Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: Young calls Wonderlic reports 'disrespectful'

Thats true. But we have all seen what Vince Young can do. He may have done bad on that but when he gets into a game he is inVINCEable. And he is also a great leader. I mean look at the National Championship he put the team on his shoulders and went from there. Its hard to find someone like that.

RamsFan16

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I agree, Young has a number of great qualities, which combined help make him a top pick in this draft. Though there are questions about how complicated the Texas offense was, and combined with his Wonderlic score, further emphasize concerns about how well he'll be able to learn and execute a pro style offense. I still think Young could go as high as Tennessee, but I could also see him slipping to the Cardinals. I don't think he pulls an Aaron Rodgers though.

Look at Vick though. The VT offense I don't think was any harder than Texas's O. And all Vick does is run. Young can run and pass with good qualities. I mean I know I shouldn't compare them but I think they should just let Young do his thing.
    RamsFan16

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Well, if the test really did have little or no legitimacy in evaluating football savy, then I doubt the NFL would continue to administer it. But that's just my opinion.
    Well, just because they continue to administer it certainly doesn't mean it yields legitimate results.

The fact that Marino got a 14 shouldn't tell you anything really, because I don't think you can look at one successful guy who didn't do well and use him as an example as to why not to be concerned when someone else doesn't do well. I can point to a number of guys who have scored high and have done well, and also point to a number of guys who have scored high and stunk.

There's a lot of variation among the test, as there are many tests from the combine. The best receivers aren't always the fastest or the tallest, and the best QBs don't always have the strongest arms or best accuracy.

Yeah, Dan Marino scored in the teens. While I know this isn't what you're saying, that doesn't mean other players who score in the teens or worse are going to be Dan Marino. Nor does it mean the test has no merit. There aren't clubs out there that swing their entire opinion on a guy due to his Wonderlic score, but it's not a non-factor in evaluation.
    You just gave a litany of reasons why I think the wonderlic test is pretty much useless in evaluating potential NFL talent. The results are inconclusive, have no rhyme or reason and are completely arbitrary and open to any number of interpretations.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    Look at Vick though. The VT offense I don't think was any harder than Texas's O. And all Vick does is run. Young can run and pass with good qualities. I mean I know I shouldn't compare them but I think they should just let Young do his thing.
    And where has Vick gotten Atlanta? They were competing for an NFC championship last year, but not simply because of him. They'd actually be a contender if Vick knew how to read defenses and pass accurately to the correct receivers.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    You just gave a litany of reasons why I think the wonderlic test is pretty much useless in evaluating potential NFL talent. The results are inconclusive, have no rhyme or reason and are completely arbitrary and open to any number of interpretations.
    So why do we even have a combine then? Because the Wonderlic test is far from the only exam that's inconclusive about a player's potential as a pro. Just because a guy runs a 4.3 in shorts doesn't mean he's going to succeed. A prospect who has a vertical jump of 41" is unlikely to be making still vertical jumps in the pros either. Where's the outcry over these assessments?

Rather, it's the total package of all these things - including the Wonderlic - that gives scouts a complete picture of a player. I don't think you can sit here and argue against the validity of one without then having to question the entire process, nor is it possible to pull out one test to question when it's the entire package that is considered by teams and scouts.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

So why do we even have a combine then? Because the Wonderlic test is far from the only exam that's inconclusive about a player's potential as a pro. Just because a guy runs a 4.3 in shorts doesn't mean he's going to succeed. A prospect who has a vertical jump of 41" is unlikely to be making still vertical jumps in the pros either. Where's the outcry over these assessments?

Rather, it's the total package of all these things - including the Wonderlic - that gives scouts a complete picture of a player. I don't think you can sit here and argue against the validity of one without then having to question the entire process, nor is it possible to pull out one test to question when it's the entire package that is considered by teams and scouts.
    I agree with you that the combine is a total package of assessments that help in player evaluations. I do not agree that the wonderlic is a necessary part of that package. To me, it's just too arbitrary, with no consistency or reliable way to accurately guage the results. Physical tests are infinitely more tangible. Speed is speed, strength is strength, agility is agility. Those things are easy to assess and apply to what you are looking for in a player. The mind is much too complex to get a fix on with a simple IQ test.

How do you measure heart, poise, dedication, drive, instinct, confidence, presence, attitude or stability by the wonderlic test? The intangibles that make an athlete great are proven on the field, not a piece of paper.
    Last edited by r8rh8rmike; -03-05-2006 at 01:51 AM.

And where has Vick gotten Atlanta? They were competing for an NFC championship last year, but not simply because of him. They'd actually be a contender if Vick knew how to read defenses and pass accurately to the correct receivers.
    Thats true. But honestly don't tell Falcon fans that because they flip out!
    RamsFan16

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12