Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Yahoo Sports' Jason Cole, the Rams are "likely" to draft either Hopkins / Austin

richtree is offline Registered User

Yahoo Sports' Jason Cole, the Rams are "likely" to draft either Hopkins / Austin

For what its worth:

According to Yahoo Sports' Jason Cole, the Rams are "likely" to draft either Tavon Austin or DeAndre Hopkins with the No. 16 overall pick.

Presumably, St. Louis prefers Austin. But a number of teams drafting ahead of the Rams could use the all-purpose playmaker, too. The Rams have shown a considerable amount of pre-draft interest in Hopkins, who is more of a reliable possession receiver but with better ball skills and physicality than Austin. This is the first time we've seen Hopkins openly linked to the "teens" area of round one.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Yahoo Sports' Jason Cole, the Rams are "likely" to draft either Hopkins / Austin

Here is the entire Cole article...

Falcons, Niners could be in NFL draft trade mix
    1 hour 10 minutes ago

There is little chance that this year's NFL draft will match its trade-heavy results of 2012, when six of the top seven picks were dealt, including one of them twice.

This is despite the fact that the top four teams and a bunch of others are trying like crazy to move around.

The Kansas City Chiefs at No. 1, followed by the Jacksonville Jaguars, Oakland Raiders and Philadelphia Eagles have all expressed an interest in moving out of the top four spots. As of Saturday, none of them were finding much interest. However, only one of the deals involving six of the top seven picks last year (the Washington Redskins moving up to the No. 2 spot) occurred before the first round officially started.

"Last year was special because it was the first time under the new system for rookie contracts that teams could trade," said Atlanta Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff, who is one of a handful of GMs interested in moving up in the first round. "I think that opened things up a lot. I also think there were some situations that just lined up right that don't necessarily line up this year the same way."

That doesn't mean that there won't be significant action involving first-round picks this week. Starting with Sunday's trade of cornerback Darrelle Revis from the New York Jets to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, there are projected to be five to eight trades that impact the first round one way or another.

Here's a look at the moves expected to be done:

1. Branden Albert to Miami This is only going to happen if the price on Albert particularly the $8 million-$9 million a year it's believed he's seeking in a long-term deal comes down significantly. Albert is a franchise player, which comes with a one-year, $9.8 million base. Kansas City would love to get a second-round pick for him, clearing the way for the Chiefs to take Luke Joeckel at No. 1 overall and then get another player rather than take Joeckel and then lose Albert to free agency after the season. The problem for the Chiefs is that this move is actually counterintuitive for the Dolphins, who already let Jake Long leave for less than what Albert is looking to make. While Long has a longer laundry list of injuries (knee, elbow, biceps, back), Albert has also dealt with a back problem. To overpay for Albert and give up a second-round pick to get him would be pretty questionable for the Dolphins. Then again, the idea of having Jonathan Martin at left tackle could force the Dolphins to panic.

2. San Francisco will be busy The ***** are at No. 31 overall, have 13 draft picks, including two selections each in Rounds 2-5. It's believed by at least one GM that the Niners are interested in moving up to the 13th or 14th overall pick. There is no way that the ***** can keep more than five or six new draft picks with the way the team is structured right now. Expect GM Trent Baalke to either trade up or trade out for picks in the future. The talk around the league is that the ***** would like to get a defensive lineman who can eventually step in for veteran Justin Smith. The team also needs a safety, No. 2 tight end and could use an impact corner. All of that is possible.

3. Atlanta on the move Dimitroff danced around the idea of trading up from No. 30. If you look at the Falcons' roster and the way the team played on defense in the playoffs, it's clear the team needs an impact defender at cornerback after cutting Dunta Robinson and losing Brent Grimes in free agency. The Falcons' pass rush has been mediocre outside of John Abraham over the past three years. Abraham is gone now and has been replaced by Osi Umenyiora, but the Falcons could use another pass rusher, particularly a younger one. Ultimately, the prospects that could be targeted by the Falcons are cornerbacks Desmond Trufant or Xavier Rhodes, and defensive ends Bjoern Werner, Barkevious Mingo and Tank Carradine.

4. Wide receiver chase Wide receivers are going to be popular starting at roughly No. 16, where St. Louis is likely to take Tavon Austin or DeAndre Hopkins. Keenan Allen and Cordarrelle Patterson are also looking like possible first-rounders with St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Houston, New England, Minnesota and Baltimore being teams that would be interested.

5. Moving around for a quarterback Several teams are trying to read the market for quarterbacks, starting with where top prospect Geno Smith will end up. Smith could easily fall out of the top 10. Where his slide ends up from there will likely impact where quarterbacks such as Matt Barkley, E.J. Manuel, Ryan Nassib and Mike Glennon land. Several teams at the top of the second round, such as Arizona, Buffalo and Oakland, could move up to the end of the first round to grab a prospect.

diehard99 is offline Registered User

Re: Yahoo Sports' Jason Cole, the Rams are "likely" to draft either Hopkins / Austin

NFL.COM has Hopkins graded at 87. which in their opinion is the second highest grade for a receiver after Patterson at 90. First round @ #16 probably isnt too high for Hopkins.

richtree is offline Registered User

The one thing I think for sure is if we go Hopkins in Round 1 with his strength it probably will be a sign that we double up with a WR in first 4/5 rounds because of the need for a returner and speed guy as well......maybe even multiple weapons in round 1

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I'd take anything I heard four days before the draft with a grain of salt. We're definitely in the smoke and mirrors part of the process.
    RealRam and MauiRam like this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I've not seen many rankings or mocks that have Hopkins as a Top 20 pick/prospect in this class. Some don't even consider him Top 40. That's not to say they're right, but that's just what I've seen when trying to take in all the information I can get my hands on.

I like Hopkins as a receiver, and he's sometimes compared to Roddy White, which would be a great type of player to have. But White was selected 27th in his own class, and that seems to be right around where some think Hopkins could go if he does in fact sneak into the first round.

I'd feel a lot better about him being the 22nd pick rather than the 16th pick, but ultimately, if he becomes a legit top receiver in this league, it won't matter where the Rams took him.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I think the Rams are in a tough spot. If they like Austin and he is gone by 16, then I think they will have too over draft a bit to get their guy. If Hopkins is the guy they want and to make sure they get their guy I'm fine with it.

I think we have to land a WR in round one to make sure we get the best fit. Waiting for round two will leave us the left overs and I'm not talking about a second plate at thanksgiving.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Too bad Hopkins and Sammy Watkins can't switch classes. Maybe then this rhetoric would make sense.

As it stands however, I see no way we touch Hopkins before the 2nd round.

Jim Thomas ‏@jthom1 19 Apr

Rams private workout Friday with Clemson WR DeAndre Hopkins went "very, very well" according to league source.

just sayin

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I've been banging the table all off-season for Hopkins, aint nothing changed since. Go Get NUK!

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I've been banging the table all off-season for Hopkins, aint nothing changed since. Go Get NUK!
    Yes you have, lets see if he's the one!
    sosa39rams likes this.

RosieJones is offline Registered User

I have no problem at all if the Rams take Hopkins at 16, even if Austin is still on the board (not too many of you would probably agree with that I'm guessing).

I think that long-term Hopkins will make a bigger impact in the league than Austin.
    richtree likes this.

MoStateRam is offline Registered User

Yahoo Sports' Jason Cole, the Rams are "likely" to draft either Hopkins / Austin

Draft Justin Hunter.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Hmm, yes, I'd say TA will be gone by the time we pick @ 16.

So go Keenan Allen for our 1st selection!

Correction: We go Keenan Allen OR DeAndre Hopkins for our 1st selection! Got it.

Hopkins

Last edited by RealRam; -04-21-2013 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Correction

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Its certainly possible. The Rams are obviously interested. But I can guarantee you that Cole is merely guessing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast