tends to be even more apparent in the pros than college.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

itsguud is offline Registered User

Trading a few draft picks to better our current roster is exactly what we need to do. We had just better come out on top for it.

But I agree that we need skilled players now more then before. We have all the depth we can have, without picking up some REALLY skilled players, we'll be done.