Weddle is offline Registered User

Yet ANOTHER mock draft by a clueless fan (me)

*Edited a couple of picks as I had Brandon Pettigrew going twice! - thanks for the heads up Nick!*

Let me have your unfiltered opinions!

Taken from my YankeeDoodleBrit Tumblr blog...

1.1 – Detroit Lions
    Pick – Matthew Stafford (QB) –The franchise needs to be built around a QB. Stafford is the top rated signal-caller in 2009 and the Lions are stupid enough to pick him despite the fact he’s a junior with poor accuracy (57.1%) and low yards per attempt (7.83). Ever heard of David Greene??? No?? He was the guy before Stafford in Georgia who played in basically the same system, with the same HC (Mark Richt) and posted better numbers (59% & 8.01). Greene has now retired, having never taken a NFL snap. Even Matt Millen would turn in his grave.

1.2 – St Louis Rams
    Pick – Jason Smith (OT) – After releasing Orlando Pace the Rams have big O-Line needs. Yes they need a wideout badly too, but elite Offensive Tackles are a rare breed that must be taken when they can. The former Tight-End Jason Smith edges out the more polished Eugene Monroe with his intangibles, agility and potential.

1.3 – Kansas City Chiefs
    Pick – Eugene Monroe (OT) – Many people see them taking Aaron Curry, but Pioli will want to take Monroe to protect Cassell. Monroe and Brandon Albert will provide a great pair of tackles to keep the anti-Cutler upright. They might even get a semblance of a running game going too.

1.4 – Seattle Seahawks
    Pick – Aaron Curry (OLB) – Trading away a multi-threat OLB like Julian Peterson can leave you with a hole, even if you get Cory Redding in exchange. Curry = safe and a position of need.

1.5 – Cleveland Browns
    Pick – Brian Orakpo (OLB) – The Browns have several needs but DE/OLB hybrid Orakpo looks like he might tempt them. If he can generate some pass-rush the much maligned Cleveland corners will have an easier job too.

1.6 – Cincinnati Bengals
    Pick – Andre Smith (OT) – OT is a GAPING need for the Bengals. The Bengals also like drafting ASSHOLES. Andre Smith is a GAPING ASSHOLE....winner!

1.7 – Oakland Raiders
    Pick – Michael Crabtee (WR) – Al Davies loves the hype. The only danger is that Davis has worked himself into a bloodlust over Maclin’s speed and return abilities, but it’s likely Crabtree’s college production should be enough to counter.

1.8 – Jacksonville Jaguars
    Pick – Jeremy Maclin (WR) – They need wideouts badly following the last years Free Agent flops (Porter & Williamson) and the release of a coked-up Matt Jones. Maclin is the clear #2 receiver in the draft class.

1.9 – Green Bay Packers
    Pick – Everette Brown (DE/OLB) – The transition to a 3-4 means that although B.J. Raji is a safer pick, the Packers will want Brown to play opposite Kampmann. A decent enough pass-rush might prolong the usefulness of ageing defensive backs Al Wilson and Charles Woodson.

1.10 – San Francisco *****
    Pick – Michael Oher (OT) – The Whiners need to give whichever replacement–level QB that starts for them time to look downfield, so Oher can slot in at RT while Staley plays LT. They might take Sanchez. I hope they do. 16 starts = learning curve!

1.11 – Buffalo Bills
    Pick – Brandon Pettigrew (TE) – The best dual-purpose TE by a mile. Will be a nice checkdown alternative to T.O and Lee Evans, while also a competent blocker. It’s as much of a last option as the clear top DEs and OTs are gone.

1.12 – Denver Broncos
    Pick – B.J.Raji (DT) – A dream come true for the Broncos to get their ideal player here. Shame McDaniels has totally messed things up with his dealings surrounding Jay Cutler. This should be a ‘win’ though to offset the ‘loss’ with Cutler.

1.13 – Washington Redskins
    Pick - Aaron Maybin (DE/OLB) – The loss of Taylor and OLB Marcus Washington has exposed serious depth issues. Maybin is a tweener with massive bust potential. They might prefer Tyson Jackson’s size.

1.14 – New Orleans Saints
    Pick – Michael Jenkins (CB) – Due to a slower than expected 40 time Jenkins slips to the team that needs him most. Lucky S.O.Bs.
    1.15 – Houston Texans
    Pick – Chris ‘Beanie’ Wells (RB) – As much of a value pick as anything else as Wells is the classes top RB talent. His bruising running style will compliment Slaton and give Schaub more exploitable coverage, not that Andre Johnson has ever needed it.

1.16 – San Diego Chargers
    Pick – Ray Maualuga (ILB) – The elite OTs are gone and Tyron Jackson is a riskier bet at DE than Maualuga to play with Merriman and Phillips. A good value pick as much as anything.

1.17 – New York Jets
    Pick – Marck Sanchez (QB) – Favre is gone – hallelujah! Clemens isn’t their man. Same with the Detroit strategy, if you see a “franchise QB” available and you don’t have one, you take them. Ryan will also want to mould his ‘own guy’.

1.18 – Chicago Bears
    Pick – Darrius Heyward-Bey (WR) – The Bears have nothing that resembles a passing offense outside of a gimmick-player who no longer has a gimmick at WR and a drunk at QB. They might like Harvin, but a Harvin and Hester would just be flat out end-around madness!

1.19 – Tampa Bay Buccaners
    Pick - Peria Jerry (DT) – A great showing at the Senior Bowl made sure of Jerry’s round 1 status and the Buccs need a player with his skillset.

1.20 – Detroit Lions (from Dallas Cowboys)
    Pick – Vontae Davis (CB) – You can argue they don’t have a single starter-level corner on the roster...

1.21 – Philadelphia Eagles
    Pick – Knowshawn Moreno (RB) – After losing Buckhalter to the Broncos they lack depth in the backfield, especially when you consider how Westbrook likes to spend most the season on the Injury Report.

1.22 – Minnesota Vikings
    Pick - Tyson Jackson (DT/DE) – The Williams Wall faces suspension. Jared Allen could be arrest for DUI at any moment.

1.23 – New England Patriots
    Pick – James Laurinaitis (ILB) – A multi-year starter with over career 350 tackles. From Linebacker U too. He’d also look great alongside Tom Brady and Wes Welkahhh flying the flag of white boys in the NFL.

1.24 – Atlanta Falcons
    Pick – Clint Sintim (OLB) – With Keith Brooking and Michael Boley out they’ll look to draft someone to replace them.

1.25 – Miami Dolphins
    Pick – Alphonso Smith (CB) – Outside of Will Allen, who the hell are these guys that play corner for the Dolphins. They are Detroit standard CBs! A serious position of need for the Tuna.

1.26 – Baltimore Ravens
    Pick – Percy Harvin (WR) – The Ravens showed a propensity for trick plays and wildcat-esque highjinks at times in 2008, so why not add a player with no defined position? Harvin has top-end speed and would provide so play-making ability opposite Mason and the RBBC that is the Baltimore backfield could do with another confusing element.

1.27 – Indianapolis Colts
    Pick - Evander ‘Ziggy’ Hood (DT) – Their current starters are nobodies and he looks to be a solid and somewhat safe pick. A little boring, very Polian...

1.28 – Philadelphia Eagles
    Pick - Louis Delmas (S) - Knowing Andy Reid he’ll probably trade this pick away. If not, Delmas is an on-field leader to replace a Brian Dawkins sized hole. The loss of Sean Considine also makes this a probable.

1.29 – New York Giants
    Pick – Kenny Britt (WR) – When you lose you #1 wideout because he shot himself in the leg, then bomb out of the playoffs despite being a dominant force all year, you need to take action to prevent it happening again. I’m not sure Hixon is the answer, although Steve Smith Mk.II is a handy player. The new look G-Men will be Britt instead of Burress, Smith instead of Toomer and Boss instead of Shockey.

1.30 – Tennessee Titans
    Pick – Hakeen Nicks (WR) – They have needed a receiver for at least 3 years. It might have cost them a SuperBowl last year, depending on who you listen to. They don’t want Holt it seems, so mebeb they will finally draft someone for Collins (or Young!?) to through to other than Justin Gage!

1.31 – Arizona Cardinals
    Pick – Larry English (DE) – They’d like a runningback to replace Edge, but chances are Wells and Moreno will be long gone by this late in the first. English screams value here has he is first round talent and will help give bigger teeth to a pass-rush that already contains Darnell Dockett but flatters to deceive at the End position via Bertrand Berry and Antonio Smith.

1.32 – Pittsburgh Steelers
    Pick – Eben Britton (OT) – Despite the Bowl win we all saw Big Ben spend most of 2008 scrambling away from pass rushers so the O-Line is clearly an issue. Britton would be a great pick-up if he was still on the board.

2.1(33) – Detroit Lions
    Pick – William Beatty (OT) – It’s an “ideal” draft for the Lions as they got their ‘franchise play-caller’ at 1.1 (although he will crash and burn!) and then brought in a actual NFL calibre defensive back with 1.20 and now they get the O-Lineman they’d have been better served taking first. Oh well, all is well that end well, right?

2.2 (34) – New England Patriots (from Kansas)
    Pick – Darrius Butler (CB) – Belichick’s mastery of defensive scheming didn’t manage to hide the fact that they Patriot’s secondary sucked in ’08. They might opt for Brian Cushing, but after taking Mayo last year and Laurinaitis at 1.23 I think it’s overkill...

2.3 (35) – St Louis Rams
    Pick – Sean Smith (CB) – A slightly biased pick from a Utes fan, but Smith has size and speed which he’ll need in the NFC West against Fitzgerald and Houshmanzadeh. Also there is no legit starter opposite Bartell and would help complete the unit nicely (Bartell, Smith, Atogwe, Butler with Hill/King as the nickel). Other popular picks might be Robiskie (WR) or Brace (DT). Personally I think we can still grab Barsden or Iglesias (WR) in the 3rd while Brace benefitted from playing alongside Raji so might have been over-valued. Robert Ayers would be major value picks here as a long term prospect opposite Chris Long, but I feel Little can still do a starters job, whereas Hill/Wade/King can’t.
    Last edited by Weddle; -03-27-2009 at 04:53 AM.

jbell15 is offline Registered User

Re: Yet ANOTHER mock draft by a clueless fan (me)

I think we will take Brace before we ever take a CB/S in round two.(sigh)

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Hey Weddle

The CB position isn't a great need.

I keep hearing all these Rams fans on this site saying King is a bust. How can anyone say that, He had a preseason in his ROOKIE year and that is it. Give him a chance. Lets say you draft Sean Smith in 2nd and right before season starts he goes down with a injury do you consider him a bust also.
    Ron Bartel took 3 years to develope into a good CB.
    It's my opinion After 3 years if they can't make starting rotation , then that individual is considered a bust.

LDE Eric Moore(the official site of the Rams) 5 seasons and still can't make starting rotation. " BUST " Bring in someone else and give him a chance.

I like the pick of E. Monroe or J. Smith in the first. In the 2nd (WR, NT/DT, DE) Take the best available player.
    3: Jasper Brinkley MLB
    The Rams need a whole lot of help and to get younger. I've been wanting E. ZIGGY Hood in the 2nd Rd ,but he's been tearing it up in the Combine and prodays. Now he looks like he'll be gone in the 1st Rd.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I agree with Shan, we have way too many needs that prevent us from drafting a corner on the first day. If we don't beef up our linebacker corp before the season starts everyone get ready to watch running backs (and QBs in VY's case) torch us for big gains all year long.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Interesting mock, a couple out of the box picks that are always fun to see just so that you can read about something different.

The Chiefs taking an OT is one of them, but repairing Monroe and Albert could really help make KC's line special again.

Curry to Seattle scares me, and gives them arguably one of the best LB corps in the NFL. I'd hate to have to face that group twice a year.

Houston taking Chris Wells is very intriguing as well, and would continue to really improve an already growing offensive unit. The temptation is to go defense there, but I like the pick for its unconventionalness.

Louis Delmas to Philly is intriguing because they did lose Dawkins, but they still have Demps and Mikell, and they signed Sean Jones from Cleveland. I can't help but wonder if they wouldn't go RB or OL with that pick.

Oh, I believe you had Brandon Pettigrew going twice though (Buffalo & Philly).

Overall though, great read!

That's what happens when you try and do a mock draft in your breaks at work! Should be able to tweak it easy enough to not draft Pettigrew twice!

I sorted out the double pick...

Nick - Thanks for the compliments. I did to combine value with need in my picks as much as anything and find 'alternative solutions' to team problems (i.e. take a pass-rusher to give a weaker secondary more time to regain coverage, or visa versa, take a corner to allow the Ends more time to get to the QB...)

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Shan the Ram Man View Post
    I keep hearing all these Rams fans on this site saying King is a bust.
    ive not seen it said even once that King is a "bust" but if youd like to point out where its been said i would like to respond to it.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Hey Weddle

The CB position isn't a great need.

I keep hearing all these Rams fans on this site saying King is a bust. How can anyone say that, He had a preseason in his ROOKIE year and that is it. Give him a chance. Lets say you draft Sean Smith in 2nd and right before season starts he goes down with a injury do you consider him a bust also.
    Ron Bartel took 3 years to develope into a good CB.
    It's my opinion After 3 years if they can't make starting rotation , then that individual is considered a bust.

LDE Eric Moore(the official site of the Rams) 5 seasons and still can't make starting rotation. " BUST " Bring in someone else and give him a chance.

I like the pick of E. Monroe or J. Smith in the first. In the 2nd (WR, NT/DT, DE) Take the best available player.
    3: Jasper Brinkley MLB
    The Rams need a whole lot of help and to get younger. I've been wanting E. ZIGGY Hood in the 2nd Rd ,but he's been tearing it up in the Combine and prodays. Now he looks like he'll be gone in the 1st Rd.

Actually, there are maybe only one or two people on this board that think King is a bust. He hasn't even played yet; I don't think that many people would judge King based on an injury.

However, it is fair to say that many people including me think that King has a lot of work to do to catch up.

I've by no means counted King as a bust either, it's just I remember him being touted as very 'raw' with a lot to learn. A project-type player...After having a season long injury it's hard to see him simply sliding straight in as a competent starter. This is not to say he can't develop into a good CB, it's just he's still a risky prospect...

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Weddle View Post
    I've by no means counted King as a bust either, it's just I remember him being touted as very 'raw' with a lot to learn. A project-type player...After having a season long injury it's hard to see him simply sliding straight in as a competent starter. This is not to say he can't develop into a good CB, it's just he's still a risky prospect...
    I agree it took Bartel until the 3rd season as a Ram to develope. I didn't say you said Weddle that King was a BUST. Have to give players some time to develope , same with Sean Smith could be a great CB in 2 to 3 years.

ive not seen it said even once that King is a "bust" but if youd like to point out where its been said i would like to respond to it.

"LOOKING" RAMBLIN RAM

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Every year, there are one or two players who are projected second or third round picks, conventionally they're DB's or Linebackers, who end up falling through the floor of the seventh round. I just have that feeling about Smith; I think there are better picks for St. Louis in round two. With that said, I have an even stronger 'undrafted' feeling about Darius Butler out of Connecticut. It's based moreso on bias than it is close examination of his play.

To the rest of the mock...

Kansas City pick is very original and, IMO, a very bright idea.
    You could probably make the case for Raji over Oher at pick 10. But really, it's San Francisco, so who cares?
    I think eleven is too high for Pettigrew; that's just preference.
    The Corner depth in this draft probably better affords Detroit an OT at 20 and DB at 33... just to be safe.
    Quinton Mikell and Sean Jones have too much starting ability for Philadelphia to take a first round safety.
    That's a really nice pick for the Titans.
    Brian Cushing falls out of the first???

Good Job!

Cheers for the kind words!

I did try to think outside of the box so to speak, without being silly... saying that, Cushing falling out of the first might count as foolish!!

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

thanks for the mock...

rant alert:

just a note, inaccuracies on the St. Louis Rams website keep rearing up. Moore was a 6th rounder in 2005... so he's only played 4 years in the nfl. This season will be his 5th. On the plus side, he was originally drafted by the Giants, so IF he's a bust... at least he's not the Rams' bust! just a "hand me down" bust. hmmmm, not sure which is better

Spag's should know his stuff when it comes to D linemen... he'll start seeing Moore on the pitch today (1st minicamp of 2009!) and will figure out what to do with him, i'm sure. I think his pass rush skills are fine, just not convinced of his run D. I'd definitely like to see some competition for those 2nd and 3rd string DE spots though! make him earn his keep!

ok that's it... go Rams!