Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Best "Jump to Solo Career" Albums

Yes, its the offseason...

I was talking to someone recently about music, and the topic of how most of the time, when a band member becomes a solo artist, the result is less than great. This got me thinking of the exceptions to that rule. So... here is my list of solo debuts that worked:

Sting - Dream of the Blue Turtles
    First, we have to deal with The Police breakup. Then Sting announces that his solo debut is going to mix his Euro-Alt-Rock sound with Jazz. Not exactly a promising formula. But, to my surprise, it all clicked. The first track "If you love someone, set them free" made me say "Oh, now I get it." That DOES work! Best track: Children's Crusade.

David Lee Roth - Crazy From The Heat
    "Now take that Van Halen shirt off before you jinx it and the band breaks up" -- Adam Sandler, The Wedding Singer. If you grew up in the 80s, you get that joke. Then, Dave comes out with his solo album and its hilarious videos ("David! My kids would simply kill me if you did not sign a few things for them!) Let's face it: from about 1983-1986, David Lee Roth was the coolest guy on the planet.

Natalie Merchant - Tigerlilly
    Merchant was the quirky lead of a band with an equally quirky name, 10,000 Maniacs, before she released this album. This is one of those albums that you listen to over and over and neve skip a track. Amazing voice and songs that really exhibit her talents.

Peter Gabriel - Peter Gabriel
    Some may not remember that Gabriel was the original frontman for the band Genesis (yes, before Phil Collins). In 1977 he left the band and recorded his first album of a solo career that continues today. The songs Solsbury Hill and Here Comes the Floodare two of my all-time favorites.

Any to add to the list?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Best "Jump to Solo Career" Albums

David Lee Roth - Crazy From The Heat
    Most self-indulgent piece of crappola to ever hit the airwaves!

And I LOVED every minute of it!

I played that cassette (I'll explain a "cassette" to you youngins later), and the follow up to it (can't remember the name though) over and over and over. Loved Yankee Rose & Stand Up. And wasn't there a Spanish version of the single Crazy From The Heat? Loco something or other?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

"Hey... I always travel with two of them... that way, if there's going to be conversation, I don't have to be involved! Forget-about-it, Dave!"

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Lionel Ritchie and Michael Jackson

Grand Slams for both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Lionel Ritchie and Michael Jackson

Grand Slams for both of them.
    Good examples.

Another one would be Bella Donna by Stevie Nicks. I wouldn't say that her solo debut was as good as her work with Fleetwood Mac, but it did have some classic tracks that were very different from her work with the group (Edge of Seventeen, Leather and Lace, Stop Draggin' My Heart Around).

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

I doubt we'll need to hide the women and children just yet, but how about Ozzie Osborne for all you...uh...headbangers out there? (And you know who you are!!)

WHAT SAY YE?

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Eric Clapton - Eric Clapton
    After numerous big-time band projects, his first true solo album was almost guaranteed to be a classic, and it was.

Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow
    Another guy who worked his way through several bands and broke big with a classic first solo effort.

George Harrison - All Things Must Pass
    His first "real" solo album after the Beatle's breakup was a masterpiece.

Have I dated myself??

jmk321 is offline Registered User

John Lennon-John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band
    Dr. Dre- The Chronic

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    I doubt we'll need to hide the women and children just yet, but how about Ozzie Osborne for all you...uh...headbangers out there? (And you know who you are!!)

WHAT SAY YE?
    Ahhhhhh The prince of DARKNESS!

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Ahhhhhh The prince of DARKNESS!
    You gotta love Ozzy. He gets kicked out of Black Sabbath and comes back with a vengeance to kick ass on "Blizzard of Oz", featuring everybody's favorite, "Crazy Train". Did you ever notice when the intro to that song gets played, wherever you are, whoever you're with, everybody instinctively, in unison, with perfect timing chants the "aye, aye, aye" part?

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    You gotta love Ozzy. He gets kicked out of Black Sabbath and comes back with a vengeance to kick ass on "Blizzard of Oz", featuring everybody's favorite, "Crazy Train". Did you ever notice when the intro to that song gets played, wherever you are, whoever you're with, everybody instinctively, in unison, with perfect timing chants the "aye, aye, aye" part?
    I wasn't aware that he actually got kicked out of B/S. Do you know any of the details?

BTW I'm curious: what are your favorite songs by Ozzy, either with The Sabs or solo?

P.S. Not to influence your choices but the intro to "Into the Void" has been playing in my head all morning. Oh well, Go Tony!!!

WHAT SAY YE?

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    I wasn't aware that he actually got kicked out of B/S. Do you know any of the details?

BTW I'm curious: what are your favorite songs by Ozzy, either with The Sabs or solo?

P.S. Not to influence your choices but the intro to "Into the Void" has been playing in my head all morning. Oh well, Go Tony!!!

WHAT SAY YE?
    Ozzy was apparently too much too handle with his alcohol and drug addictions for the rest of the guys in Black Sabbath,

As far as my favorite songs? I'm pertty middle of the road with stuff like Paranoid, Iron Man, Faries Wear Boots, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Crazy Train, You Can't Kill Rock And Roll, I Just Want You, Flying High Again...... to name a few.

Sorry we're getting off topic Av.

rams#1 Guest

Justin Timberlake has been really successful. has he not?? I really don't listen to his music, but I hear he is good.

Quote Originally Posted by rams#1 View Post
    Justin Timberlake has been really successful. has he not?? I really don't listen to his music, but I hear he is good.
    I'd rather listen to Fran Drescher and Rosie O'Donnell sing an a capella duet of BonJovi's Livin' on a Prayer than anything Justin Timerberlake has ever recorded.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I'd rather listen to Fran Drescher and Rosie O'Donnell sing an a capella duet of BonJovi's Livin' on a Prayer than anything Justin Timerberlake has ever recorded.
    Your mastery of imagery never ceases to amaze.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast