Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

Re: Are you really happy with our middle 3?

Nick,,

So the Rams should decide who plays and who sits base on how much money they make?

I could be wrong but I remember when the Haslett and the Aints played their best is when they had 3 dominating Linebackers......

I understand that you have to pay attention to the cap and your talent but once you select a player you should not start them base only on how much money they make.

WHY DOES EVERYONE THINK IMPROVING THE RUNNING GAME WILL BE A QUICK FIX..............

Can we Blame all the poor tackling and lack of run stop on 1 player on the team. I would not count on that...

The D needs alot of help and the middle is just 1 piece of the puzzle.

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

Unhappy Re: Are you really happy with our middle 3?

It makes me sick to think that we could potentially pass on Patrick Willis. He's going to be a perennial pro-bowler for years to come...

Whatever's best for the team I guess.:\

harrydog is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by z.nrd View Post

IF other possibilities have been exhausted first.

The alternative is to trade down, in which case, they can start looking at other DTs (Harrell), other DEs (Spencer) and possibly other Safeties (Merriweather). Receiver is a possibility too if they trade down (Bowe).
    I'm against trading down, but if Anderson, Adams, Branch, Carriker, Okoye, Landry and Willis are all gone by 13, I'd prefer trading down and like you say, Harrell or Spencer would be two of my first choices.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHORNS View Post
    So the Rams should decide who plays and who sits base on how much money they make?
    The Rams should consider the money they've already invested in a position and also consider how much time that player is going to see on the field before they spend a first round pick on him.

Our three starting linebackers are going to be on the field in the base 4-3 package, but when teams spread the field on us, at least one of them will be replaced with a defensive back. So it wouldn't make sense to draft a two-down linebacker in the first round; you can find guys to compete with Brandon Chillar in the second and third round at a lesser cost.

Would it be great to have superstars at every position? Sure. But I don't see much financial sense in sitting either Pisa ($25 million), Witherspoon ($33 million), or Willis (~$15-18 million) when we move to the nickel package, nor is it necessary to spend a first round pick on the position if you want to get a superstar. Let's remember our rivals in Seattle and Arizona both found stud linebackers in round two (Tatupu in Seattle, Dansby in Arizona).

But hey, if the Rams are willing to spend that kind of money on a guy (be it Pisa, 'Spoon, or Willis) they'll be pulling off the field in certain packages and don't have a problem with that expense, they could go that way. But I suspect they think more highly of Chillar than fans do, and they seem pretty firm in keeping Witherspoon in the middle. Unless that's an elaborate smokescreen, I don't think they view this part of the defense as an area that needs significant improvement. It's probably a moot point anyway, because I don't envision Willis being available.
    Last edited by Nick; -04-15-2007 at 01:52 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12