Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

For all you PS2/Xbox/PC Madden players...

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/243430.asp

ESPN NFL 2k5 is only $20!? I wrote off the game a couple years ago but for that cheap I might just give it a shot.

Meanwhile, the Madden Collector's Edition I probably won't. I doubt I even touch the special features they're giving you. 16-bit versions sound painful, not fun. I'll stick with the regular version, which i already pre-ordered.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: For all you PS2/Xbox/PC Madden players...

What are some of the new '05 Madden features?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Lemme see, this is what I can remember and what EA has on their site in some interviews:

-The Hit Stick, which according to EA "lets you lay the big hit to turn the momentum of the game in your favor." I think it just controls how hard or what type of tackle a player goes for. Riskier kind of tackle, but easier to force fumble or cause a drop with it.

-Defensive back coverage was completely redone. Man to man coverage got an overhaul. Shut down corners are now more important and forces offenses to rely on mismatches instead of money plays. I think you can also prior to the game or during the game set it up so that a corner on your team matches up with a specific receiver at all times, but I"m not sure on that.

-I know you can basically use the playmaker on defense to adjust individual defensive assignments. Like, say you call a play where the safeties are both blitzing and you'd rather one of them play a deep zone. You'd select the safety and playmaker the new route.

-Also, Madden has a new Storyline in Owner/Franchise mode where radio host Tony Bruno gives you news around the league. I know they've got Kiper on board for better draft presentation. You have newspaper articles during your Owner mode (local and national) and I think players have morale ratings now. The example EA's site gives is that if a rookie RB is pushing a vet for playing time but not getting it, his morale drops and it affects performance. You also get e-mails from staff and players about what's going on. If a player wants more playing time, you'll get an e-mail about it.

-Restricted free agents are included. Preseason position battles and player personalities ("Players react to everything that happens to them and if things get really bad for them, they demand a trade. If you're not throwing the ball to your star receiver, you'll hear about it."). EA has finally included franchise tags, and apparently free agency is improved. Money isn't the only factor; players now care about the team itself, the personnel you have, and your team prestige (also a new feature). There's also something called NFL Icons, where the most reknowned of stars have an extra effect on free agents and morale.

-I don't know how this will work, but coordinators provide you with a weekly gameplan leading up to Sunday's game with keys to stopping your opponent. You can practice with your team during the franchise.

-Better CPU team management. Teams cut dead weight and sign regular season free agents now. I hear the CPU will also trade personnel and draft picks more often. Speaking of the draft, there's now a ticker to monitor time, an announcer, and trading during the draft. Seems more involved.

-You can name team captains, change a player's position (for instance, if you want your DE to be an OLB), and players progress during the season now instead of one big progression after the season.

-EA also mentions Rivalries as a new feature, but I don't know how they'll implement that or what effects it will have.

-Finally, EA has added Create-A-Fan, where a player can create a fan to their liking and have him show up in games. You customize everything about them, and they have a number of fan cutscenes to show the fans off.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Wow, sounds pretty cool. Thanks for the info.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

thoey is offline Registered User

I was at Best Buy the other day letting my boy get something and saw Madden 2003 with Marshall on the cover for $10 dollars. Had to buy it... Still can't play it to save my life, but it is relieving a little of the "dog days of summer" stress...
    This space for rent...

There are a number of people who will argue (and who probably have some good points) that Madden 2003 is actually a better overall game than Madden 2004. Judging by the videos I've seen in 2005, the gameplay looks like it'll be much better in some areas (QBs no longer able to throw accurately off their back foot) but the presentation still blows goats compared to ESPN.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

It amazes me that there are a whole host of people willing to part with hard-earned money for the latest version of software. I still have a 5.2 version of WordPerfect. Can't type any faster and the computer still can't anticipate what I what to do next. Same for the sports games. Just because they have a new roster isn't enough for me to drop $50. And well as to new features, my brain still hasn't absorbed all the features and L2, SQ, Circle, etc that came with the 1st game I bought. Sure wish there were more time in the day however ...

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    Just because they have a new roster isn't enough for me to drop $50.
    It's a good thing when I spend $50 on Madden, I won't just be buying a new roster then.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

ESPN NFL 2k5 is only $20!?
    Only $20?! I can't see spending that much on a coaster. Can you?

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

(QBs no longer able to throw accurately off their back foot)
    That is so true. I just finished playing week 3 vs the *******. Final score was 28-21 good guys. I kept wondering why Bulger couldn't complete a pass to an open reciver, and realized that I was throwing off his back foot due to the ***** blitzing just about every play. I think some of the defenses like the **** are a little over rated, but over all I like the game.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

RamWraith is offline Registered User

I bought ESPN instead of Madden this year as Madden has made very few changes the last couple years. I figured why not try something new and save a couple of bucks.

I don't think ESPN is bad at all. It has a lot of nice features and the Rams ROCK!! and the Seahags suck! All in all for the money and the lack of updating for Madden, I am happy with the purshase and saving $20.00. And if Madden doesn't do something next season to upgrade, I will do the same.

KOOL RAM RULER Guest

:bored: ALRITE its time to get things straight....
    first 2k5 is prolly the best football game ever created....
    the graphics are supurb and the game play is sooooo smooth....
    while madden as always is nearly exactly the same every year,
    with their choppy gameplay and ok graphics....
    the low price of 2k5 is just a bonus!!!!!
    these so-called new features u speak of are just ways of selling madden when they cant come up with original ways to beat espn...
    so when they knew they couldnt win they bought out the nfl gamers rites soo they wouldnt have ne compition.....
    but i guess its ur opinion just givin u a different view...