Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By RockinRam
  • 1 Post By berg8309
  • 1 Post By CanadianRamsFan

Thread: Your the GM what would you do? In this scenario?

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Your the GM what would you do? In this scenario?

For the sake of flushing out the second tier receivers, let's assume that the Rams draft Claiborne or T. Richardson at the top of round 1. Either Blackmon was drafted ahead of them or they passed and Jax took him...whatever. For the purposes of this hypo, he's gone, and so is Floyd.

The rest of the first round went about as expected...day 1 is over....teams are going back to their boards and exploring everything....the Rams did NOT sign a quality receiver in free agency... no Manningham, no Doucet, no free agent WR at all. Amendola does not sign an offer sheet. ALL of the remaining receivers are still available. The rams are on the clock and control pick #33 (and #39).

Assume that there are several good players at multiple positions....and the Rams have decided that they are definitely drafting a WR with one of their 2 picks.

Let's have your plan....and your reasoning. Be prepared to back it up when the GM and head coach ask you the tough questions.

(I acknowledge that the scenario is naturally more complex with trade options, not knowing the other players still available, etc....but just play along. The main point is to flush out receiver scenarios at the top of round 2).

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Re: Your the GM what would you do? In this scenario?

I would take Stephen Hill in Round 2 and either Tommy Streeter or Juron Criner in Round 3.

Ask away.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Thanks RockinRam.

I like the guys you picked.
    The second round I'd go Stephen Hill and Rueben Randle.
    The third round I like Marvin McNutt, Tommy Streeter and Juron Criner.
    The forth round A.J. Jenkins, Marvin Jones, and Nick Toon.
    The sixth round DaVier Posey, Creg Childs, and Chris Owusu.
    The seventh round Derek Moye.

The Rams need some tall fast guys at WR they Drafted slower guys that suposedily had great hands last year. That didn't help much.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

To go back to my first post, I would be happy with Stephen Hill OR Mohammed Sanu.

Sanu is a legitimate beast, but many don't know that because they see his poor combine 40 (4.67) and think he sucks.

On tape, he is actually really fast and just outruns people.

In the third, McNutt, Streeter and Criner are all good choices. You can't go wrong with any of them. McNutt is flying under the radar, but he has some solid tools.

In the fourth, I like Marvin Jones out of Cal.

In the sixth, I don't know if Posey will be there but if he does I would grab him there.
    #39 Fan likes this.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Not enough information by saying that the first round "went as expected."

Obviously, yes, we need weapons for Sam. We need to target a split end and flanker WR and if we don't get one in free agency, then we may very well need two. Does Clayton still have the ability to play? Are we going to play Salas in the slot or can he go outside?

Now, as for where you're going, what WR's do I like? I like Hill's potential... as he's in that same mold as Megatron and Demaryius Thomas. But it's not like Thomas has really busted out. Tebowmania didn't help that, and with Peyton now in his third year he very well could bust out, but all Hill has is potential.

Randle is the same way. Very athletic and probably could have been a first rounder if he was in a more passing friendly offense.

Wright did not look good at the combine, but I have to think that he's better than that. If he falls, he'd be interesting as a flanker prospect. We just need a big body kind of guy on the other side to grab the critical third downs and TD's.

I hate Streeter. He's got athleticism, but he does not have football IQ, and even Irvin and Miami's coach talked about that during the combine coverage. He's going to be a bust.
    I believe!

CanadianRamsFan is offline Registered User

Trade the pick to the Steelers for Wallace

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I like Stephen Hill in the second round, solely based on his combine performance.

He possesses two things you cannot teach, size and speed. Showed an ability to make catches with his hands. And for some reason (oh, I don't know.....maybe because it's their job), I believe our coaches can teach him how to run routes, should that be a problem for him initially.

If we can somehow pair him with either Blackmon or Wallace, the rest of the draft would almost not matter to me.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Ok, seriously... stop with the Wallace talk. The Steelers will not sign him and trade him. At this point, we cannot sign him to an offer sheet because we gave up our pick in the first round, as the compensation has to be the same or greater than your original pick in that round. Further, Wallace will never sign with the Steelers, because some team down in the 20's or 30's is going to sign him to an offer that the Steelers cannot match.

Just be glad that the Whiners haven't done that yet.
    I believe!

richtree is offline Registered User

I am 90% sure Stephen Hill is now a Round 1 pick and will not last....I think we will try to grab 2 guys in this draft.....

When Fisher coached the Titans, I don't remember too many short burners playing for him, but the rules have changed....

I think round 2 targets for the Rams would be Sanu and Randle because they fit our system.....

Then we will try to pair that WR with a guy like Marvin Jones, or Chris Givens.,...I think they are fast and tall enough to fit Fishers system.....

obvisously, I am guessing now....my WR list is updated and will be out soon....

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Ok, seriously... stop with the Wallace talk. The Steelers will not sign him and trade him. At this point, we cannot sign him to an offer sheet because we gave up our pick in the first round, as the compensation has to be the same or greater than your original pick in that round. Further, Wallace will never sign with the Steelers, because some team down in the 20's or 30's is going to sign him to an offer that the Steelers cannot match.

Don't spoil my fun, I was going to say IF Wallace is still available, I'd call the Steelers to see what they'd want for him. Even with all the holes to fill, I'd probably deal both 2nd rounders (Although I'd prefer a 2nd and a 3rd or 4th) for him, considering we need talent at WR badly, and he has a lot to spare.

However if I couldn't swing a trade for a good WR, I'd take the #1 player on our board that wasn't a QB.
    CanadianRamsFan likes this.

CanadianRamsFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post

Wallace is a really good WR, Wallace would look great in horns, Wallace can walk on water, I once heard that Wallace ran into a burning building to save a random family dog, He stopped a Bank robbery where the criminal shot at him he then effortlessly caught the bullet and threw it back and the robbers foot incapacitating him but not kill him.

Wallace is a true hero, why do you hate him?
    berg8309 likes this.