throwback week

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

5 Innovations I Just Don't Get

As I approach the end of my fourth decade on this planet, I marvel at the many innovations that make daily life easier, more productive, more informative and more entertaining. That said, there are a few things that the youngsters spend their time and money on that I simply do not get:

1. Ringtones
    I know, I know. Its uber-cool to have your phone play the theme from Aqua Teen Hunger Force when it rings, but is that really worth the $10 you spent to download it? Come on, its just a noise to let you know someone is calling you.

2. Text Messaging
    What is the fascination of typing little messages on a 2 x 2 cm keyboard? Wouldn't it be easier just to call? Or, dare I say, just to wait until you see your friend the next day?

3. The MP3 Player as an exclusive music listening device
    The whole music downloading trend, planned or not, has played out like a drug dealer's strategy. First, everything was free. Then, people got hooked. Finally, the price was jacked up (as an aside, I still don't get how that Napster guy's not in jail). MP3 players are great. I have one myself. But I don't see how it replaces actually buying albums. Sure, you can download an entire album, but most don't. Most download song by song. In doing so, you miss out on the great non-single tracks. I just hope that the MP3 age doesn't kill the great B-sides.

4. The In-Car/Van/SUV DVD Player
    Though my kids would love one, my wife and I have resisted the temptation to buy a car with a DVD player. Kids should look out the window every once in a while. They might actually see something interesting. What's worse is the number of times I've seen someone driving alone with the DVD player on. What are they doing? Listening to a movie? Watching at red lights? Not watching the road at all?

5. In-Dash GPS Devices/On-Star
    Whatever happened to looking at a map? Or, dare I say, just knowing where you are going? The worst of these are the ones that talk. And what about On-Star? Isn't the notion of a faceless company having the ability to monitor every move you make, unlock your door remotely and dispatch the police, fire department or EMTs to your vehicle sound just a little too Big Brother-ish?

And so, before I drive off on a route that I, and only I know, while listening to a CD player, with my phone that rings with the tone it came with, let me leave you with this thought...

When invention becomes the mother of your necessity, you need a hobby.

Brain Daddy Guest

Re: 5 Innovations I Just Don't Get

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

1. Ringtones
    2. Text Messaging

The whole music downloading trend, planned or not, has played out like a drug dealer's strategy. First, everything was free. Then, people got hooked. Finally, the price was jacked up (as an aside, I still don't get how that Napster guy's not in jail). MP3 players are great. I have one myself. But I don't see how it replaces actually buying albums. Sure, you can download an entire album, but most don't. Most download song by song. In doing so, you miss out on the great non-single tracks. I just hope that the MP3 age doesn't kill the great B-sides.

1. Waste of money
    2. Waste of money

3. Ah, here's one on which I disagree. I think the mp3 player is a great thing and in no way replaces buying CDs. Esentially, the advantage provided by the mp3 player primary is an increased storage capacity. You buy a CD and rip it to .mp3 format and then load it on your MP3 player, rather than carrying around one of those CD books. As well, you don't have to worry about changing CDs every time you want to listen to something different.

4. Ugh, I agree. I think it's a sad statement when you have to have screen in front of you all the time. How bout looking out the window, reading, or talking? C'mon that's just sad. Not to mention the DVD player has the potential to be a serious distraction.

5. I agree about not wanting some faceless corporation to know my every move, but I wouldn't mind a GPS locator that you could turn on and off (ie not constantly have someone watching over you). It could be handy when you're out in the middle of nowhere and the locals don't bother putting up street signs. A map only helps you if you know where you are.

(as an aside, I still don't get how that Napster guy's not in jail).
    Are you talking about the guy who created it? Why?

Napster was originally created to allow free downloading of copyrighted materials - in other words, stealing.

AlphaRam Guest

When I saw the thread title, I just know that bathing/showering was going to be at the top of the list...

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

I have to disagree about the GPS system. I always get lost when I am in a new area. I have borrowed a GPS before and it kept me from driving around in circles and it got me pointed in the right direction. Somehow, I never mastered the art of reading a map, especially while I am driving.

Onstar, I have in the Saturn, and I used the built in phone instead of using a cell phone. I liked it better than a cell phone because it's hands free, voice activated, it can't get lost, and it mutes the radio when it rings. I used it for my free first year and let it expire once they started charging me the standard monthly charge. I never used any of the other features, but I was ok with being tracked. Our movements are being tracked in cars, in stores, on the internet. I accept that big brother is alive and watching.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AlphaRam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz View Post
    I have to disagree about the GPS system. I always get lost when I am in a new area. I have borrowed a GPS before and it kept me from driving around in circles and it got me pointed in the right direction. Somehow, I never mastered the art of reading a map, especially while I am driving.

Onstar, I have in the Saturn, and I used the built in phone instead of using a cell phone. I liked it better than a cell phone because it's hands free, voice activated, it can't get lost, and it mutes the radio when it rings. I used it for my free first year and let it expire once they started charging me the standard monthly charge. I never used any of the other features, but I was ok with being tracked. Our movements are being tracked in cars, in stores, on the internet. I accept that big brother is alive and watching.
    Based on what you said, if I take a vacation to Virginia, can I stalk you?

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRam View Post
    Based on what you said, if I take a vacation to Virginia, can I stalk you?
    That is not funny....you still have to find out my name and where I live before you can stalk me. Can you do that? Should I move or change my name?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

HTML Code:
    AvengerRam;158570]As I approach the end of my fourth decade on this planet, I marvel at the many innovations that make daily life easier, more productive, more informative and more entertaining.  That said, there are a few things that the youngsters spend their time and  money on that I simply do not get:
    HTML Code:
    [B]1.  Ringtones[/B]
    Standard ringtones are fine with me. As far as Cell phones in general though, remember when it wa sokay to call customers and family back at the end of th eday when one got home and waded throught the meassages on th eanswering machine? That and we got more work accomplished because we weren't interrupted by phone calls!

HTML Code:
    [B]2. Text Messaging[/B]
    cm? lessee... 1 cm is 10 mm which would be about 2.5 US standard inches...
    Imagine those who actually think they need to connect to the internet or watch movies on those things... mostly kids who haven't a clue what it means to EARN the money that it costs to download all that stuff...

HTML Code:
    [B]3. The MP3 Player as an exclusive music listening device[/B]
    Agreed.. a LOT of good music on an album..oops... CD is the stuff which never makes the airwaves.

HTML Code:
    [B]4. The In-Car/Van/SUV DVD Player[/B]
    Remember I-Spy and License plate Bingo?

HTML Code:
    [B]5. In-Dash GPS Devices/On-Star[/B]
    I will say that a GPS sure made it easier to find our way around England last May. Those bloody round-abouts were a cinch when one knew which exit they wanted befre going into them.

HTML Code:
    And so, before I drive off on a route that I, and only I know, while listening to a CD player, with my phone that rings with the tone it came with, let me leave you with this thought...
    There are other "older" folk who are just a crotchety as you!

HTML Code:
    When invention becomes the mother of your necessity, you need a hobby

RnD

GO RAMS!!
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

1 cm is 10 mm which would be about 2.5 US standard inches...
    I think you got that backwards, Chief. One inch is equal to 2.54 centimeters.

As for AV, congrats pal; you are one "walking uphill in the snow" story from officially being old.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Yeah, I'm thinking of taking a course called "Porch Rocking and Whittling 101."

Lesson 1: Listen and Repeat "Hey you little whipper-snappers, get off my lawn!"

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post

As for AV, congrats pal; you are one "walking uphill in the snow" story from officially being old.
    I think we've all heard that story more than once from our forgetful Fathers and Grandfathers.lmao

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I don't know about those ringtones...
    I make my own, upload them to my phone, and it costs me NADA.

How else could I have the "Ram-a-fana" ringtone? (ripped from the songs I found in the gallery).

Or the opening guitar riff from "China Grove"?

Or Mr. Hankey singing a festive tune?

Or Underdog telling me "There's no need to fear..."?

In my line of work, I hear about 50 or so cell phone ringtones each day. Other than our IT guy's ringtone (It's Raining Men...on a pink Razr), they all sound alike. I choose a ringtone that is different from any other, something that really grabs my attention, so I don't miss an important call.

Plus, it's fun to have a call come in while working in the mental health area and you have your ringtone set to "They're Coming to Take Me Away, ha ha...."

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    As I approach the end of my fourth decade on this planet, I marvel at the many innovations that make daily life easier, more productive, more informative and more entertaining. That said, there are a few things that the youngsters spend their time and money on that I simply do not get:

1. Ringtones
    I know, I know. Its uber-cool to have your phone play the theme from Aqua Teen Hunger Force when it rings, but is that really worth the $10 you spent to download it? Come on, its just a noise to let you know someone is calling you.

2. Text Messaging
    What is the fascination of typing little messages on a 2 x 2 cm keyboard? Wouldn't it be easier just to call? Or, dare I say, just to wait until you see your friend the next day?

Though my kids would love one, my wife and I have resisted the temptation to buy a car with a DVD player. Kids should look out the window every once in a while. They might actually see something interesting. What's worse is the number of times I've seen someone driving alone with the DVD player on. What are they doing? Listening to a movie? Watching at red lights? Not watching the road at all?

Whatever happened to looking at a map? Or, dare I say, just knowing where you are going? The worst of these are the ones that talk. And what about On-Star? Isn't the notion of a faceless company having the ability to monitor every move you make, unlock your door remotely and dispatch the police, fire department or EMTs to your vehicle sound just a little too Big Brother-ish?

When invention becomes the mother of your necessity, you need a hobby.

You're old...Old people don't understand

Haha, I agree with you about the DVD player in the car, it is mainly for the people in the back though...I hope? GPS is lovely when you don't know where you are. Ringtones are just something you may like to hear, a certain song play, because it describes what you like to listen to. Its not a big deal, but its a nifty thing you can do with your phone. Text messaging, believe it or not makes life a lot easier (sometimes). If you want to meet somewhere, or talk to someone during class...hehe, then its great. But trying to explain something to someone with a text is absurd. Its supposed to be for a quick little note you want to tell a friend. And I know myself, I hate starting to talk on the phone, you can stop talking with a text message and never be rude, its great! The MP3 thing...idk what to tell you. Sometimes if I can't find an album, I'll get it from itunes if they have it. It's nice that you don't have to go anywhere...either which way, my CDs go right onto the computer. I still use the CDs in the car though, but eventually MP3 players will be used in the car using your playlists and whatnot...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams