ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

anyone have any expiriance with a dodge charger?

im thinking of purchasing a used one and would like to know peoples opinions on it, like some pros and cons?

Built RAM tough

RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Re: anyone have any expiriance with a dodge charger?

I had TWO of them at once. Both were what I call pea soup green with dark green vinyl roofs. My dad knew a guy on the patrol who had 'his and hers' Chargers, and he wanted to unload both of them at once to buy a pickup when he got divorced. For a grand total of $1600 in 1980, I got a '73 with a 318, automatic with the console shift (and I loved how it only let you shift up one gear at a time), COLD A/C, and plain hubcaps. The other one was a '73 SE, 440 magnum 4-speed, factory rally wheels, and some good rubber on those wheels.
    The only complaints I had were 1) the 318 seemed weak during acceleration, 2) the 440 didn't get iles per gallon, it was gallons per mile, and 3) the torsion bar front end took some getting used to when cornering at speed. I was always worried that I was going to roll the thing because it didn't seem to stick to the road like my Camaros and Novas did. Never did lose control of the things, though. In snow, they weren't exactly the best to get traction, but putting in about 5 or 6 cement blocks in the trunk helped a lot.

The main things you need to keep in mind are the transmissions in these things were either weak or really beefy, so were the rear ends. The A-frames were also kind of easy to damage if you abuse the cars. Look for damage to the rear valance and the front bumper mounts. Other than that....you'll have fun - until your 3rd or 4th speeding ticket.

yeah im hoping for a 2006 srt 8, i have to pay for half so ill probably end up getting an sxt or an r/t

thanks for the input
    Built RAM tough

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I drive a 2007 Dodge Charger and love it.
    Last edited by laram0; -04-21-2008 at 02:48 PM.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

I work in the industry and as of this time there is not a lot of information on the health of the newer Chargers. One thing to be aware of is that Dodge does not use a in-line fuel filters and their fuel pumps tend to take a beating with dirt and grime getting in and ruining the pumps. This can be a costly fix in the future. That is about all the info out on new Chargers as of right now.

thanks for the heads up
    Built RAM tough

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    I work in the industry and as of this time there is not a lot of information on the health of the newer Chargers. One thing to be aware of is that Dodge does not use a in-line fuel filters and their fuel pumps tend to take a beating with dirt and grime getting in and ruining the pumps. This can be a costly fix in the future. That is about all the info out on new Chargers as of right now.
    The in fuel tank fuel filter/pump combo is a pain in the rear. I drove a Dakota for 14 years and replaced the fuel pump twice, One has to drop the fuel tank to change out the pump and they don't fail until you fill the tank! >8)

This, however, did not stop me from upgrading to a Ram 1500 and will upgrade again when I can afford to to at least a 2500.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

RamWraith is offline Registered User

yeap...

I had a Durango and had the same issue. Not a real smart design on the part of Dodge.

Quote Originally Posted by ramsanddodgers View Post
    The in fuel tank fuel filter/pump combo is a pain in the rear. I drove a Dakota for 14 years and replaced the fuel pump twice, One has to drop the fuel tank to change out the pump and they don't fail until you fill the tank! >8)

This, however, did not stop me from upgrading to a Ram 1500 and will upgrade again when I can afford to to at least a 2500.