Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    txramsfan is offline Registered User

Any thoughts on the Imus debacle?

He's actually said alot of other stuff much worse than what he called the University of Rutgers girls basketball team. However, when all 5 major sponsors of the show pull the advertising dollars.....no wonder he won't be coming back on MSNBC.

Here's the rub from me.....who does Al Sharpton an Jesse Jackson think they are saying he should be fired? Sharpton and Jackson, who have been publicly busted for having extra-marital affairs still have the audacity to suggest that they are still "Reverens". Right, and I'm the Pope.

Not condoning what he did, actually it was pretty stupid and I'm not even a fan of his. However, when rappers and society use the same term he did on a consistent basis, with the same connotation, does it matter what race says it? I guess it does but when you break it down to me it doesn't. All it shows is ignorance.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Any thoughts on the Imus debacle?

Imus said something dumb, and he apologized for it. IMO, that should have been the end of it.

And when Sharpton starts apologizing for the blood on his hands, I'll start giving a rodents rear about his opinions.

Sharpton and Jackson, who have been publicly busted for having extra-marital affairs still have the audacity to suggest that they are still "Reverens".
    Exactly, tx. I mean all have sinned and fallen short, but then again we're not extorting money from others by pretending we haven't.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    He's actually said alot of other stuff much worse than what he called the University of Rutgers girls basketball team. However, when all 5 major sponsors of the show pull the advertising dollars.....no wonder he won't be coming back on MSNBC.
    Money talks! Imus walks!

Here's the rub from me.....who does Al Sharpton an Jesse Jackson think they are saying he should be fired? Sharpton and Jackson, who have been publicly busted for having extra-marital affairs still have the audacity to suggest that they are still "Reverens". Right, and I'm the Pope.
    Yeah, their comments are pretty much the pot calling the kettle bl-- ...um... African American?

Not condoning what he did, actually it was pretty stupid and I'm not even a fan of his. However, when rappers and society use the same term he did on a consistent basis, with the same connotation, does it matter what race says it? I guess it does but when you break it down to me it doesn't. All it shows is ignorance.
    Its quite the standard standard.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

What Imus said was just plain stupid and insensitive. These days, chances are you're going to face the music if you make a racially offensive comment on TV. IMO, if his show was not being simulcast on MSNBC, he might have gotten away with this, as he had in the past. The sponsors took care of any future problems on MSNBC and my guess is the same will happen with his radio show. Any company associated with him right now will be villified and raked over the coals because despite the very real double standards here, the Black Community will not let this go away.

Good luck on satellite radio Don!

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Should he have said that? No. Does he deserve what he got? No...This whole thing is absolutely ridiculous. I think anything that is offensive racially is bad whether your race says it or not. I think if the black community is so offended by it, why do they keep saying these things (ala rap)? If they want to forget about the past of slavery and all that other stuff, why do they still bring it up? They're the ones who bring it up on a daily basis and they're teaching kids that its ok to be saying these words. I hate racism, but to me, when you rap about it and say it, you act as if its OK to say, it shows me that they don't care about it, and its not that big of a deal. And when certain people are shown that, they abuse it, and start saying racist things...

One other thing that ticks me off is that all these people who take offense from what Imus said are just people itching to be offended. Everyone has to find someway to be offended, it's ridiculous how others are. Some people live for just trying to find ways to find something offensive or politically incorrect. It drives me nuts, and its not helping any community in the USA whatsoever, what is this stuff teaching our youth? If we ever want to make strides towards not having racism, you have to get rid of it. In my mind, we still have it because of certain people within that race, and the irony is, the people saying it within that race are usually the people who are most offended by it.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

As others have mentioned, this is all about the money. The sponsors felt the heat and bailed. Like it or not and regardless of the double standards, Imus made the statement, the market place spoke, and he payed the price. Right or wrong, that's just the way it is. Not to worry though, as I said earlier, I believe he'll resurface on satellite radio.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Sadly his firing doesn't surprise me. Our society is becoming a bunch of over sensitive cry babies looking for a reason to be offended. African American and Hispanic comedians make fun of white people on a daily basis and say much much worse than "nappy headed ho" and get away with it. Why? Because us honkeys don't give a rat's ass that's why.

ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

CBS also cancelled Imus' radio show now.

I think what he said had no place but I have heard worse in rap lyrics and in movies.

It is called selective indignation.

RnD

GO RAMS!!
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

BigGame is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I have to disagree here. Context is plays a huge role in what is considered appropriate, and some white redneck uses terms packed with connoted value that he has no idea about. In my opinion, even using the term hos is going too far to make a mockery out of a culture and people he obviously knows nothing about, but the "nappy headed" part really boggled my mind. He certainly wouldn't refer to an all-white, Ivy-League girls team as "a bunch of braided *****es," so even to make the insinuation that all African-Americans are fit to be judged under these "rap/hip-hop" terms you speak of is absurd.

I'm not trying to justify the objectification of women that takes place in hip-hop music with constant usage terms like *****es and hos. But just because Jay-Z or Ghostface get away with it doesn't mean that Imus should. We all know that there exists a time and place for everything, and it is very close-minded to approach the situation suggesting everyone is to be judged by the same criteria. I might be able to test an extremely offensive dead-baby joke with my roommates, but I'm certainly not going to bring it out at the next funeral I attend, regardless of the reception.

Maybe it's the patriotic part of me, but looking at the comments coming from some of you Yanks whose opinions I usually value and respect immensely, I am starting to get an idea how Bush was elected to a second term.

Yes, I'm admittedly liberal in my views, but I'm far from a supporter of either Jackson or Sharpton. Still, they, along with other courageous black leaders, continue to challenge social boundaries that have long denied equality for their people, and played vital roles in a fight that, regardless of what you may believe, is far from over.
    Last edited by BigGame; -04-13-2007 at 12:31 PM.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I guess Harlem High School won't be hiring Imus anytime soon.

I'm far from a supporter of either Jackson or Sharpton. Still, they, along with other courageous black leaders, continue to challenge social boundaries that have long denied equality for their people, and played vital roles in a fight that, regardless of what you may believe, is far from over.
    Don't drink that Kool-Aid (sorry for the phrase, Avenger) my friend. We could debate how much "racism" is occuring in America, but make no mistake.....Jackson and Sharpton have done more to add to the racism in this country than to take it away. If racism goes away, those two are out of a job, and they're smart enough to know that and prevent that.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BigGame View Post
    I have to disagree here. Context is plays a huge role in what is considered appropriate, and some white redneck uses terms packed with connoted value that he has no idea about.
    Ah ok it's not ok for him, but you can make a racist insult at him?

In my opinion, even using the term hos is going too far to make a mockery out of a culture and people he obviously knows nothing about, but the "nappy headed" part really boggled my mind. He certainly wouldn't refer to an all-white, Ivy-League girls team as "a bunch of braided *****es,"
    Actually he would and has. He is rude , crude and equally insults everyone.

so even to make the insinuation that all African-Americans are fit to be judged under these "rap/hip-hop" terms you speak of is absurd.
    So African Americans get free reign to say whatever they want, but white people have a list of words we can't use in order to not hurt somebody's poor widdle feelings?

I'm not trying to justify the objectification of women that takes place in hip-hop music with constant usage terms like *****es and hos. But just because Jay-Z or Ghostface get away with it doesn't mean that Imus should. We all know that there exists a time and place for everything, and it is very close-minded to approach the situation suggesting everyone is to be judged by the same criteria. I might be able to test an extremely offensive dead-baby joke with my roommates, but I'm certainly not going to bring it out at the next funeral I attend, regardless of the reception.
    Maybe if things are so bad to say, people shouldn't say them to anyone, anywhere, at anytime. And yes all people should be judged by the same set of rules. Why do Carlos Mencia or Dave Chapelle get to be blatantly racist in their jokes, but Don Imus makes one minor comment and gets fired?

Maybe it's the patriotic part of me, but looking at the comments coming from some of you Yanks whose opinions I usually value and respect immensely, I am starting to get an idea how Bush was elected to a second term.
    Oh now I see a pattern forming. Don Imus can't make a bad joke about a basketball team, but you get to insult an entire country and that's fine? Man you are one mixed up kid.

Yes, I'm admittedly liberal in my views, but I'm far from a supporter of either Jackson or Sharpton. Still, they, along with other courageous black leaders, continue to challenge social boundaries that have long denied equality for their people, and played vital roles in a fight that, regardless of what you may believe, is far from over.
    Name one things these alleged leaders did except get rich off the plight of the people they are supposedly fighting for. They create barriers where none exsist, they spread hate where there was peace, they open wounds that were starting to heal. They do so much more harm than good, and I honestly can't see how anyone who follows them could think any different.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die
    Oh now I see a pattern forming. Don Imus can't make a bad joke about a basketball team, but you get to insult an entire country and that's fine? Man you are one mixed up kid.
    I think that's exactly it. When you're on public radio, there are rules of propriety that don't apply to the everyday man in his everyday life. That said, I don't think it's fair to hold Imus to a double-standard with regards to who he can insult. If the society/sponsors/listeners accept that he's going to be crude about everyone, there's no reason one ethnic group should get special treatment. In an "equal" society, he should either be able to say whatever he wants about anyone, or he should have to watch what he says about everyone.

BigGame is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    Ah ok it's not ok for him, but you can make a racist insult at him?.
    I called him a redneck based on what I have heard the man say. It is a statement that is grounded in things I've witnessed, unlike his generalization that a group of black girl are hoes. The term ho is packed with sexual conotations, and when used in hip-hop refrences those conotations are clearly in the forground to categorize a certain type of female. It is purely unacceptable for Imus to refer to them as hoes only because they are Africa-Amercian, and the comment shows his ignorance.

I also simply observed that Imus is white. I don't see how that is a racial insult.

So African Americans get free reign to say whatever they want, but white people have a list of words we can't use in order to not hurt somebody's poor widdle feelings?.
    Not to say whatever they want, but to use terminology in the right context. Hip-hop music is not real life, but that is an seperae debate. The bottom line is that I agree with Aristotle's and Cicero's observations on the importance of context in making public speaking decisions. He certainly has a right to say what he did, but people also have a right to react how ever they see fit, and if the public feedback resulted in Imus' firing, so be it.

Oh now I see a pattern forming. Don Imus can't make a bad joke about a basketball team, but you get to insult an entire country and that's fine? Man you are one mixed up kid..
    Again, you seem defensive. I didn't insult your country, I simply made an observation that even fellow Ram fans, whose opinions on many issues I value, project the same ideals that fall in line with Republican policy that, as a Canadian, I'm glad I'm not a part of. Even though we are now run by a conservative government, equality and multiculturalism remains one of our nation's strong points, and racial tension seems largly a thing of the past.

My statement wasn't meant to offend, but if it did, I apoligize.

Name one things these alleged leaders did except get rich off the plight of the people they are supposedly fighting for. They create barriers where none exsist, they spread hate where there was peace, they open wounds that were starting to heal. They do so much more harm than good, and I honestly can't see how anyone who follows them could think any different.
    Very well said. I already mentioned that I do not support either of the metioned leaders, but they are not the only ones who expressed outrage. I feel black American's had a right to be offended by his comments, and maybe we disagree on tht point.

Still, I think your notion that the "barriers" they push are nonexistant is slightly naieve, and I point back to Imus' ignorance as an example.
    Last edited by BigGame; -04-13-2007 at 07:04 PM.

I simply made an observation that even fellow Ram fans, whose opinions on many issues I value, project the same ideals that fall in line with Republican policy that, as a Canadian, I'm glad I'm not a part of.
    What does the Republican party have to do with this? Again, this is not a political forum, but you are aware that Imus is a Democrat, right? Don't make the assumption that an old white guy who says something Sharpton/Jackson don't like is a Republican.
    racial tension seems largly a thing of the past.
    You'll need to take that up with Sharpton/Jackson. They have the most to lose if racism is wiped out of this country.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast