Thread: bench press

general counsel is offline Registered User

bench press

Is there any possibility that the searing pain in my right shoulder is a sympathetic injury with The Big Man rather than advancing tendinitis as a result of my overactive bench press schedule?

How often do each of you guys lift. How many sets and how much weight.

Try this. When the rams game starts, do a warmup set. Increase the weight and lift as much and as many sets and reps as you can until halftime, lifting at least one set on every commercial break. When the second half starts, start decreasing the weight and continue to lift at every commercial break until the end of the game. This is my typical rams workout and i am ready for sunday, assuming my shoulder doesnt collapse. I am also considering getting a spotter who is older than six years old (my daughter, who at least can call 911 if needed).

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

Re: bench press

If your schedule is once a week during a football game, I doubt that's it. I don't want to insult your weight lifting, but it could also be from bad form, that is if you're lifting more than once a week.

If you already have tendonitis, you should probably do something to fix that. Do lighter reps, half reps, stretching. Take Motrin, use Icy Hot, anything to reduce inflamation. Massage...You're workout during the Rams game also probably overworks the muscles. You don't really need to do that many reps. Stress to failure then do half reps, forced reps and negative reps.

bigredman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Is there any possibility that the searing pain in my right shoulder is a sympathetic injury with The Big Man rather than advancing tendinitis as a result of my overactive bench press schedule?
    Ahhhhh...you do love me!
    Last edited by bigredman; -09-03-2008 at 08:02 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

makersncoke is offline Registered User

You could be lifting too much during your warm-up set. Here's what I do, start with 6 Budweisers at pre-game and work to 12 Buds by the half. Now cool down is important also, so don't go directly to a full 24 for the second half stop at the 20 pack unless your an experienced lifter. The pain in your shoulder should be gone in 17-21 weeks on this program. No need to send money, the advice is free, a simple GO RAMS will do.

Of course on heavy lifting days always go with Makers Mark and coke.
    Last edited by makersncoke; -09-03-2008 at 08:51 PM.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by makersncoke View Post
    You could be lifting too much during your warm-up set. Here's what I do, start with 6 Budweisers at pre-game and work to 12 Buds by the half. Now cool down is important also, so don't go directly to a full 24 for the second half stop at the 20 pack unless your an experienced lifter. The pain in your shoulder should be gone in 17-21 weeks on this program. No need to send money, the advice is free, a simple GO RAMS will do.
    You only do this during RAMS games?

Weak...very Weak.

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    You only do this during RAMS games?

Weak...very Weak.
    OH NO SIR, Thank god for thursday night, sunday night and of course monday night.

Actually, i lift 3 days a week on the bench, total of 3 hours if you dont count during rams games, where its a 3 hour lift on that day alone. The good news is that i am up to 255 max, the bad news is that my shoulder is about to fall apart. My warm up sets are at 125 and 145, then i go up to 255 and down by 5 pounds per set from there.

I work pretty hard on my form, so i dont think thats it, but its a very fair point. Its probably just overuse and age. Either way, it feels great so i have no intention of stopping if i can stand the pain. Once i get warmed up, i dont feel a thing, it feels terrific. It only really hurts after i am done. I am also up to about 15 pounds of protein a week (chicken and fish only) since i am starving all the time. At least my clothes fit a lot better!

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Try putting heat on it after you lift. Do you feel the insides of your shoulder move around at all?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by GC
    Actually, i lift 3 days a week on the bench, total of 3 hours if you dont count during rams games, where its a 3 hour lift on that day alone.
    At 46, that's a lot of stress on your shoulders. I mean, combined, they are 92 years old! You need recovery time, and it doesn't sound to me like you're getting enough. Maybe cut back on 1 of your workouts, or DON'T go to failure. Leave 1 or 2 reps in the tank, and you will recover faster. As for the post-workout pains, start with ice immediately after; then switch to heat after a few hours. Rotate cold and heat for a couple of days, and that should help. The cold should decrease the inflammation, and the heat will up the bloodflow to the area.

On your form, make sure to keep your shoulder blades pinched together and buried hard into the bench. It puts your shoulder girdle at a less stressful angle.

Check out this site. And this site. These guys are IMO the foremost experts on powerlifting. Search through their articles on bench pressing......it'll be a wealth of info.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Or don't go to failure. Put heat on it before you start lifiing too. Dude if you're just doing 3 hours on the bench alone, that's way too much in one workout. There's plenty of other things to work out your chest.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I curl gallons of milk during the RAMS games. 1 gallon per hand.

I started out with skim because it's the lightest. I have moved up to the 2% with whole milk the goal.

Who knows once I get to the whole milk maybe I'll progress to the Chocolate?

Back off on the weight and the reps, I don't know if you have ever had a shoulder injury but it is on of the hardest to recover from and the bench press is not overly forgiving on your shoulder. I separated my right shoulder when I was 17 (old whiffle ball injury) and still today from time to time when I bench I get pain in my shoulder.

If i back off the weight and the reps, how am i going to be ready for the combine next year?

I really appreciate the advice guys. You make a lot of sense of course. Needless to say, moderation is a skill that i lack in all areas of my life.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    At 46, that's a lot of stress on your shoulders. I mean, combined, they are 92 years old! You need recovery time, and it doesn't sound to me like you're getting enough. Maybe cut back on 1 of your workouts, or DON'T go to failure. Leave 1 or 2 reps in the tank, and you will recover faster. As for the post-workout pains, start with ice immediately after; then switch to heat after a few hours. Rotate cold and heat for a couple of days, and that should help. The cold should decrease the inflammation, and the heat will up the bloodflow to the area.

On your form, make sure to keep your shoulder blades pinched together and buried hard into the bench. It puts your shoulder girdle at a less stressful angle.

Check out this site. And this site. These guys are IMO the foremost experts on powerlifting. Search through their articles on bench pressing......it'll be a wealth of info.
    In terms of the skeletal shoulder, I'm afraid you are wrong. With osteoclasts and osteoblasts breaking down and renewing the bone, your skeleton basically has a brand new skeleton every 10 years, so his shoulder can't be older than 10 (or 20 combined). In terms of shoulder ligaments and stuff, you are right.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAM-BO View Post
    In terms of the skeletal shoulder, I'm afraid you are wrong. With osteoclasts and osteoblasts breaking down and renewing the bone, your skeleton basically has a brand new skeleton every 10 years, so his shoulder can't be older than 10 (or 20 combined). In terms of shoulder ligaments and stuff, you are right.
    Spoken like someone who hasn't reached 46 yet!

Yes, yes, cells replicate all the time, but the body ages. And someone at 46 will need a little more recovery time than someone at 23. That's the point.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod