Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: And you thought Alshon Jeffery had a weight issue!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

And you thought Alshon Jeffery had a weight issue!

Baylor 'triplets': Smoke and mirrors?
    Posted April 19, 2012 @ 2:53 p.m. ET
    By Nolan Nawrocki

Baylor WR Kendall Wright entered the season graded as a consensus third-round pick in the NFL scouting community and RB Terrance Ganaway was barely a blip on the radar. After Robert Griffin III led the Bears to a sensational season that brought the school's first Heisman Trophy to Waco, some of the magic dust sprinkled onto Wright and Ganaway, who also produced career numbers.

Wright began warranting first-round grades from evaluators late in the season, and Ganaway moved as high as the third round in the eyes of some evaluators. Postseason workouts had a sobering effect on both prospects.

The way we hear it, the hype machine has come full circle with Wright, as he remains parked in the third round on a number of draft boards, in large part because of his work ethic and approach.

“Randall Cobb was a lot better,” said one of the league’s best evaluators. “Wright is nowhere near as good with the ball in his hands and (Cobb) lasted 'til the back of the second (round). People are getting snookered — I did the first time I watched (Wright), seeing all the long TDs on the perimeter. Go back and watch how many tackles he really eludes and runs away from and tell me how many you find.”

More concerning to teams than the tape was how few bench-press reps Wright performed at his pro day, after electing not to participate in the bench-press test at the NFL Scouting Combine. He registered a mere four reps, which would have stood as the worst of the Combine, three fewer than Virginia CB Chase Minnifield.

Even more worrisome than his lack of strength was his 16 percent body fat, one of the highest percentages for a receiver in the past decade and indicative of a lack of discipline. The average Bod Pod test for a receiver is in the single digits. Purdue’s Keith Smith recorded the highest mark among receivers a year ago at 14.1 percent and stood 214 pounds. Smaller receivers like Wright, who measured 5-10 1/4, 197 pounds at Baylor's pro day in late March, are expected to be more sleek.

Ganaway is graded as a consensus fifth-round pick, although some teams remain higher on him, and most would prefer to get him in the sixth.

“Ganaway destroyed the bowl game,” a personnel director said, “but he did not get touched on any runs. I don’t like one-year producers.”

Griffin is locked into the second overall spot and warranted top-five grades from the evaluation community. However, he, too, has his detractors.

"His hands are small, he had the most fumbles of any of the quarterbacks in this year's draft, and he's also the Big 12 quarterback that has to go play in the cold," one savvy evaluator said. "But I'm the only one in our building that has a lot of concerns."

Said another veteran executive, "He's worth a first-round pick and probably top-10, but I don’t know if he is a great game-breaker yet, and I don't like the way he runs. He is a long-striding track guy who takes four steps to get going. He does not have great initial quick-running ability. And in my opinion, he holds the ball too long. But he can definitely throw it and lay it in. … I did not grade him as high as Donovan (McNabb) when he was coming out."

Nonetheless, Griffin will get the opportunity to prove that he can be better than McNabb in Washington. His Baylor mates might not be as fortunate on Draft Day.
    Anything this close to the draft has to be taken with a colossal grain of salt, but I had to admit I did a second take at the body fat % when I read the article.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

Re: And you thought Alshon Jeffery had a weight issue!

I've been saying for a while I dont like this guy... 16% body fat is insane considering half the NFL is around 5-8%.

THE DREAM TEAM

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I think I may have my first downgrade from my "Final" Draft Board. That is just unacceptable.

ManofGod is online now Registered User

Man this is worse that politics, we are now going over a guys body fat percentage with a fine tooth comb....wow.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    Man this is worse that politics, we are now going over a guys body fat percentage with a fine tooth comb....wow.
    In a sport where people are expected to perform rigorous physical activity at near superhuman level, at a position where speed and strength is important, and fat has a tendency to slow you down. Yep, it's ridiculous that teams wouldn't want a WR with a weight problem. It may not be a weight problem for a normal person, but a normal person doesn't play WR in the NFL. Those are some of the best athletes in the world, it is going to be awful hard to compete if he doesn't keep up with them.

richtree is offline Registered User

I have been saying that he looks weak....

He is a.third /forth round pick bit has round 1/2 talent.....I think he will got too high and Jenkins...Jones....and hill are all much better players....

RGIII made this guy and if Texans and Ravens pass he could fall out of top 50

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

I don't even understand why Wright is considered better than T.Y Hilton... I like Hilton a lot more.

THE DREAM TEAM

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

It's funny that at one point some scouts were putting him as the best WR in the draft.

4 reps and 16% bodyfat. seriously now, thats just pathetic for a player trying to bust into the NFL. If my job was to get the basic passing grade in college, all the while playing football knowing your going to get drafted, id spend a little more time in the weight room and eating mcdonalds a little less.

Look at this story here(sorry that its a link, delete if you have to)
    Accountant To Play Football For Miami Dolphins | ThePostGame

He didnt play college football or anything. but in 3 months got in better shape the Wright.

This is a huge red flag for Wright. I wouldnt draft him in the 1st round and i'd easily take Jeffery over him in the 2nd.
    THOLTFAN81 and ZiaRam like this.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    No way, dude. You comb those fat rolls with a dirt rake. You know what they say: never judge a book by its cover unless it's too wide to pick up with one hand.

md8
    md8 is offline Registered User

A short, skinny, weak WR, without elite speed? Sounds a lot like Gilyard to me.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

OREOS, milks favorite cookie!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

There are certain positions (OG, DT) where you can accept a minor conditioning issue.

A WR, however, should be in peak condition at all times. There is no excuse for Alshon Jeffery showing up for his final year of college ball with a beer gut, or Wright having such a high % of body fat.

Remember, the greatest WR of all time (Jerry Rice) was the best because he worked at it. Guys who just try to get by on their inherent skills should be considered big red flags.
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    There are certain positions (OG, DT) where you can accept a minor conditioning issue.

A WR, however, should be in peak condition at all times. There is no excuse for Alshon Jeffery showing up for his final year of college ball with a beer gut, or Wright having such a high % of body fat.

Remember, the greatest WR of all time (Jerry Rice) was the best because he worked at it. Guys who just try to get by on their inherent skills should be considered big red flags.
    Especially when they haven't exactly been tearing it up year in and year out with their inherent skills in a conference with mediocre defenses.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by md8 View Post
    A short, skinny, weak WR, without elite speed? Sounds a lot like Gilyard to me.
    I loved Wright when I watched him play but since the combine this is where I keep returning. How is he different than Gilyard?

I agree 200% with the training issue. If you have every incentive in the world to be in perfect shape and come up horribly short, what's going to happen when someone hands you $4 million?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    If you have every incentive in the world to be in perfect shape and come up horribly short, what's going to happen when someone hands you $4 million?
    Great point. It's the same thing I wonder about the prospects who fail their Combine drug tests.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast