Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Anesthesia awareness

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anesthetic_Awareness

I was completely oblivious to this until I saw the trailer for the movie Awake, which claims that 1 in 700 remain awake after being put under anesthesia. I didn't think it was real until I looked it up, and the Wikipedia article says that there are between 20,000 to 40,000 cases per year.

bigredman is offline Registered User

Re: Anesthesia awareness

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anesthetic_Awareness

I was completely oblivious to this until I saw the trailer for the movie Awake, which claims that 1 in 700 remain awake after being put under anesthesia. I didn't think it was real until I looked it up, and the Wikipedia article says that there are between 20,000 to 40,000 cases per year.
    This is very true. When I had my tonsils out at age 8, I was panicking in my mind by gaging with the utensils I felt in my throat. I felt like I was being suffocated. I couldn't do a thing. I heard the doctors and nurses talking, and saw them walking around out of the corners of my eyes even though I couldn't move my eyes. It was one the most terrifying moments in my life.

When I had my cancer surgery, I was afraid the same thing would happen. I told them about it and they promised they could do something about it this time. Sure enough, I went out like a light and didn't feel, hear, or see a thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Re: Anesthesia awareness

When I had my ACl re-attached I woke up several times on the gurney on the way to the O.R. and while they were prepping me.. so much so I was kidding around (probably incoherently) with the docs but I was out cold during the procedure.

My problem was coming out from under anesthesia.

But I am here to cause some of you to chuckle and other to roll their eyes at me...
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

LinkBacks (?)

1. -03-24-2008, 07:01 AM