throwback week

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    adarian_too is offline Registered User

Anyone notice the Eerie silence of the International Community to Hurricane Katrina?

If there is natural disaster anywhere in the rest of the world, America is supposed to drop what it's doing and come to the aid of the less fortunate. You even have an official of the UN admonish us for not doing enough. Or not doing it soon enough.

But if a hurricane like Katrina should cripple the south, is the international community clamoring all over itself to volunteer shelter, food, rescue equipment? No. What is most conspicuous is the silence. In fact, it is more like "let the rich americans work their own problems out."

Well, we will. With no thanks to the rest of the world. And if Bush wants to nuke Iran, Syria, N Korea and the rest of the ingrates in Iraq ... well he has my blessing ... that's my story and I'm sticking to it ...

To the poor, infirm, and elderly of south Louisana, Mississippi ... may mercy and peace come quickly.
    Last edited by adarian_too; -08-30-2005 at 08:41 PM.

Chiledog Guest

Re: Anyone notice the Eerie silence of the International Community to Hurricane Katrina?

Insightful observation, A2. I must admit that I had never even thought about of before, even though we have had our share of natural disasters in the last few years, Katrina certainly appearing to be the worst. I guess my attitude has always been that we'll take care of of our problems. But hey, like you said, where's the offer for help from the international community when we need it? We are always the first to offer help to others, and even to those who are considered "enemies". Now, in our time of suffering and need, silence from around the world.
    Sad and pathetic...

My prayers to those who are suffering in the south.

-

psycho9985 Guest

Re: Anyone notice the Eerie silence of the International Community to Hurricane Katrina?

Thats just their excuse.They all say its George Bushes fault for not signing the kyoto treaty.That economic destroying country killing mechanism that forces socializm,by the way no country that has signed obeys.The world would hold the U.S. to it though.Anyway thats why we wont get help from the rest of the world.:sad:

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

The US does have the reputation of running out and helping out other countries in their time of need. I can't claim to have my finger on the pulse of the international world, but I am not hearing about any help pouring in from any other country as katrina is devastating a few of the southern states.

I hope we have enough people performing the rescues and saving as many lives as they can. It is sad that so many were caught in this disaster. The poor, sick, and elderly are the ones who will suffer the most.

It is a shame that so many of our National Guard are out of the country helping others at this time of need for the US.

:bored:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by psycho9985
    They all say its George Bushes fault for not signing the kyoto treaty.
    It is always a fascinating discussion about whether anyone, anywhere deserves the punishment they receive. Is it God's will? Is the US getting what it deserves for contributing to global warming? I'm not sure of the answer.

But I am sure that I am tired of the rest of thw world expecting us to be the world's policeman, babysitter, and nursemaid. They continue to have their hand out while slapping us upside the face. The French can have their statue back and their permanent seat on the Security Council should be revoked, and the French Quarters of New Orleans - well just rename it when rebuilding starts. Ingrates, all of them.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

t is always a fascinating discussion about whether anyone, anywhere deserves the punishment they receive. Is it God's will?
    Personally, I believe that God's judgement is not of this world.
    But I am sure that I am tired of the rest of thw world expecting us to be the world's policeman, babysitter, and nursemaid.
    A2, you make a very relevant (and lucent I might add) observation here. Where is the U.N. on this one? If this happened anywhere else in the world, and the U.S. had not bent over backward yet, the U.N. would have thrown a fit!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Many issues and questions surrounding this thread have not even been touched upon.

Personally, I don't expect any countries to come to our aid. With that same attitude I don't think we should be aiding other countries until we can take care of our own.

Why in the sam hell are so many people living in a soup bowl of a city in the face of natures fury?

How many dollars have already been funneled into the Homeland Security Act? Are we, as a country, anymore prepared to handle a disaster after funneling all that money into the act?

We can't even take care of our own, yet we are spending untold billions in Iraq and US corporations are raking in a high percentage of those untold billions.

Now the crude oil prices will rise and we will take it in the shorts at the pumps. Makes you wonder if we are more dependant on foreign oil or the oil produced in the gulf. Maybe we are simply at the mercy of the oil barons, regardless of where the bulk of crude oil comes from?

Rest assured the over-taxed citizens of the entire country will foot the bill for the aftermath of Katrina.

I have to shake my head at the thought of rebuilding New Orleans. It is going to be an enormous task, and on top of that, the threat for another natural disaster still exists.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Now the crude oil prices will rise and we will take it in the shorts at the pumps. Makes you wonder if we are more dependant on foreign oil or the oil produced in the gulf. Maybe we are simply at the mercy of the oil barons, regardless of where the bulk of crude oil comes from?
    I think the problem here is the inability to refine the crude. We can still bring in oil, but the loss of the refineries in the gulf bottlenecks the crude so that there's less of the end products (gasoline, heating oil) and that's what we see at the pumps.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

As I suppose I will be classed as an international

1) I feell very sorry for all those involved in this disaster I really do.
    2) I have heard nothing but sympathy for those caught in it from fellow internationals.

now can I add something and this is not meant to be derogitory in ANY shape or form but just to throw a thought out there.

The USA stands proud as the big Brother to all nations. Thats how they wish to be shown, correct?

Maybe, some of the other countries you are talking about, just dont have the money to give?

I know the UK has sent manpower to help, not sure thats what your wanting but its a start.

Again, I hope those affected get help real soon.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    I think the problem here is the inability to refine the crude. We can still bring in oil, but the loss of the refineries in the gulf bottlenecks the crude so that there's less of the end products (gasoline, heating oil) and that's what we see at the pumps.
    Granted, but did we not see a spike in the price of crude yesterday? And where is the reserve? I would think part of the billions spent on the Homeland Security Act included some reserve?

I just caught a blurb on one of the network news channels about a price freeze. Guess we'll see where that goes?

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez

Maybe, some of the other countries you are talking about, just dont have the money to give?

I know the UK has sent manpower to help, not sure thats what your wanting but its a start.
    Let me say that I am speaking in broad generalities. I am confident that there are individuals who are sympathetic. And I trust there are countries like England and Japan who have volunteered resources.

But my initial sense is eerie quiet from those vocal critics of the US. Maybe, and just maybe, perhaps it is a failure of the news media to actually report what may be taking place on various fronts. Maybe the UN is mobilizing its efforts to draw upon available resources and it just hasn't been reported. Maybe Germany has sent ships loaded with helicopters to aid in the rescue efforts. Maybe the French are packaging bottled water and cheese as we speak. Maybe the US government is too proud to accept donations from the outside. Maybe. Maybe not. Either way it still has been eerily quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    Personally, I don't expect any countries to come to our aid. With that same attitude I don't think we should be aiding other countries until we can take care of our own.
    And in this, we are in agreement. I don't even expect thanks anymore. But I do think it is high past time that we look after our own. It may be quiet on one front, but I do hear the unmistableable sucking sound of jobs going to China on another.

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez
    The USA stands proud as the big Brother to all nations. Thats how they wish to be shown, correct?

Maybe the USA has become the big brother, but I'm not certain that all of the citizens in this country wish to be in that role?

And at what cost?

We don't have the money either. We have budget deficits and a national debt that will be passed on to many generations.

I am not opposed to helping other countries, but I think we should take care of our own country first.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Some additional info...

Bush sees hurricane damage from Air Force One
    Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:48 PM ET

ABOARD AIR FORCE ONE (Reuters) - President George W. Bush's plane swooped low over three states on Wednesday, giving him a somber view of the destruction left by Hurricane Katrina as he returned to Washington to oversee the U.S. government's response.

Air Force One descended to less than 3,000 feet (900 meters) over Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama to allow Bush to see some of the worst damage.

At 2,500 feet over New Orleans, the president and his aides could see the skin of the Superdome roof peeled back by the storm's fury.

"It's totally wiped out," Bush remarked as the modified Boeing 747 moved east past Slidell, a Louisiana community reduced to a pile of rubble and sticks.

"It's devastating, it's got to be doubly devastating on the ground," Bush said, according to his spokesman Scott McClellan.

Bush, who cut short a vacation in Texas and may visit the stricken region later this week, saw a causeway in pieces, boats stranded on highways, and mile after mile of houses surrounded by water all the way up to the roofs.

"There wasn't a whole lot of conversation," McClellan said. "It's very sobering to see from the air ... I think at some point you are just kind of shaking your head in disbelief."

Following a video conference with senior government officials, Bush left his ranch in Crawford, Texas, and was flying back to the White House to monitor the massive recovery effort after Katrina cut her swathe of death and destruction.

When Bush arrives, he will lead a meeting with representatives of 14 federal agencies involved in the recovery and cleanup, including the Departments of Energy, Interior and Health and Human Services.

The Pentagon on Wednesday added warships, including two helicopter assault vessels and the hospital ship Comfort, along with elite search units to the relief effort. Energy Secretary Samuel Bodman said the administration would release supplies from the federal petroleum reserves to help refiners affected by the hurricane.

Although aides have long said that Bush can run the White House from his 1,600-acre (650-hectare) ranch where he has full secure communications capabilities, the president decided it was better to return to Washington, according to McClellan.

"There are people who are suffering, who are in need," he said. "The issue was the president felt it was best to get back to Washington to oversee the response efforts from there." Bush had been scheduled to end his month-long vacation on Friday.

One of the most severe storms ever to hit the United States, Katrina killed more than 100 people with the toll certain to go higher as authorities struggle to count the dead, save low-lying New Orleans and tally the catastrophic destruction.

Analysts have estimated the damage to be at least $26 billion.

FEDERAL AID

Bush is expected to visit the ravaged Gulf Coast region later, perhaps on Saturday. The White House is sensitive to the disruption presidential visits can cause and Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour advised them to hold off on coming too soon.

The Bush administration is putting together an aid package to help with the hurricane's aftermath, but McClellan said needs had to be assessed before a dollar figure could be attached to it.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency already has $2.5 billion on hand from last year's appropriations. In addition, $2.14 billion has been requested for fiscal year 2006 that starts on October 1.

The U.S. military weighed in with major assets as the Army Corps of Engineers worked to help civilian engineers in New Orleans close a major break in a protective levee that flooded the tourist city two days after Katrina ripped ashore.

More than 8,200 part-time National Guard troops have been mobilized by governors in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida for duties from police work to providing water and electric generators.

The big Navy hospital ship Comfort was preparing to depart Baltimore and the helicopter carrier USS Bataan and another warship were already conducting rescue missions from off the Louisiana and Mississippi coasts.

The USS Iwo Jima, another helicopter assault ship, was preparing to sail from Norfolk, Virginia, with three other vessels and arrive in five days, the Navy said.
    ...but yes, I've also noticed the silence of countries in giving aide. Maybe once we can get in there and start analyzing the situation better, including knowing how much it's going to cost and how many dead we're talking about, other countries will react and help with the recovery and rebuilding process.

That said, I really hope that trying to rebuild a country in the Middle East is not going to hinder our abilities to rebuild part of our own country. I wouldn't be surprised to see gas prices rise well over $3.00 a gallon this weekend in most of the country, unless of course it's already at that level.

But hey, at least Bush decided to end his vacation. :tut
    Last edited by Nick; -08-31-2005 at 05:28 PM.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

I just went to check the New Olreans Saints official web site and its totally down?

Anyone else getting that?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast