Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Fortuninerhater
  • 1 Post By FestusRam

Thread: Your dream(realistic) 1st round scenario....

kman is offline Registered User

Your dream(realistic) 1st round scenario....

I would love to get Sammy Watkins and one of those 2 tackles(Robinson or Mathews). The only way I can see that happening is if we traded with Cleveland and got 4 and6(or might be 8, not sure). For that trade to happen is giving them the 2 and13 too much? could be, so we'd have swap 2nd rounders or something like that.. If clevleand is enamored with Johnny manziel its a possibility...

Rawr is offline Registered User

Re: Your dream(realistic) 1st round scenario....

Houston takes a QB. Atlanta trades up to get Clowney. We still get Robinson (or Matthews) at 6. Evans at 13. Repackage the extra picks Atlanta sent and grab Justin Gilbert.

kman is offline Registered User

nice...I can certainly live with that scenario too!

Mikey is offline Registered User

Trading down with Atlanta picking up a 3rd this year and 1st next(or a 2nd each year) picking Matthews. Thirteen I'm torn between Dix, Joyner and Dennard.

Sauceman is offline Registered User

Trade out of 2 with ATL or CLE and end up with Robinson or Matthews (prefer Robinson, gut is Matthews is the Rams guy). Grab Mike Evans at 13.

I'm happy.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Trade down from two with Minnesota. Pry Harrison Smith and a second rounder. Draft Lewan at 8. Evans at 13. Use our 2 seconds to trade back up into the 1st round and draft Aaron Donald.
    turbofargo likes this.

a.p.quinn is offline Registered User

Clowney or Mack would be awesome. But, some combo of Greg Robinson or Taylor Lewan (if we trade #2 down within the top-10) and either Calvin Pryor, Aaron Donald or Jarvis Landry (if we trade #13 down into the 20's) would be great for this team.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

For me, a dream scenario would have to involve a trade with Cleveland, as that would probably result in the Rams getting the same player they would have taken at #2, while obtaining additional picks. I don't think that Cleveland will offer the #26 pick in Round 1, so I think the "fair market price" would be a 2nd and 3rd round pick. I would be fine if the 3rd round pick is a 2015 selection.

So, with a trade of that type, the Rams could (by way of example) end up with Matthews/Robinsion at pick No. 4, and Evans/Gilbert/Dennard at pick No. 13.

RealRam is offline Registered User

With all the Round 1 scenarios playing in (and there are many posts about them), I'm wondering ... as in a poll-type of question at this point:

What do you think is more likely that the Rams will do...

a) Stay put with their assigned #2 and #13 picks? ---

b) Trade somehow with someone for somebody? -----

Material possibly related follows:

NFL Draft Math
    By Mr. Honner / Math Appreciation
    26 April 2011, 8:34 am

There’s a lot of mathematics going on in the NFL Draft. Here’s one example.

In the National Football League’s player draft, every franchise is allotted one pick per round to select draft-eligible players for their team. The initial draft order is determined by the prior year’s standings, with the last year’s worst team (by record) picking first each round.

The opportunity to select a player is a valuable asset, and picks are often traded among teams before, or during, the draft. Teams might look to trade up to obtain an earlier pick (in order to select a coveted player), or trade down to get extra picks in the later rounds (turning one high pick into two or more low picks).

An interesting mathematical question is “What is Draft Choice N worth?” It’s easy to say that the first overall pick is worth “a lot”, and the second pick overall is worth “slightly less”, but how can position in the draft really be quantified?

It turns out that football analysts have created a trade value chart that essentially standardizes the value of picks . For example, a team holding the 7th overall pick, valued at 1,500 points, might expect to receive the 21st pick (800 points) and the 26th pick (700 points) in return, were they to trade their pick. This conventional valuation helps establish fair prices for trades, as it would in any commodities market.

So what are the picks worth? I pulled the numbers from the trade value chart and created this graph.

The drop-off in value is steep: for example, the 1st overall pick is considered twice as valuable as the 7th overall pick; the 7th pick is twice as valuable as the 23rd pick, which is twice as valuable as the 52nd pick. There is no simple formula, but the graph above definitely suggests exponential decay:

It’s important to understand that this is merely a practical guide to draft position valuation. The real value of a draft choice depends not just on position, but on many other factors as well: the overall quality of available players, the needs of your team, the needs of your competitors, and contract issues, to name a few.

If you could figure out a more meaningful, or accurate, way to quantify these picks, you could probably help an NFL franchise get a leg up on the competition!
    ==============================================

A Benjamin dollar bill for each of these men's 2014 NFL Draft thoughts!

- -
    Last edited by RealRam; -02-25-2014 at 10:19 PM. Reason: GM, HC

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Trade down 2 to 4. Acquire Browns #4 and #26 pick

#4 Sammy Watkins
    #13 Taylor Lewan
    #26 Calvin Pryor

This is my absolute dream scenario first round.

I know it's not likely that Lewan drops to 13, and/or Pryor drops to 26, but it's possible.

I think it is a very real possibility that Cleveland parts with both first rounders.
    Last edited by FestusRam; -02-25-2014 at 10:20 PM.
    RealRam likes this.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

I went with the realistic, but unlikely, scenario where the Rams trade down with Cleveland for the #4 pick and their 2nd rounder this year (with a future 2nd rounder also in the mix). The Rams would then select Clowney at #4 (after the top 3 picks are QB's) followed by Clinton-Dix at #13. These two picks give the Rams the players to maybe be a top-5 defense next year. The Rams could then try to package some picks to move back into the 1st round to select an OT (Antonio Richardson, Zach Martin) or stand pat and select the best O-Lineman in the 2nd round (someone like Morgan Moses).

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    For me, a dream scenario would have to involve a trade with Cleveland, as that would probably result in the Rams getting the same player they would have taken at #2, while obtaining additional picks. I don't think that Cleveland will offer the #26 pick in Round 1, so I think the "fair market price" would be a 2nd and 3rd round pick. I would be fine if the 3rd round pick is a 2015 selection.

So, with a trade of that type, the Rams could (by way of example) end up with Matthews/Robinsion at pick No. 4, and Evans/Gilbert/Dennard at pick No. 13.
    Do you think Cleveland might give the 24 if we threw in our 2nd as well? From our pt it would be taking a 2nd round and moving it high in 1st round, or not a good idea?

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I would really love to get a top tier free safety at #13. I think that could push our defense into being dominant.
    I also think we have holes along the OL to the point where taking an OT at #2 would be a really good idea.

But I can't pass up the idea of having Sammy Watkins and Tavon Austin on the field at the same time.

I think my draft desires will be determined by free agency. If we get a top safety, then I'd be happy leaving the first round safeties alone and going Watkins/best OL available at #13