throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wr

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Wr

It looks as if Curtis will test the open market even though the Rams have made an offer. My question is how much would the team be willing to spend to keep him? If he walks, with McDonald also a FA, that would make Looker our #3. Do the Rams look at signing a FA WR to back up Holt and Bruce, or do they address it in the draft?

Here's a list of FA WR's

Donte Stallworth, UFA, Philadelphia Eagles
    Drew Bennett, UFA, Tennessee Titans
    Patrick Crayton, RFA, Dallas Cowboys
    Marc Boerigter, UFA, Green Bay Packers
    David Boston, UFA, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Tyrone Calico, UFA, Tennessee Titans
    Andre' Davis, UFA, Buffalo Bills
    Bobby Engram, UFA, Seattle Seahawks
    Justin Gage, UFA, Chicago Bears
    D.J. Hackett, RFA, Seattle Seahawks
    Keenan McCardell, UFA, San Diego Chargers
    Shaun McDonald, UFA, St. Louis Rams
    Samie Parker, RFA, Kansas City Chiefs
    Jerome Pathon, UFA, Atlanta Falcons
    Willie Ponder, UFA, St. Louis Rams
    Edell Shepherd, RFA, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Travis Taylor, UFA, Minnesota Vikings
    Scottie Vines, RFA, Detroit Lions
    Peter Warrick, UFA, Seattle Seahawks
    Kelley Washington, UFA, Cincinnati Bengals
    Alvis Whitted, UFA, Oakland Raiders
    Ernest Wilford, RFA, Jacksonville Jaguars

If Curtis does not return, I wouldn't mind seeing the team make an offer to Bennett for the right price.

JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

BigGame Guest

Re: Wr

I'll be keeping an eye on the market for Calico, Davis, Gage, Engram, and Washington.

Those are all guys I wouldn't mind seeing in the slot if we can't keep Curtis.

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

i suspect Curtis, Bennett, Engram and Wilford will get a lot of attention, so we will have to look at someone like Gage, Calico or Davis

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

IMO Justin Gage would be a good fit for us,given his size(6,4) and our lack of size at WR.He is only 26 and he can make the catches across the middle even when he is hit..:l

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

Gage could do quite well with a decent QB throwing to him, i.e. Marc Bulger

Country Guest

The Rams just need a 3rd WR so a guy like Kelley Washington would be fine.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Gage could do quite well with a decent QB throwing to him, i.e. Marc Bulger
    That's what I was thinking, a big body WR with good hands, doesn't need a lot of speed.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

bruce4life is offline Registered User

i wouldnt mind keenen mccardell either... last season he didnt do much but he can still be a great possession receiver for our ballclub... bring in boston baby...lol... jk

jquarando is offline Registered User

We need to remind ourselves that we not only looking for a 3rd wide receiver, we are looking for someone to take the place of sir isaac and reverend holt if/when they get hurt this season. Lets face it these guys are old.

tecckd Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jquarando View Post
    We need to remind ourselves that we not only looking for a 3rd wide receiver, we are looking for someone to take the place of sir isaac and reverend holt if/when they get hurt this season. Lets face it these guys are old.
    well...having a decent replacement for injured wr's is one thing. what we really need is a talented, raw reciever that can learn from holt and bruce for a few years, who will eventually become our #2 when bruce leaves

itsguud is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tecckd View Post
    well...having a decent replacement for injured wr's is one thing. what we really need is a talented, raw reciever that can learn from holt and bruce for a few years, who will eventually become our #2 when bruce leaves
    ^ Exactly this is why I'd like to put forward, a vote for the future of the Rams. I say we move up in the draft and take Calvin Johnson. He is going to be a dominant WR in a couple of years. And what better way for him to learn then from the best in the business, Hotl and Bruce. And yes I know we are desparate on D right now, and we need a DT/DE/CB... the list goes on but I'm worried about the future here, not just the immediate needs. We have been blessed with having two of the finest WR's to ever play the game the last 8+ years and I would like to ensure that when they are gone, we have equals to match what they have given to the team. But like I said I know we need D. I'm just worried that we need a little more then we can get in one season, with little cap room (comparatively speaking)

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by itsguud View Post
    ^ Exactly this is why I'd like to put forward, a vote for the future of the Rams. I say we move up in the draft and take Calvin Johnson. He is going to be a dominant WR in a couple of years. And what better way for him to learn then from the best in the business, Hotl and Bruce. And yes I know we are desparate on D right now, and we need a DT/DE/CB... the list goes on but I'm worried about the future here, not just the immediate needs. We have been blessed with having two of the finest WR's to ever play the game the last 8+ years and I would like to ensure that when they are gone, we have equals to match what they have given to the team. But like I said I know we need D. I'm just worried that we need a little more then we can get in one season, with little cap room (comparatively speaking)
    Move up to get Calvin Johnson? Huh? Johnson will go no later than fourth overall to the Buccaneers. To move up from our first round pick to Tampa's, it's going to cost an exceptional amount. We'd either be trading our entire first five rounds to move up or would have to trade significantly high picks in this draft and in 2008 as well. And as you said, we are desperate on defense, so I don't see how this makes sense at all, especially with a WR class as deep in talent as this one.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Itsguud, think about what you are saying.

The Rams scored 367 points in 2006. That was the 5th best in the NFC. Bears (427) Dallas (425) NO (413) and the Eagles (398) scored more than the Rams.

The Rams had 381 points scored against them. Who had more points scored against them? Not many teams. The cards (389), lions (398) and niners (412) allowed more points.

You would rather the Rams pick up another WR when they have had no problem moving the ball or scoring against most teams. They are close to the top in scoring and close to the bottem in stopping teams from scoring.

We need defensive players that can get the job done. We need to sign Curtis or sign another solid #3 receiver and worry about the defense. We can always pick up a WR in a couple of years. We should not waste a draft pick on a WR this year.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

keith m. klink Guest

i've been watching the combines, and there are some very talented WR in this years draft. ya trading up for calvin would be kind of crazy, but i posted a treat the other day saying the same thing, let's go get him, but there are others , meachum, bowe, hill, and a few others that will also go in the first round, we could actually trade down , get an extra pick and get some really good receiver help at the 2nd or third round without loosing out on someone like adam carreker or charles johnson, but if the rams traded up and somehow got calvin, i would not be sad or mad about it.

Javaman Guest

I don't think it would be a wise move for the rams to spend a no. 1 pick on a wideout unless Bruce has really dropped off. They would be spending #1 money on a #3 receiver for probably 2 years and then he would likely be a #2 for the next 2 years and then he leaves for free agency about the time that Holt retires. Why not wait until the 3rd round to get a wr and spend the first 2 picks on defense where the Rams need help!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast