BigGameMN is offline Registered User

Best thing for a clogged up nose?

Seriously, I can't breathe. I'm sitting here with my mouth open panting like a dog and almost choking when I swallow. I tried some thermaflu and it tastes horrible and doesn't work. Nose spray seems to work pretty good but I've heard it's addictive. Any suggestions?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Best thing for a clogged up nose?

Spicy food?

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

Yip a good curry gets my nose running..

viper is offline Registered User

Try an antihistimine (Benedryl) and a tissue.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Clariton D works for me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RamWraith is offline Registered User

I have serious sinus issues, to the point of needing surgery. The doctors gave me this recipe

1 cup warm water
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    pinch of baking soda

This must be sucked into the sinus cavity and out thought the mouth. It sounds really gross, and it is, but it really works. Any over the counter nasal spray is very hard on your nose and your nose becomes addicted to it. Anti-histamines can dry out your ear canals and make them very vulnerable to ear infections. If you must use a nose spray, use either a direct saline or get a prescription for flo-nase. Most important, get plenty of tissue with the lotion in it :-).

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

If you are willing to try some 'home remedies' I know some of these work, others I have not tried yet:

Peppermint candy - helps relieve congestion.

Hot Chicken soup - no bull. Mt. Sinai Medical Center in Miami Beach has proven that chicken soup really does work.

Mustard Plaster - my grandmother used to use a nasty strong horseradish mustard, rub it on my chest, and cover it with a damp washcloth. Not sure why it worked, but it did. (Of course, this was 40 years ago...)

Horseradish and hot peppers - eat some chili. Not that weenie stuff they sell at the store, real chili. Who knows, I might hand out my secret recipe.

Garlic is supposed to help, plus it lowers cholesterol.

A spicy bloody mary, extra tobasco. Or, try a 'hot shot', it's a shot of cinnamon schnapps with 8-10 drops of tobasco floating on top.

A cool mist humidifier helps.

Since you are up in the north, you probably don't have access to all the mexican foods and spices that I do, so try these two "Shortcut" recipes. Since they aren't made from scratch, they are not as good as 'original recipe' cooking, but they work:

Chili:
    Purchase a can of "Texas Style" Chili Magic brand chili mix (made by Bush's bean co., should be on the shelf right around the other beans.) Follow the directions, except: Dice TWO jalapeno peppers and add to the meat. After adding chili mix to meat, add 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon chili powder, and garlic powder to taste. It will be semi-spicy. Add more peppers if you dare. If spoon dissolves while stirring, it's probably spicy enough.

Cajun-style cold remedy:
    Buy a box of Zatarain's Red Beans and Rice mix. prepare according to directions, except:add TWO teaspoons ground red pepper, one diced cayenne pepper, and 1/2 cup diced onion.

I really hate shortcuts, but considering the availability of ingredients, these recipes are the easy way out. Just make sure you have rolaids or tums nearby (you WILL need them) and plenty of good quality TP (you WILL need it - tomorrow!).

If these things don't help....move down south. You'll still get colds, but at least it's warmer.

ramstough39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BigGameMN View Post
    Seriously, I can't breathe. I'm sitting here with my mouth open panting like a dog and almost choking when I swallow. I tried some thermaflu and it tastes horrible and doesn't work. Nose spray seems to work pretty good but I've heard it's addictive. Any suggestions?
    Same thing is happening to me here lately, bud. However, it's eased up ever since earlier today where I had some warm soup.

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Allegre

Need a prescription from the Doc, though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MOM
    MOM is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post

I really hate shortcuts, but considering the availability of ingredients, these recipes are the easy way out. Just make sure you have rolaids or tums nearby (you WILL need them) and plenty of good quality TP (you WILL need it - tomorrow!).

If these things don't help....move down south. You'll still get colds, but at least it's warmer.
    You forgot the ICE CREAM!!!

You trying to kill him?
    [SIGPIC]http://www.stickershoppe.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/MLRPANCmini.jpg[/SIGPIC]This is for Randy! GO BRM!

bigredman is offline Registered User

Take your fingers out of your nostrils you dim wit. Sheesh, do I always have to point out the obvious?
    Last edited by bigredman; -03-06-2007 at 04:07 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

D Y N O M I T E !

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

I was so sick I almost forgot making this thread. What I did was I went to the doc and got a shot and some cough medicine. I asked him what in the world the cough medicine would do for my nose and all he said was take twice the normal dose and you'll see. Wow was he right. After taking that I felt better than I had in years. I've put it up now because I'm scared of becoming addicted but I've got some ammo for the next time I get sick.