Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vinnie25

Thread: WR Boldin on the way out of Baltimore?

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

WR Boldin on the way out of Baltimore?

From Alex Marvez of Fox Sports...

A source told FOXSports.com that the Ravens want wide receiver Anquan Boldin to renegotiate the $6 million base salary he is set to earn in 2013. Otherwise, Boldin will be released before Tuesday’s start of the free-agent signing period.

Remember, Boldin stated this offseason that if the Ravens cut him and he didn't return, he'd retire rather than sign with another team. Will he stay true to that word?

Varg6 is offline Registered User

WR Boldin on the way out of Baltimore?

He's going to be a free agent. I was actually kinda hanging out with him today. And Kurt Warner. Yes, this is cryptic, but yes, I will post within the next day or two with pictures and whatnot!

Either way, I still think we go younger if anything. Although, I wouldn't be upset at all if we got a guy like him on our team.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Re: WR Boldin on the way out of Baltimore?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    From Alex Marvez of Fox Sports...

A source told FOXSports.com that the Ravens want wide receiver Anquan Boldin to renegotiate the $6 million base salary he is set to earn in 2013. Otherwise, Boldin will be released before Tuesday’s start of the free-agent signing period.

Remember, Boldin stated this offseason that if the Ravens cut him and he didn't return, he'd retire rather than sign with another team. Will he stay true to that word?
    Hopefully he will stay true to his word. Not a big fan of his.

Hinting he won't retire if cut, Boldin questions Ravens' loyalty
    Robert Klemko, USA TODAY Sports
    7:21p.m. EST March 9, 2013

TEMPE, Ariz -- Baltimore Ravens wide receiver Anquan Boldin is unwilling to take a pay cut to stay with the team he helped win Super Bowl XLVII, and he's changing his tune about retiring rather than hitting the free agent market.

"When I signed with the Ravens, I signed for four years," Boldin told USA TODAY Sports on Saturday at a charity event hosted by former NFL quarterback Kurt Warner. "With me, it's all about principles. At no point, no matter how well I played, would I come back to the table and say, 'I need more money.'

"The contract that I signed was the contract that I intended to play out."

Boldin, entering the last year of his contract, is set to earn $6 million if still on the roster next season. He declined to confirm a USA TODAY Sports report that he turned down the Ravens' bid to restructure his deal. But he's no longer saying he'll retire if the Ravens release him.

"I love the Ravens; I love the organization," he said. "But at the same time, I think everybody understands it's a business, and that's something that I definitely understand. I love everything about the Ravens. But if things don't work out there, I'll sit with my family, we'll talk it over, pray about it and see what God is asking me to do.

"I know how the Ravens feel about me, from a coaching standpoint, from an organizational standpoint, from guys in the locker room. But sometimes the business side doesn't express that."

Boldin, 32, caught 65 passes for 921 yards last season and had six catches for 104 yards and a touchdown in a 34-31 Super Bowl victory vs. the San Francisco *****.

Boldin is preparing to become an unrestricted free agent if released, according to a person with knowledge of the negotiations. The person spoke to USA TODAY Sports on the condition of anonymity because talks were ongoing.

Boldin's cap number for 2013 is $7.531 million, and the Ravens are trying to clear room to retain projected free agent linebacker Dannell Ellerbe, among other moves.

"Once (Anquan) has decided, you might as well try to move the Rock of Gibraltar," the person told USA TODAY Sports.

After the Ravens' Super Bowl victory against the San Francisco *****, Boldin told NBC Sports Radio that he would retire if released by the Ravens.

"I think he was trying to express loyalty to them," the person said. "I know that he's hoping to stay with them, but he's willing to go someplace else."

The person said that the Ravens' proposal to the 10-year pro did not include an extension.

It's possible a deal could be struck before Tuesday. Even with receivers Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones in tow, losing Boldin would be a huge blow for the Ravens, who locked up Super Bowl MVP quarterback Joe Flacco with a record six-year, $120.6 million contract on Monday.

Boldin was crucial during the Ravens' postseason run, scoring four touchdowns and averaging 17.3 yards on his 22 receptions. During Super Bowl XLVII, Boldin made two key third-down catches to set up a pair of fourth-quarter field goals.

During a news conference Monday, Flacco said the structure and settlement of his contract raised his hopes that Boldin would be retained.

"He's a big part of this offense," Flacco said. "He's a big reason why I'm standing here talking to you guys."

Tweet from former pro scout and now NFL.com analyst Daniel Jeremiah...

If Boldin hits the market, Sam Bradford should beg his bosses to bring him to STL.
    https://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks/st...76585622016001

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

With C.Patterson likely gone before the Rams make their first selection in the coming draft. Boldin would be an excellent replacement, if the Rams lose Amendola. The potential lack of experience at wideout, and RB is a little concerning to be honest. So a player of Boldins standing, could well make a huge difference if the Rams miss out on their intended targets. With a limited market this year at receiver, it could well be easier to get Bradford his TE instead.
    I just hope and pray they get their man. Whoever it maybe.??

Ravens asking Anquan Boldin to take $2 million paycut, sources say
    Wide receiver has $6 million salary, $7.531 million salary-cap figure
    By Aaron Wilson
    The Baltimore Sun
    11:45 a.m. EDT, March 10, 2013

The Ravens asked veteran wide receiver Anquan Boldin to accept a $2 million paycut of his $6 million base salary, according to league sources with knowledge of the situation.

In what remains a fluid situation, Boldin has declined.

Depending on whether this financial dispute is resolved, it could lead to his release.

One source stated early Saturday morning, "Unless something dramatic happens, it's an absolute done deal that Anquan will be released."

The Ravens were on the verge of releasing Boldin at one point Friday afternoon, and he had prepared a statement thanking the fans for their support for his time in Baltimore. The Ravens haven't given up on working something out with the Ravens.

Boldin, 32, carries a $7.531 million salary-cap figure.

Boldin caught 22 passes for 380 yards and four touchdowns during the playoffs as the Ravens defeated the San Francisco ***** in the Super Bowl, averaging 17.3 yards per reception.

Quarterback Joe Flacco, who was just made the highest-paid player in the game through a $120.6 million contract, said Monday that he wants the Ravens to be able to hold onto Boldin.

"I’ll tell you what: Anquan was a beast in those four games," Flacco said Monday in a reference to Boldin's postseason performance. "It was awesome to have him out there. You guys saw some of the catches that he made, none more important than the third down against San Francisco.

"He’s been a big part of this offense. He’s a big part of why I’m standing here talking to you guys. [The contract] definitely increases my confidence that we’ll have him back, and I hope we do.”

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I would be very interested in Boldin. He may be old and cost a pretty penny, but he is a terrific WR still. He fights for the ball and can play the slot VERY effectively. Slide him into slot, keep Givens on the outside, and draft another guy for the outside and our whole core looks better. Keep Quick in the rotation as well.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I would be very interested in Boldin. He may be old and cost a pretty penny, but he is a terrific WR still. He fights for the ball and can play the slot VERY effectively. Slide him into slot, keep Givens on the outside, and draft another guy for the outside and our whole core looks better. Keep Quick in the rotation as well.
    If after signing Boldin, you're going to go out and acquire another guy specifically to play predominantly on the outside, then I don't see much sense in Boldin to begin with.

He's not Danny Amendola. He's effective in the slot, particular in the red zone, but he's not a 70-80% slot guy in this league, IMO. He can be very effective on the outside as well, especially competing for contested balls on the sideline.

So I don't agree with the idea of signing him and saying, "Okay, Boldin's our slot guy, now let's find an outside guy to pair with Givens." If the Rams were to pursue and sign Boldin, my strategy with him would be to move him all around the field, inside and outside, depending on the situation. Take advantage of his versatility rather than sticking him in one role.

I think the biggest question when it comes to Boldin is how much is he going to cost. He was scheduled for a $6 million salary in 2013 from Baltimore; I wouldn't be surprised if he held out for a deal that would pay him all of that $6 million in the first year in some combination of salary and bonus money. But at his age, I don't think it's wise to sign him for more than 2-3 seasons.

Is that something the Rams can afford or want to sign up for? My gut says no, but we'll have to see.

richtree is offline Registered User

I am not a huge fan of bringing an older guy in that wants cash and his best days are behind him.

The only thing is that Boldin could help Quick move into a bigger role, and I doubt boldin would want a 1 year deal...

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    If after signing Boldin, you're going to go out and acquire another guy specifically to play predominantly on the outside, then I don't see much sense in Boldin to begin with.

He's not Danny Amendola. He's effective in the slot, particular in the red zone, but he's not a 70-80% slot guy in this league, IMO. He can be very effective on the outside as well, especially competing for contested balls on the sideline.

So I don't agree with the idea of signing him and saying, "Okay, Boldin's our slot guy, now let's find an outside guy to pair with Givens." If the Rams were to pursue and sign Boldin, my strategy with him would be to move him all around the field, inside and outside, depending on the situation. Take advantage of his versatility rather than sticking him in one role.

I think the biggest question when it comes to Boldin is how much is he going to cost. He was scheduled for a $6 million salary in 2013 from Baltimore; I wouldn't be surprised if he held out for a deal that would pay him all of that $6 million in the first year in some combination of salary and bonus money. But at his age, I don't think it's wise to sign him for more than 2-3 seasons.

Is that something the Rams can afford or want to sign up for? My gut says no, but we'll have to see.
    I didn't really mean leave him in the slot permanently. I would like to see it when we go to a 3 WR set (either Givens or him in the slot) and the other two outside obviously. I think he creates a lot of mismatches and plays a lot like a TE.

THE DREAM TEAM

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    I am not a huge fan of bringing an older guy in that wants cash and his best days are behind him.

The only thing is that Boldin could help Quick move into a bigger role, and I doubt boldin would want a 1 year deal...
    Realistically he is the best option we have right now if he were to be released which I pray he is. He is still a game changer and brings experience and leadership into our WR core. I'd ink him on a 2yr. 5.5-6 mill a year deal. 1. Quick/Boldin 2. Boldin/Quick/Givens 3. Austin/Boldin 4. Pettis. That's a hell of a combo right there and I do see Quick stepping up big this second year.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

I've always liked Boldin, and the Rams would be smart to get a player like him. Besides speed, he has everything that you would want in a receiver, plus he's big and strong enough to fight off the bullies in Seattle (Browner and Sherman). Sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal, draft Tavon Austin to play the slot, and let him mentor Givens, Quick, Austin, and Pettis to be the consummate pro that he's always been. Rams got young receivers, what they need is somebody to come in and take them under his wing while also remaining productive on the field, and the only options I see accomplishing that are Boldin and maybe Greg Jennings.
    ZiaRam likes this.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    I've always liked Boldin, and the Rams would be smart to get a player like him. Besides speed, he has everything that you would want in a receiver, plus he's big and strong enough to fight off the bullies in Seattle (Browner and Sherman). Sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal, draft Tavon Austin to play the slot, and let him mentor Givens, Quick, Austin, and Pettis to be the consummate pro that he's always been. Rams got young receivers, what they need is somebody to come in and take them under his wing while also remaining productive on the field, and the only options I see accomplishing that are Boldin and maybe Greg Jennings.
    This is a beautiful post sir.