Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: This years smoke screen is....

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Its possible we could be saying we like Jake Long solely to drag the Chiefs into trading with us, which puts us in a position to draft one of Gholston, Dorsey or Ellis but also pick up a few picks in the process

however, its really not out of the question that we do take Jake Long and play him at RG for this year and move him to tackle the next.

Giving us an OL of:
    LT Pace
    LG Bell
    C Incognito
    RG Long
    RT Barron
    Though that looks good...this won't be as bad.

LT Pace
    LG Bell
    C Incognito
    RG Setterstrom
    RT Barron

What I do want is

DE Long (or Gholston, whomever we draft)
    DT Ryan
    DT Carriker
    DT Little

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    Though that looks good...this won't be as bad.

LT Pace
    LG Bell
    C Incognito
    RG Setterstrom
    RT Barron

What I do want is

DE Long (or Gholston, whomever we draft)
    DT Ryan
    DT Carriker
    DT Little
    Amen brother. Rams draft an OT in the 2nd or 3rd round to replace Pace in two years and Little's replacement comes in the 2009 draft and we have two solid and young lines.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Actually, the latest I heard is we will be the screenee, not screener. Latest reports from Cuba North is that Parcells wants a TE with the first pick. Linehan is on the horn with Miami as we speak.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Actually, the latest I heard is we will be the screenee, not screener. Latest reports from Cuba North is that Parcells wants a TE with the first pick. Linehan is on the horn with Miami as we speak.
    One thing about Parcells, he really knows how to bait the hook and then reel them in.

smitheRAM is offline Registered User

smoke screen(n.)An action or statement used to conceal actual plans or intentions.
    First let me just say I would love to play poker against TekeRam someday. While you understand the basics you lack in creativity . Lets try and think ahead.The Rams will not be trading up. In all likelyhood there will only be one Long left to draft. Now if Gholston is your man (my mistake in previous thread, I didn't mean to let people know that you wanted Gholston I meant to let them know you were willing to trade) then yes as you say Long can be the smoke screen. Move down, pick up a pick and still get your man. Now if either Long is who you want (and I think it should be) but you still want to pick up a pick, then get creative. Put out rumors Bulgers still hurt, he's not happy with the coaches, Ryan is the next Elway. Now that is a smoke screen. Then maybe trade with Atlanta. If you try to move any futher down it will depend on what Long is left. Oakland might take a DE and Kansas City would take a OT so then you lose your guy. We might even draft Ryan or McFadden and trade, saving some money on the signing. Risky business that I hope we're up for.

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

Are you assuming the staffs of the top 5 teams are all idiots? We just signed Bulger to a huge extension, being a top 5 QB....and you're smokescreen is to draft one with the second pick? You can't use a smokescreen for something that you don't need...

The entire league knows we're going to draft a lineman.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

In order to be a smokescreen you have to pretend and say you have interest in a guy it would be reasonable to covet. IMO the real smokescreen is Jake Long. Heres why:

1. The ideal situation for the rams (with Chris Long gone) is to trade down a couple spots and still get a premier defensive player (Gholston, Ellis). The Chiefs are the guys we want to entice a trade up with. Just like AP affects McFadden's draft stock, Joe Thomas effects Jake Long . The Chiefs definitely need that premier game changing tackle.

2. Jake Long is the name getting the most attention out of STL based media. The Atlanta media last year were eying other guys and then Jamaal Anderson came out of nowhere. I think Dorsey is Devaney's man in the few words he said when he described him nothing , but love. It is Devaney's job to get the best players possible to the team who will start. It is the coaches job to incorporate that player in the game.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

We are pulling a big smoke screen. Just before the draft reports will come out that the Rams are 'enamoured' with McFadden, and that despite everything he is too much of a talent to pass over. Jackson is out of contract at the end of the season so its not out of the question.

However this is just a ploy to get the Jets or Raiders to throw picks at us, so we move down and draft Gholston

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    We are pulling a big smoke screen. Just before the draft reports will come out that the Rams are 'enamoured' with McFadden, and that despite everything he is too much of a talent to pass over. Jackson is out of contract at the end of the season so its not out of the question.

However this is just a ploy to get the Jets or Raiders to throw picks at us, so we move down and draft Gholston
    Still not sure why the Jets or Raiders really want McFadden, as the Raiders just threw some good money to Justin Fargas... wait, ok. He's Justin Fargas, I can understand now, but the money is still thrown his way, and the running back class is deep. I don't think they need yet another running back after they picked up a big name the last two years in the offseason.

As for the Jets, I have two reasons. One, they robbed Chicago for Thomas Jones last year, and then gave him a shiny new contract. He's the number one there. Leon Washington also did very nicely returning kicks and being the backup. The Jets just spent a lot of money upgrading the offensive line to make room for those guys, and their defense needs attention. I expect them to go after Ellis, Gholston, or a new corner.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Still not sure why the Jets or Raiders really want McFadden, as the Raiders just threw some good money to Justin Fargas... wait, ok. He's Justin Fargas, I can understand now, but the money is still thrown his way, and the running back class is deep. I don't think they need yet another running back after they picked up a big name the last two years in the offseason.

As for the Jets, I have two reasons. One, they robbed Chicago for Thomas Jones last year, and then gave him a shiny new contract. He's the number one there. Leon Washington also did very nicely returning kicks and being the backup. The Jets just spent a lot of money upgrading the offensive line to make room for those guys, and their defense needs attention. I expect them to go after Ellis, Gholston, or a new corner.

i think they look at McFadden simply because he is McFadden, he has the talent to be a complete stud in this league. Although teams will look at Reggie Bush and be put off of McFadden, as Bush hasnt lived up to his billing coming out of college

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

The #2 spot is great for a smoke screen, because the truth is we could take ANYBODY. We've got holes all over the place, so nearly every position is in the mix. The effectiveness of any ploy would come down to the FO being able to sell the right prospect to the right team.

And hey, if all else fails, just go old fashioned and actually draft the highest prospect on the board. Every once in a while even that works. lol
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12