AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Book Recommendation: The Scorpion's Gate by Richard Clarke

For those who like international political intrigue, and worry about how a few in powerful positions can manufacture a war, check out The Scorpion's Gate by Richard Clarke.

Clarke, as you may recall, served as National Coordinator for Security and Counterterrorism under both Clinton and Bush. After leaving this position, he became one of the most vocal critics of the handling of "The War on Terrorism."

The book is a novel, set in the near future, and tells the story of how a revolution in Saudi Arabia opens the door for several foreign countries, including the U.S., to plot to gain a new foothold in the oil rich Arabian peninsula.

It starts a bit slow, with several chess pieces needing to be put into place, but when it gets going, its a very good read.

Clearly Clarke is someone with an axe to grind, and I found his sympathetic portrayal of the moderate factions of the new "Islamia" (fka Saudi Arabia) to be, well, let's just say overly optimistic.

Nonetheless, is a fascinating book that, through analogy, gives some real insight on how some insiders view the current situation in Iraq.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Book Recommendation: The Scorpion's Gate by Richard Clarke

Thanks for the suggestion, i will put it on my reading list. Any recent movie reviews from the world of the avenger.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Book Recommendation: The Scorpion's Gate by Richard Clarke

Other than to see kid movies (Nanny McPhee was pretty good!), I rarely get to the theatre.

The last movie I saw was King Kong, which I thought was very good.