Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

Are you really happy with our middle 3?

I keep seeing in threads such how peopel are saying don't draft a lb because we have no place to put him. And with Chris draft we are set at the linebacker position. I ever see people pushing for us to draft someone in the secondary? Are you kidding me? I know that our secondary isn't the greatest thing ever, but still we have much bigger problems with our run defense. I know that the addition of men for the defensive line would make it better, but by how much? You can have the biggest faster line in the game but if the running back breaks out and your linebackers can't stop them it's going to be a long day jack.

How much longer do you think we can last without getting a true MLB. Don't get me wrong I think that Witherspoon did a great job at the position last year. He just isn't big enough. So how much longer can we afford to keep our linebacking core the way that it is?

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Are you really happy with our middle 3?

Don't get me wrong I think that Witherspoon did a great job at the position last year. He just isn't big enough. So how much longer can we afford to keep our linebacking core the way that it is?
    This is a good question. My take is this, both Haslett and the Rams really like Spoon in the middle and think he will be even more effective once we get more beef in front of him. Or they really would like to add a guy that is bigger but donít want to tip their hand in the draft.

RamsNation Guest

Well, I agree with Rambos that Witherspoon will be more effective with better tackles in front of him. In fact, I keep saying this, but I believe he will be a top 5 MLB with more help and time at the position. he was around the ball a lot for someone playing with our D-tackles in front of him last year.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

The reasoning behind not drafting a linebacker in the first round, reasoning I admittedly applied only to a free agent linebacker at first but now understand and agree with for a first round rookie as well, isn't because we're fine at the position but simply because it doesn't make much sense from a financial standpoint.

All three linebackers (Pisa, 'Spoon, and let's assume Willis) will only be on the field together in our base 4-3. When we switch to nickel pass packages, one of them is going to have to come off the field in order to be replaced by a defensive back. We just signed Pisa to a big $25 million deal and 'Spoon has over $30 million invested in him; it's doubtful we paid them that much money to come off the field in passing situations.

So that means the first round linebacker (again, likely Willis if we'd take one) comes off the field in the nickel. So you'll be paying someone first round money to be a two-down player, which is basically a waste. You can find two-down players later in the draft for less money, which is essentially the strategy the Rams should be using.

For example, if the Rams want a true run-stuffing MLB (which they say they don't but let's pretend) who they're able to sub off the field on passing downs, they could have a shot at Michigan's David Harris or Florida's Brandon Siler in round two at a lower cost. If you're looking for someone to battle Chillar for the SAM linebacker job, you could look at Nebraska's Stewart Bradley in round two or Brown's Zak DeOssie in rounds 3-4. I like all four of these guys as Day One upgrades to our LB unit, but none of them are going to cost a lot as second or third rounders so it's much more practical to take them off the field.

The reason a cornerback is starting to make more sense, at least in my opinion, is because I don't think Fakhir Brown is as good as many Rams fans think he is. Furthermore, Brown turns 30 this season and probably doesn't have more than 2-3 more years of starting-caliber play. While a first round corner might not see a lot of time on the field this season either, that player is being drafted to be a full-time starter in the future.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

i would love to see damien hughes in a rams uni next season... can someone say the next devin hester

z.nrd Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post
    I keep seeing in threads such how peopel are saying don't draft a lb because we have no place to put him. And with Chris draft we are set at the linebacker position. I ever see people pushing for us to draft someone in the secondary? Are you kidding me? I know that our secondary isn't the greatest thing ever, but still we have much bigger problems with our run defense. I know that the addition of men for the defensive line would make it better, but by how much? You can have the biggest faster line in the game but if the running back breaks out and your linebackers can't stop them it's going to be a long day jack.

How much longer do you think we can last without getting a true MLB. Don't get me wrong I think that Witherspoon did a great job at the position last year. He just isn't big enough. So how much longer can we afford to keep our linebacking core the way that it is?
    There are several reasons to draft a CB at 13.

1. #13th is too high a pick to simply throw away on a perceived "need" if the value is not there. Now that's within reason...you don't just take someone you DON'T need just cause they are the BPA. But, within reason, you go for the best player who fits your scheme, can help you, and brings great value to the table. If the DTs and DEs are gone, that's CB for the Rams.

2. The Rams actually do need a CB. Assuming Butler is a goner, then, they only have 3 CBs---including one oft-injured vet, a very green 2nd year player, and a very green 3rd year player.

3. First-rate CB play is crucial to Haslett's defense because he often plays the CBs in man one on one to cover for all the blitzing from the front 7.

4. CB is one of those positions where it's very wise to stock up on the best possible players. You can get NTs lower; you can get LBs lower. As a rule, there is a tremendous experience and talent drop-off from the high 1st round CBs to the lower round CBs.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Nick the only player i would take for our secondary 1st round would be LaRon Landry, that is because he can help with run support. I would not be happy with a CB at 13.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say "happy", but at least "satisfied". Compare the linebackers with the other groups in our defense:

Linebackers: Will, Pisa, and Brandon are all young and fairly talented. Draft gives us a solid veteran backup or a potential starter.

Defensive Tackles: Glover has not looked that great and is at the tail end of his career. Fisk retired. Kennedy might be best served going back to playing three technique if it weren't for the fact that we have no other nose tackle on the roster. Wroten is the only young player who seems to have a lot of upside on this unit.

Defensive End: Little is a former Pro Bowl end who excels at pass rushing but has never been that great in run defense. Hall is a former Pro Bowl end who hasn't been able to reproduce those kind of stats in recent years. Adeyanju managed one sack in nine starts before breaking his arm, and Green is a depth player.

Cornerbacks: Hill looks like a promising, speedy young corner. Brown seemed to play pretty well, but he may not be the long-term answer. Bartell looks good in the slot. Butler doesn't seem to have any interest in showing the coaching staff he deserves to be higher on the depth chart.

Safeties: Atogwe showed improvement. Chavous showed his age. We've got some depth behind them with Carter and Bartell.

There's room for improvement across the board, but out of all the units in the defense, the linebackers seem to be in the best shape.

rams 24/7 is offline Registered User

listen ram fans if we get kris jenkins that will take the pressure off of drafting a DT then we can get a first round LB than we trade brandon chillar and perhaps sign Al wilson who is a more aggressive LB and put witherspoon at outside LB

RamsNation Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Nick the only player i would take for our secondary 1st round would be LaRon Landry, that is because he can help with run support. I would not be happy with a CB at 13.
    Thank you Rambos, IMO,there is not a corner in this draft worth 13th pick.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    i would love to see damien hughes in a rams uni next season... can someone say the next devin hester
    How did you arrive at that comparison? Daymeion Hughes has two career kickoff return attempts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I'm not sure I'd be "happy" either, but I'd be a lot more accepting of a corner than I would a wide receiver. Plus, it would be nice to have two young talented guys that we could count on at the position for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by rams 24/7 View Post
    listen ram fans if we get kris jenkins that will take the pressure off of drafting a DT then we can get a first round LB than we trade brandon chillar and perhaps sign Al wilson who is a more aggressive LB and put witherspoon at outside LB
    We not only draft Willis but sign Al Wislon too? So we'd have five starting-caliber linebackers (including Draft), only three of them would start, and one of them would be a two-down player who comes off the field in passing situations.

Pretty big waste of money, IMO.

rams 24/7 is offline Registered User

NICK I like your style let's get over pacted with good experience and talent, the baltimore ****** do it all the time, they have pro bowlers starting over probowlers on DEFENSE
    Last edited by RamWraith; -04-15-2007 at 08:35 AM.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

The only percievable way I'd be happy with a round 1 CB is if all our DL prospects are off the board, and Landry and Willis are gone too.

In short, If Aanderson, Branch, Okoye, Willis, Landry, Carriker and Adams are all gone (Which, sadly, is a legitimate possibility) I'm all for a Darelle Revis or a Leon Hall.

And I don't care which one. Hall has more of a 'pedigree' IMO, but Revis is the better KR, possibly satisfying another area of need.

z.nrd Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post

In short, If Aanderson, Branch, Okoye, Willis, Landry, Carriker and Adams are all gone (Which, sadly, is a legitimate possibility) I'm all for a Darelle Revis or a Leon Hall.

That's the thing right there.

A solid, fast corner combo is worth the 13th pick.

IF other possibilities have been exhausted first.

The alternative is to trade down, in which case, they can start looking at other DTs (Harrell), other DEs (Spencer) and possibly other Safeties (Merriweather). Receiver is a possibility too if they trade down (Bowe).

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by z.nrd View Post
    The alternative is to trade down, in which case, they can start looking at other DTs (Harrell), other DEs (Spencer) and possibly other Safeties (Merriweather). Receiver is a possibility too if they trade down (Bowe).
    That's the other thing right there. I'm not sure how for it I am, up trading (Up OR Down) Is always a possibility. Look at the Hill situation from last year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast