throwback week

richtree is offline Registered User

WR Scouting for 2011 Draft

This is my preliminary look at the 2011 WR class coming out for this NFL Draft. So far I looked at the 25 highest rated WR's and ordered them based on what I think is there NFL potential. I have 77 more WR's to look at but these seemed to be the Top 25 on most boards (give or take a few).....

I am showing my early notes, so here's a quick explanation of my mindset.
    I put them in an excel sheet and rank is most important. I put at least 1 positive attribute and 1 negative attribute to help me remember their abilities.

Then I put an NFL player that they remind me of in their style of play, (NOT WHAT I PROJECT THEIR TALENT TO BE).

so here's the EARLY LIST:

Last edited by richtree; -12-25-2010 at 01:39 AM.

Re: WR Scouting for 2011 Draft

I will edit this ASAP since copy and paste didn't work...

sorry

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

One thing I've found helpful if you've made a table of information is to use the CODE feature, which is one of the last clickable buttons when making a post/response. If you type everything up in Notepad and space things out into columns, then copy and paste right into the window with the CODE feature around it, it should retain its formatting.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    One thing I've found helpful if you've made a table of information is to use the CODE feature, which is one of the last clickable buttons when making a post/response. If you type everything up in Notepad and space things out into columns, then copy and paste right into the window with the CODE feature around it, it should retain its formatting.

thanks....thats best I could do right now....

PS -- titus young could be on the drop to 11 after failure to show any strength against Utah's sub par athletic talent

Mods, let me know if that is ok ? thanks

rt

RockinRam is online now Registered User

Interesting, thanks for the chart.

Why do you think Posey will fall that far? IMO, he's at worst a fourth rounder.

And I agree about Floyd that high. If he wasn't so injury prone, he'd be right behind Green. His hands are very solid.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Boy I wish the Rams had a chance to get A.J Green. He is literally nothing short of a monster. I will guarantee you he will be the best WR since Calvin Johnson Jr.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Thanks richtree! Your rankings are a little non-standard, but I like that. It means that you're actually evaluating these players rather than just re-hashing what everybody else is saying. Since I don't watch much college football I can't provide much feedback on your rankings.

Could you give us a little thoughts on Blackmon and Julio Jones? They seem to be ranked #2 and #3 on most boards at this point, and you have them a bit lower, especially Jones. I'm interested what your take on them is. What do you mean by Jones "playing small?" It seems like the biggest knock on him has been his hands. Do you agree with that? Blackmon is starting to appeal to me, but like I said I'm basing that basically on just what I'm reading in scouting reports and some highlights I'm seeing. Could you tell me why you have him at #5?

Thanks for the work you've put into this!
    Last edited by Nick_Weasel; -12-25-2010 at 06:55 PM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

A lot of work went into that list, and I appreciate that, but...

1. Little has a lot of potential, but I think you have him rated to highly.
    2. Julio Jones won't last past the first round.
    3. Leonard Hankerson is not slow. He is a long strider, so he probably won't have a top 40 time, but he does not get caught from behind. He'll go in the second round, third at th latest.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I appreciate the time/effort that likely went into this. It's a very cool resource. I think it would be even better to hear some of the more detailed reasoning behind how you arrived at your information and opinion (ie. Little @ 2, Blackmon @ 5, Jones @ 8, etc).

npow81 Guest

Being a BSU expert so to speak I think you've nailed it on the head with Titus Young and Austin Pettis.

Several opposing players have come out this year and said that Titus was the fastest player they had ever played against, I would not be shocked one bit if he posts in the 4.2s at the combine.

Austin is as reliable as they come and an amazing red zone target.

After watching today and the lack of explosiveness we have on offense, if Titus is available in the second we would be fools to pass him up.

Although biased, if I were a betting man I'd say both have long prosperous NFL careers in front of them

Major30 is offline Registered User

I like Justin Blackmon. Check out the You Tube of him against Prince Amukamara (considered one of the top corner prospects coming out this year). Blackmon pretty much leads the NCAA in all receiving categories. Stat-wise he is better than Dez Bryant was two years ago. Seems Devaney likes prolific college receivers (check: DX, Amendola, Avery and Clayton). However, he did have a DUI complaint and was suspended this year for a game. This could play in our favor as he may slide down the board to us. I know AJ Green sure won't be there.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    A lot of work went into that list, and I appreciate that, but...

1. Little has a lot of potential, but I think you have him rated to highly.
    2. Julio Jones won't last past the first round.
    3. Leonard Hankerson is not slow. He is a long strider, so he probably won't have a top 40 time, but he does not get caught from behind. He'll go in the second round, third at th latest.

I love the debate!!! I am very, very sure that Little draft above Jones.

Even more sure Jones is NOT A FIRST ROUNDER.

Lastly Hankerson is one of the harder guys to evaluate. He may fly up the board with a good combine. He does have long stide but I don't know if the speed of the NFL game, (sharp cutting, DB's, etc) will be too much for him. He can't really offer much on special teams.....

Lastly, If I had to think it over, I may drop Titus young to 11 and everyone behind him up one spot.....

BUT THIS IS VERY EARLY.....I will re-list once bowl games are all done

Julio Jones doesn't have the greatest hands but has a freak athletic build. He is super-strong and fast for his size but isn't a pure WR. He runs the long route pretty good and would be good for short yardage screens and reverses. What I mean when I say he plays small, is that he reminds me of a guy like Donte Stallworth. He flys down the field to get open, then makes and easy catch tough by not having great pre-catch technique.

He could easily move up this board and maybe into the #2 spot by draft day but I do not see this happening because Little, Floyd, and Broyles all have great hands and can have an impact on an NFL team in Week 1 of the 2011 season.

Julio Jones is more of a guy that need polish and coaching at the next level. He could be Limas Sweed or he could be D.Bowe....I need to see more....

RebelYell is offline Registered User

LOT of juniors on that list.

Broyles, Blackmon and Floyd all seem like first round talent if they waited until next year.

And if Julio Jones is around when the Rams draft in the 2nd, I'll be shocked. He dominated games as a freshman and that hasn't stopped.