Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    the chosen1 is offline Registered User

This years smoke screen is....

Jeff Risdon/RealGM - The Rams, according to a source close to RealGM's Jeff Risdon, have more interest in Vernon Gholston and Ryan Clady than they do in Glenn Dorsey, Darren McFadden, or Chris Long, and that Jake Long is a notch above all those on their draft board.

Risdon has the Rams selecting Long in his most recent mock draft.
    Umm alot of people were wondering who was going to be this years smoke screen for this years draft. Last year it was Ted Ginn and the year before that it was Cutler. This years it may be Vernon Gholston.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: This years smoke screen is....

Well as far as a smoke screen, that does not make sense. To say Gholston is the guy the Rams like over McFadden. I would guess a team picking behind might want to move up and take McFadden. They say Jake Long is on top of their board, can't see trying to use Jake as trade bait.

Drummerman1011 is offline Registered User

This was probably before the Jacob Bell signing. The only reason to draft Jake Long is to start him. Why would you draft someone at #2 if they weren't going to start right away? I say if Chris Long is there take him. But I really love Gholston too. Either of those picks would make me very happy =). Also you can get Ryan Clady in the second round or some OL that will be able to start one day. Shures up both lines for next year. Can't see the problem in that.

Drummerman1011 is offline Registered User

another reason why we should take Gholston over Jake Long

YouTube - Vernon Gholston

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

Said it once, I'll say it again, Sedrick Ellis.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

When it's all said and done, granted Chris Long must be off the board first, we will either select Vernon Gholston or Glenn Dorsey IMO. We will try and draw the Chief's interest in order to trade down to #5 and snatch Vernon there but if we are forced to stay put I believe it will be either him or Dorsey at #2 to us. Just my opinion, of course.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Well as far as a smoke screen, that does not make sense. To say Gholston is the guy the Rams like over McFadden. I would guess a team picking behind might want to move up and take McFadden. They say Jake Long is on top of their board, can't see trying to use Jake as trade bait.

I agree that makes no sense to say he is one of your favorites, but he is a smoke screen

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I say the smoke screen is Jake Long this year. We just solidified the OL alot more.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    I say the smoke screen is Jake Long this year. We just solidified the OL alot more.
    Its possible we could be saying we like Jake Long solely to drag the Chiefs into trading with us, which puts us in a position to draft one of Gholston, Dorsey or Ellis but also pick up a few picks in the process

however, its really not out of the question that we do take Jake Long and play him at RG for this year and move him to tackle the next.

Giving us an OL of:
    LT Pace
    LG Bell
    C Incognito
    RG Long
    RT Barron

Rambos is offline Registered User

Giving us an OL of:
    LT Pace
    LG Bell
    C Incognito
    RG Long
    RT Barron
    I have to say, if we don't get Chris Long, this is what I would do. We lost Bruce and did not get a soild vet WR. We are going to have to run the ball well, and we could with SJ behind this line.

Add FB Lornzo Neal and we would be set.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

In order to be a smokescreen, doesn't the team have to send out a lot of signals that the prospect in question could be the pick? This is the first I've seen of anything regarding the Rams and Gholston being mentioned together, so if he's a smokescreen, they haven't done a very good job so far spreading the smoke.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I wonder if Linehan would use the "smoke screen" technique if the Rams had the first pick in the draft....

Hmmmm.....

RebelYell is offline Registered User

To be a smoke screen you HAVE to entice teams to trade up. The only people that will cause that are Ryan, Jake Long and McFadden. Since Jake Long is the only guy of those three being mentioned right now, he's the likely choice for smoke screen.

Chris Long and Gholston are likely not smoke screens and I don't think anyone seriously thinks the Rams will take yet another DT.

Several teams are targeting Jake Long if he is available. Kansas City is a perfect example and Atlanta is decimated at the OT position. If the Rams are going to make a trade, Kansas City is the target.

smitheRAM is offline Registered User

I don't think we can use J. Long or C. Long as smoke screens because everyone already knows we need help in both areas and would probably be happy with either one. And if we really do like Gholston, let people know and that we would be willing to trade down. Still getting our man.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by smitheRAM View Post
    I don't think we can use J. Long or C. Long as smoke screens because everyone already knows we need help in both areas and would probably be happy with either one. And if we really do like Gholston, let people know and that we would be willing to trade down. Still getting our man.
    Do you understand what a smokescreen is? Chris Long and Jake Long are the most PROBABLE smokescreens BECAUSE we would be interested in them due to our needs. We are likely to take them and so if a team wants either one they know they need to get ahead of us.

The whole goal of this time is to NOT tell teams what player we really want because then they start to wonder why and start wanted them themselves. If we tell teams what player we're really targeting, then either they won't trade with us because they know that we won't take who they want. If we really want Gholston, and tell teams this, they won't trade up with us because he's not worth a #2 pick and will either gamble that we won't take him at that point, or we'll overpay for him and let them get someone worth a high pick for less.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast