Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    onslaught11 is offline Registered User

Are you a Chris or a Vern?

The Rams are going to pick a DE with their selection. It is the worst kept secret. The thing is are you a Chris Long or a Vernon Gholston supporter?

I would like Chris Long to be selected by the Rams. He is good against the run and more than sufficient rushing the passer. He is a rich man's Patrick Kerney with a motor that never stop. He can come in and dominate a game.

If Chris Long is gone, I would not be too disappointed with the selection of Vern. He is like a Ware/Merriman clone. In some games, he looks like LT.

We will create such an onslaught against humanity that our enemies will take generations before ever thinking of attacking us again.
    -- General William Jauro-Smythe Killan
    before the battle of Tupiero Do
    :angryram:

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Are you a Chris or a Vern?

IMO, at this point, it's not even a contest between Long and Gholston. Long wins by a mile. Take away the Wisconsin and Michigan games and Gholston didn't look like a #2 pick this year. Don't get me wrong.....kudos for stepping up in the big games, but where was the rest of the season. VG is probably the better pure pass rusher, but nowhere near the run stopper that Long is.

Maybe VG moves to the outside of a 3-4, but even then I'd rather have Long as a 3-4 DE than Gholston as a 3-4 OLB.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

SWFCRAM is offline Registered User

What about if we traded down with any of the Jets, Falcons, Chiefs or Raiders and took Gholston there? If that happened, which round pick would we get off them?

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by onslaught11 View Post
    The Rams are going to pick a DE with their selection. It is the worst kept secret. The thing is are you a Chris Long or a Vernon Gholston supporter?

I would like Chris Long to be selected by the Rams. He is good against the run and more than sufficient rushing the passer. He is a rich man's Patrick Kerney with a motor that never stop. He can come in and dominate a game.

If Chris Long is gone, I would not be too disappointed with the selection of Vern. He is like a Ware/Merriman clone. In some games, he looks like LT.
    If Chris Long is taken by the Tuna then our pick is the BDP (best Defensive player) Glenn Dorsey. Nobody lese really comes close at this point in time. If this happens, maybe we can get Lawrence Jackson, USC, in the 2nd round.

WHAT SAY YE?

Mooselini is offline Registered User

To me it's Chris Long. I'm not changing my mind.

However, if Parcells steals Long. My second bet would be Dorsey without a doubt. It's one of the other. Really hard to screw up our first pick.

ENN107 is offline Registered User

Please don't over think the pick. The standard in which all players should be measured is their play on the field. The combine and all star games are good but don't lose sight that Chris Long and Glenn Dorsey are the two best defensive players in the draft. The decision is simple we draft the guy Miami doesn't

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

Now you all say Long but wait till the combine Gholston will be amazing. There are many in college football who say pound for pound he is one of the strongest players in college football

Quote Originally Posted by rams_fan81 View Post
    Now you all say Long but wait till the combine Gholston will be amazing. There are many in college football who say pound for pound he is one of the strongest players in college football
    Combine numbers are great, but I'd put a lot more stock in game film. Long is just as effective a pass rusher as Gholston and a better run stopper. I got nothing against Gholston. If we can trade back 2, 3, even 4 spots and get the junior, I'm all for it. However, if we have to pick #2, Chris Long has to be the pick.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

PossumBoy9 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Maybe VG moves to the outside of a 3-4, but even then I'd rather have Long as a 3-4 DE than Gholston as a 3-4 OLB.
    I'm not sure I see Chris Long as a 3-4 DE. In the 3-4, he might be better at OLB.

In the 3-4, the OLB spot is more premium, IMO.

PHAT-MONEY Guest

IMO Glenn Dorsey will be the #1 overall pick.. so we will have our pick of the crop. if not we WILL NOT pass on him. Slide carriker back to DE and Dorsey and Glover with the rotation of Clifton Ryan great.. we can hold off drafting Leonard littles replacement atleast untill next year hopefully.

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

I don't like the idea of another LSU D-tackle after the Claude Wroten experiment. Take Chris Long.

Quote Originally Posted by PossumBoy9 View Post
    I'm not sure I see Chris Long as a 3-4 DE. In the 3-4, he might be better at OLB.

In the 3-4, the OLB spot is more premium, IMO.
    Not a 3-4 DE? He's a 3-4 and 4-3 DE now. I'm just not sure a 285 lb. OLB is going to have the speed a DC would want.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I agree, it sounds rather fishy to suggest Long may be a better 3-4 OLB than a 3-4 DE. Not sure I see that one. But I do agree that in the 3-4 alignment, that explosive pass rushing linebacker is much more important to the scheme than the two gapping defensive end, which may ultimately be a reason why Parcells and the Dolphins could go Gholston with their first overall pick.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I agree, it sounds rather fishy to suggest Long may be a better 3-4 OLB than a 3-4 DE. Not sure I see that one. But I do agree that in the 3-4 alignment, that explosive pass rushing linebacker is much more important to the scheme than the two gapping defensive end, which may ultimately be a reason why Parcells and the Dolphins could go Gholston with their first overall pick.
    With Ireland on board, the 'tweener pick is certainly a possibility, but would Parcells really reach for Gholston with the top pick? Maybe so, but it just doesn't seem.......Parcellish, you know?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    With Ireland on board, the 'tweener pick is certainly a possibility, but would Parcells really reach for Gholston with the top pick? Maybe so, but it just doesn't seem.......Parcellish, you know?
    I'm not convinced there's another pick out there that makes more sense. There isn't a QB that has shown himself to be worthy of that pick. McFadden could be out because Brown ran well for them before being injured and is still under contract. Jake Long is the highest ranked OL right now but is not worth being taken at that spot. Dorsey is miscast as a 3-4 DL, which is likely the scheme Parcells will want the Dolphins to run. Long is a possibility, but the rush linebacker is the dangerous part of that defense, and depending on how Gholston works out, it may not be as much of a reach as you'd think. Ultimately I think Parcells would prefer to trade down, but I think Gholston looks about as good as anyone else in that spot for the time being. Let's not forget that Parcells drafted DeMarcus Ware to be his 3-4 OLB in the first round (11th overall pick) of the '05 draft when in Dallas.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast