Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By THOLTFAN81

Thread: Yes, we need an OL, DT, LB and RB... but what kind?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Yes, we need an OL, DT, LB and RB... but what kind?

Assume we take a WR (Blackmon) or CB (Claiborne) in Round 1. Looking at the finer points of the needs we're trying to fill in Rounds 2-4, what type of players do you think we should target?

Offensive Lineman
    Do we need an OT (i.e. Mike Adams, Bobby Massey, Zebrie Sanders) or an OG who might be able to play some RT (i.e. Kevin Zeitler, Kelechi Osemele)?

Defensive Tackle
    Do we need a gap shooter (i.e. Devon Still, Jerell Worthy, Kendall Reyes) or a hole-clogger (i.e. Brandon Thompson, Almeda Ta'amu)?

Linebacker
    Do we need a WLB type (i.e. Zach Brown, Lavonte David, Sean Spence) or a SLB/MLB type (i.e. Bobby Wagner, Mychal Kendricks, Keenan Robinson)?

Running Back
    Do we need an every-down/heir apparent (i.e. Doug Martin, Chris Polk) or a change-of-pace/speed back (i.e. Lamar Miller, David Wilson, LaMichael James)?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Yes, we need an OL, DT, LB and RB... but what kind?

My thoughts:

Offensive Lineman: Though there is risk inherent in relying on Jason Smith (and, perhaps, Rodger Saffold as well), I think there will be better value going for an OG type who could potentially play RT.

Defensive Tackle: I like Kendall Langford as a starting "gap shooter," so I'd prefer a hole-clogger type.

Linebacker: We could use either, so my preference is not strong, but I'd lean slightly toward the SLB type.

Running Back: No preference. Either could be valuable.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Offensive line, I say OG unless it's Kalil, otherwise we give Saffold and Smith another chance at tackle.

DT, with Long and Quinn I'd say we more need a hole clogger. Especially given the fact our OLBs probably won't be that strong again this year, we need to beef up our ability to stop the run along the line.

Lineback, both really, but I feel we can get a better WLB than SLB, maybe that's just my opinion though.

Running back, I call for a change-of-pace back and look for the heir apparent next year.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

O-Line: OG with RT capability
    DT : Hole Clogger
    Linebacker: WLB
    Runningback: Change of pace guy
    berg8309 likes this.

Rambos is online now Registered User

I think we need to address both lines in the second RD, we need two starters, Guard and Defensive Tackle.... Linebacker would be the next priority for me... best LB on the board in the third RD since we need both outside.

Offensive Lineman

Kevin Zeitler, Kelechi Osemele

Defensive Tackle

Jerell Worthy, Kendall Reyes

Linebacker
    BPA

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

We need the good kind.

(Seriously, why do I not have a front office job by now?)

RKDfan is offline Registered User

Offensive Line: Any type of upgrade would be nice.

Defensive Tackle: A hole clogger for sure. It would make a huge difference in our horrid run defense. Also, I think Langford would be a decent gap shooter.

Linebacker: See offensive line.

Running Back: I think we can hold off the apparent heir to Jackson for one more year, so I would look for a change of pace type player.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Offensive line is freakishly complex with the injury variable. I think Kalil is out of the question only because he's an attractive trade down option if he falls.

OLB could be of either variety. Many teams are doing away with the SLB versus WLB and going with left / right. They'll get several guys later in the draft I'm guessing.

With the way offenses are operating with RB by committee and spreading things out, I'm not sure the change of pace back is a relevant description. Jones-Drew, Johnson, most of the New England runner and Charles would normally be considered change of pace backs and they've been featured. IMO, I'd rather have 2 speed guys than 1 guy who appears to be a potential feature back like Jackson. Reduces injury risk exposure and opens up the offense.

The Rams need a run DT who demands double teams. Long is a solid player, not elite. Quinn appears to be the more explosive player. If they could get one great DT to force 1-1 blocking on the rest, it changes the defense. Finnegan and Fletcher would benefit greatly by having a pass rush they can count on every down.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Offensive Lineman-ideally i`d like us to trade down with the Bills if Kalil makes it to us with Blackmon or Richardson already gone,then it would be a difficult choice between Floyd and DeCastro with that pick but i`d be happy with DeCastro there at 10. barring that i`d go for someone who play both but only if the player grades close to that of the pure OG.getting a solid starter at LG is a must (or RG if Dahl is moved over there)

Defensive Tackle-it may seem overkill but ideally both. Worthy would be my 2.1 pick and i wouldn't even care to listen to offers about trading down. for a huge clogger NT if we can't go two in round 2 then maybe Josh Chapman could be had later in the draft.if Worthy is gone then apart from Derek Wolfe as a possible pick at the start of the 3rd i`d leave that position for now and just take the best NT.

Linebacker -Dunbar seems to be pencilled in for SLB tho i`d prefer someone with a bigger body there.looking at the prospects this year,there`s not many Chad Greenway`s in this class but quite a few decent WLB`s so barring getting Wagner i`d go WLB with someone like David or Brown,Bradham.

Running Back -Muscle Hamster could be both. but an heir apparent if we have to pick between the two types.