throwback week

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Your (realistic) Dream Starting WRs For 2011

Here are the rules to this game:

1. List two AND ONLY TWO names.
    2. They must be realistic. For example, A.J. Green and Julio Jones is NOT realistic, as the Rams would likely need two first round picks, one in the top 10 and the other in the top 20, to get both. Likewise, a pair that consists of two #1 WR FAs is likewise unrealistic.

Mine:

Sidney Rice and Julio Jones

Rice: Assuming that there are no long term effects from his hip injury, I think he brings the right combination of size (6'4, 205), age (25 at the start of next season) and production (1,300+ yards in 2009). Gotta believe he'll be ready to jump ship in Minnesota after this turmoil filled year.

Jones: I'd rather have A.J. Green, of course, but that would mean the Rams fell back into the top 10 picks, or gave away valuable picks to trade up for him. I think Jones can be a #1 WR, and has untapped potential that is not fully on display in Alabama's run oriented offense.

Who are your two?

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Re: Your (realistic) Dream Starting WRs For 2011

Realistic with this Front Office (and I don't say that as an insult) is to resign Clayton and draft Julio Jones.

I would be cool with this especially if that leaves us with Amendola, Avery, Alexander and Gilyard to round out the group.

codeman123 is offline Registered User

Sidney Rice is definitely the best wide receiver from the free agent route. I just don't know whether or not he is restricted. I would give up two seconds like the dolphins did for Marshall if he isn't unrestricted. I think Rice is just what we need.
    In my opinion AJ Green is the best WR prospect since Megatron, and we have no chance to get him. I don't like Julio's hands, or Baldwin's route running, but both are probably first round guys to look for. I like Broyles and he might be a second/third round pick.

Next year would be nice with:

Rice
    Clayton (have to resign him as a possession receiver because of his chemistry with Sam)
    Avery (I thought Avery was going to have a breakout year this year like Long, he got thrust into the number one role in his second year and it took him a while to adjust)
    Broyles (really good hands and YAC, perfect for west coast system)
    Amendola in the slot
    Either Danario, Gibson, or Gilyard. Good battle for the last spot.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Vincent Jackson and Mark Clayton starting on the outside to answer your question AV.

Donnie Avery and Danny Amendola as the "slot" guys.

With Danario Alexander and Mardy Gilyard as subs.

Imagine what Sam can do with wideouts like these! I thought about throwing Julio Jones in there, but a) I don't think he will last till the 32nd pick , and b) I think if we get healthy our receiving corp will be crowded as is.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    Realistic with this Front Office
    You really can't say that any more given that Kroenke is now the majority owner. We don't know what his spending habits will be like.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

I for one would just be happy to have Avery and Clayton healthy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by makersncoke View Post
    I for one would just be happy to have Avery and Clayton healthy.
    I'll ditto that. Add in Amendola to the slot, and I'm okay.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    You really can't say that any more given that Kroenke is now the majority owner. We don't know what his spending habits will be like.
    You are correct that was a poor choice of words on my part. I was thinking DeVaney and Spags and just went with Front Office.

I don't have any reason to believe Kroenke won't be willing to spend a lot of money but I am also in the minority in thinking that money wasn't a big issue in the Rams decision making process during the sale period.

In the end I guess I believe that they will resign Clayton and Amendola and keep Avery, Alexander and Gilyard.

If this is the case I think they will either sign a free agent like Rice or draft a 1st round wide receiver like Juilo but not both.

But... I sometimes get things 110% wrong.

Bing69 is offline Registered User

Realistically we could maybe be able to get Green, if we dont win many more games.

I would love a Green, Clayton, Avery, Amendola, Gilyard, Alexander and Gibson line up. 7 receivers is a lot, but you never know when the injury bug will strike!

If Green is gone, just replace him with Jones, it would still be a strong receiver corps.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I think semi-realistically, we could get:

A.J Green, and then Sidney Rice/Malcolm Floyd

Realistically, we could get:

Michael Floyd, Sidney Rice/Malcolm Floyd

For some reason, I just can't find myself to like Julio Jones that much. He reminds me much more of a converted running back than a natural receiver.

Floyd however, possesses the natural ball-body coordination and natural catching skills much like A.J Green. I think Michael Floyd will be the most underrated of the Top 4 WRs, but I believe he will be great in the NFL.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

#1 Clayton
    #2 Avery
    #3 Amendola
    Rookie Pickup: Julio Jones
    Assuming we stay healthy I dont think a rookie wr gets plugged in at the starting lineup. Make no mistake, he will get a lot of reps and catches but a rooking WR still needs time to work and grow in the role. That said, I like the idea of CLayton and Avery stretching the field with Amendola and "uh oh" going over the middle.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
    #1 Clayton
    #2 Avery
    #3 Amendola
    Rookie Pickup: Julio Jones
    Assuming we stay healthy I dont think a rookie wr gets plugged in at the starting lineup. Make no mistake, he will get a lot of reps and catches but a rooking WR still needs time to work and grow in the role. That said, I like the idea of CLayton and Avery stretching the field with Amendola and "uh oh" going over the middle.

I like that line-up, but if we do in fact get Julio Jones, I think we could plug him in as the #2 WR, because he comes from a system kind of similar to ours in which the offense relies on a power run game first.

With Clayton as #1, the big, aggressive run after the catch Julio Jones at #2, it would make Avery the slot WR. I think Avery would wreck havoc in the slot. Then Amendola could move into the #4 spot, making him able to sneak around the field.

Judaxi is offline Registered User

I personally would like a VJax, Julio jones, Amendola, Avery, Gilyard, Gibson.

rams_man13 Guest

I want to add one person... V-Jax and re-sign Clayton. If we can get V-Jax, we can focus elsewhere with picks.

V-Jax, Clayton and Amendola in the slot with Avery (deep threat) and Gibson.

Gilyard, I'm just not sure where he fits on this team. He's done a poor job as a rookie but it's to early to give up on him. It's also unlikely that the Rams would carry 6 WR's even though Gilyard plays ST's. Tough call. I wouldn't want to part with any of the above to keep giving Gilyard options.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I only have one prayer for the off season, go for Sidney Rice. The guys a beast! I hope that injury really has no affect on his game. Last year he just tore it up and I feel that he is a real #1. Hes 6'4, extraordinarily fast and can drag a lot of defenders his way.

I would love a WR corps that consists of Rice, Clayton, Avery, Amendola, Gibson, Gilyard.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast