Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Yahoo Sports' Jason Cole, the Rams are "likely" to draft either Hopkins / Austin

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Re: Yahoo Sports' Jason Cole, the Rams are "likely" to draft either Hopkins / Austin

Quote Originally Posted by MoStateRam View Post
    Draft Justin Hunter.

I'd be all for that, but I think Fisher may think, he and Brian Quick may be too similar, though Quick certainly hasn't shown anybody besides those who attended that imfamous workout. That's the only explaination I can think of for the apparent lack of interest in him.

Looks like no worse than the 3rd best receiver to me.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -04-22-2013 at 12:49 AM.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Re: Yahoo Sports' Jason Cole, the Rams are "likely" to draft either Hopkins / Austin

CORDARELLE PATTERSON...

I remain of the opinion, and will continue to remain of the opinion that Cordarelle Patterson is our #1 WR target. Its becoming reminiscent of Quick. There was all this talk and talk about WRs and who we were working out, all the while a D1AA star named Brian Quick was flying under the radar with great interest from the Rams with the rest of the league unaware.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

"Clemson wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins working out today for Rams' coaches for second time in four days, per source."

"Workout for DeAndre Hopkins to be attended by Rams coach Jeff Fisher, per source."

-Aaron Wilson, Ravens Insider

I really hope we take Hopkins. With some help by the coaching staff he can be a top receiver in this league. Pair him with some of the guys we have and we actually have a formidable group.

THE DREAM TEAM

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Its certainly possible. The Rams are obviously interested. But I can guarantee you that Cole is merely guessing.
    You're right. There's no reason to believe we aren't thinking of him with our 22nd pick. Only he has said pick 16, and I think it was just to lump him in with Austin.

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    You're right. There's no reason to believe we aren't thinking of him with our 22nd pick. Only he has said pick 16, and I think it was just to lump him in with Austin.
    Like I said in my analysis of Hopkins...he looks at times like a sure fire NFL round 1 starter....

Then at times you doubt it because of his speed and routes not being super sharp.

He is different than alot of guys in the league now because he plays with strength.

The one thing Fisher likes is big, physical bodies that do it all at the WR position. That is why I don't really think Austin is an option for WR. If we happen to take Austin, I think we will back it right up with Hopkins or Patterson.

With Cook, Givens, and Quick...Fisher probably loves that Hopkins is a "Hands" guy and I think Round 1 is gonna be fun for Rams fans.....

AND REMEMBER, TRUST THE STACHE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Something that I'm keeping in mind: we heard how the Rams were willing to take Michael Brockers at sixth overall last year but orchestrated a trade down to add value and still found him there.

My gut thought is that the Rams may be considering Hopkins at 16 but may not end up taking him until 22 due to other factors (better value on the board, trades, etc).

From 17-21, there aren't many obvious destinations for a receiver, so they may be willing to wait until 22. Obviously someone could trade up for him, but that could happen with anyone.

It'll be interesting to see who is still on the board when the Rams make their selections. You could very well make a case that with Allen's injury and Patterson's mental makeup, Austin and Hopkins are now the top two receivers in this class.

If you're willing to take a guy at 22, is it much of a stretch to take him at 16? Again, I think it depends on what's on the board and whether you perceive you can get him later. The Rams may not believe they can, and value him within that mid first round range.
    Last edited by Nick; -04-22-2013 at 10:43 AM.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    "Clemson wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins working out today for Rams' coaches for second time in four days, per source."

"Workout for DeAndre Hopkins to be attended by Rams coach Jeff Fisher, per source."

-Aaron Wilson, Ravens Insider

I really hope we take Hopkins. With some help by the coaching staff he can be a top receiver in this league. Pair him with some of the guys we have and we actually have a formidable group.
    Source: DeAndre Hopkins working out today for Rams' Jeff Fisher, other offensive coaches
    by Aaron Wilson of Scout.com, April 22, 2013 at 8:35 am ET

DeAndre Hopkins Profile

Clemson star wide receiver DeAndre "Nuk" Hopkins has a private workout today for St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher, according to a league source.

This workout will include other Rams' staffers, including offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, wide receivers coach Ray Sherman and quarterbacks coach Frank Cignetti, and marks the second workout for the NFC West club in the past four days after working out for them on Friday.

Hopkins previously visited the Carolina Panthers and worked out privately for Panthers receivers coach Ricky Proehl.

Hopkins was one of the draft prospects whose hotel room was trashed, including being smeared with feces, at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis, but denied any wrongdoing to FOX Sports.

Hopkins said there was nothing wrong with the room upon his checkout. And his roommate, Rutgers wide receiver Mark Harrison, has also denied any involvement in the incident.

“Luckily, thank god, my agent got my flight booked early or it really would’ve been questionable if I did [it] or not,” Hopkins said. “My agent got my flight booked early, he told me hurry up. I got done before Mark Harrison, so I was already packed. I already took a shower and packed and everything. Mark came in and we spoke for at least 20 minutes about the combine.

"Then the bellman came in and helped me get my bags out. And I left. That’s honestly all I can say. I say check the cameras, that’s the best way that you’re going to get the answer," Hopkins said. "Check the cameras and check the timing of everything.”

Hopkins improved his 40-yard dash to 4.4 seconds at his campus Pro Day workout after running a 4.57 at the NFL scouting combine.

As a freshman, Hopkins caught 52 passes for 537 yards and four touchdowns.

As a sophomore, Hopkins caught 72 passes for 978 yards and five touchdowns.

He caught 82 passes for 1,405 yards and 18 touchdowns as a junior and declared early for the NFL draft.

He's a projected first-round draft pick.

He finished his career owning the Tigers' career records with 3,020 receiving yards, 27 touchdowns and a dozen 100-yard receiving games.

Hopkins has drawn comparisons to Indianapolis Colts wide receiver Reggie Wayne.

For more coverage of the NFL, go to profootball.scout.com.

Follow me on Twitter: @RavensInsider

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Clemson star wide receiver DeAndre "Nuk" Hopkins has a private workout today for St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher, according to a league source.

This workout will include other Rams' staffers, including offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, wide receivers coach Ray Sherman and quarterbacks coach Frank Cignetti, and marks the second workout for the NFC West club in the past four days after working out for them on Friday.
    Sounds like the kind of attention they gave Quick last year, although my recollection is they kept that pretty secret.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

"Then the bellman came in and helped me get my bags out. And I left. That’s honestly all I can say. I say check the cameras, that’s the best way that you’re going to get the answer," Hopkins said. "Check the cameras and check the timing of everything.”
    Well, this is easy enough. Interview the bellman. See if his story matches up.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    If you're willing to take a guy at 22, is it much of a stretch to take him at 16?
    At the end of the day, that is the operative question.

If the Rams really want him, and have a significant concern that he'll be gone by #22, then taking him at #16 makes sense.

The benefit of a guy like Hopkins is that he probably will be able to contribute early in his career. He is already a good route-runner, has good hands and has an "NFL body." While I have him ranked as a target at #22, I would have no problem if the Rams thought he was worth the #16 pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Sounds like the kind of attention they gave Quick last year, although my recollection is they kept that pretty secret.
    Yeah but this time the Rams FO is saying, hey do you think he could do that two days in a row, lets go find out? What's the saying fool me once shame one me fool twice......

They have to get it right that's all I know.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

If the Rams take Hopkins I will be a very happy Rams fan.

Dont mess around and just take him while hes still there at 16 then pick up Reid at 22.
    ZiaRam, Beastified and RosieJones like this.

Updating a previous item, the Rams are working out DeAndre Hopkins at Clemson University on Monday.
    A previous report stated the Rams would work out Hopkins at their own club facility, but it's a private, pre-draft workout and coach Jeff Fisher is not attending. OC Brian Schottenheimer and QBs coach Frank Cignetti are orchestrating the workout. Hopkins is a prime candidate to be St. Louis' pick at No. 16 overall.
    Related: Rams
    Source: Jim Thomas on Twitter

Beastified is offline Registered User

And this is that moment when you have that smug look on your face and everybody realizes that you were right a few months ago. I've been saying that Hopkins had a great chance of being a Ram since last year.. I wasn't guessing. I analyzed everything there was to analyze, I looked at every WR prospect there practically was, and Hopkins made the most sense.

I also wasn't guessing when I said they were going to take an OLB in RD 1 as well... Either Jones or Brown, I didn't predict Ogletree at all though. I think the Ogletree is a smoke screen, I think the Hopkins one is for real. You don't bring in a guy twice in 4 days unless you are for real. I bet you guys that the Rams won't draft Ogletree but they will draft a different OLB instead.

I can also tell you that the Rams top option in the 2nd round is Eddie Lacy (I highly doubt he will be there), but then Larry Warford, the G from Kentucky. If both are gone they might go for that Jonathan Franklin, or get a S. Also, I know a lot of you are high on Le'Veon Bell but I would be willing to put a flat $100 on the table that he will not be drafted by the Rams. It's simply common sense. He fits the mold of Terrance Ganaway way too much, and also they haven't even had a pre-draft visit with Bell. Bell is out of the question IMO and he is probably far down on their RB list.

These are just my observations and many hours of analyzation, I believe you can figure out many draft strategies through common sense and vibes.

In a little over 2 days, Hopkins is almost a virtual lock to be in Blue and Gold. You guys are really going to love Hopkins, I just know it, and I am very happy!

Oh yeah, the Rams also won't draft Tavon Austin at 16 and I'll tell you why right now. I remember in free-agency that Jeff Fisher said Jared Cook will play an important role in the offense. Something was mentioned about Cook spending a lot of time in the slot. If the Rams drafted Tavon Austin, there's no way he would last lining up on the outside. Austin is a slot guy, and it would be redundant to draft him after them saying that Cook would play in the slot quite a bit. Patterson is also out of the question because he's a clone of Brian Quick.

Top WR is Hopkins followed by Allen and Patton.
    Last edited by Beastified; -04-22-2013 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beastified View Post
    And this is that moment when you have that smug look on your face and everybody realizes that you were right a few months ago. I've been saying that Hopkins had a great chance of being a Ram since last year.. I wasn't guessing. I analyzed everything there was to analyze, I looked at every WR prospect there practically was, and Hopkins made the most sense.
    I wish you a speedy recovery from your "excessively patting yourself on the back" shoulder injury.

Anyways, this wide receiver class has been as fluid as I can recall a position in the draft. It seems as if Austin has risen to the top of this crop, but even he has some big question marks about him. After that, it becomes a matter of personal preference. Do you prefer the raw athlete in Patterson, the reliable catcher in Hopkins, the physical route runner in Allen, the slender underachiever in Hunter, the savvy producer in Woods?

If you surveyed ten people who follow the draft, I bet you'd get ten different rankings of these guys. I'm sure the Rams have put a lot of thought into what they need at the position, and ranking these guys accordingly. That ranking may or may not look like the non-team specific rankings around the Internet, so it wouldn't surprise me if they valued Hopkins a lot given the skills he brings to the table.

After Austin, whom I agree with you may not be an ideal fit for the Rams given the Cook signing, I'm not sure I view any of these receivers as being exceptional value at 16. I certainly haven't seen many analysts (or any, really) putting Hopkins specifically in that Top 20 discussion prior to this revelation, so while I like him, there's a part of me wondering about the value and whether he'd be a better choice at 22.

But it's clear this team needs more help on offense, many of us have been saying it for years, and if Hopkins can turn into the player many believe he can, a Roddy White type of pass catcher that this offense certainly could use, no one is going to care about any pre-draft value concerns.

Really, whether it's Austin, Patterson, Allen, Hopkins... there's a lot to like about each of them and they'd all add a much needed weapon to this offense. I'd be pleased to see any of them in horns in 2013.
    ZiaRam likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast