Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

I hope I'm wrong about this, but the upcoming "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" starring Johnnie Depp looks, from the commericals and previews, like it will be absolutely God-awful.

Apparently, Tim Burton believes that Willie Wonka should look and sound like Emo Phillips, and that the Oompa-Loompas are closely related to Smurfs.

Somethimes, its better to just leave the classics alone and not try to remake them. Of course, as long as it makes a buck...

MOM
    MOM is offline Registered User

Re: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

I'm getting the same impression from what I have seen. I don't think I'll be spending a buck on that one. Now the remake of "The Longest Yard".......maybe.

general counsel Guest

I always had a thing for violet beauregard (sp?).

general counsel

Mason is offline Registered User

I was pretty excited about it until I saw the lame little CGI Oompa Loompas.

How could anyone stray away from midgets.

Really. Am I wrong here?
    Come talk some smack. I dare ya. TalkHawks.com

2004 Seattle Seahawks --- NFC West Champions!
    :tongue:

Chiledog is offline Registered User

Johnnie Depp starring in a kids movie!? That just doesn't work for me. But then again, I felt like Gene Wilder as Willie Wonka was some pretty poor casting in the original. I predict that the new movie bombs at the box office.
    "Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie', until you can find a rock." Will Rogers

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Johnny Depp is an idiot anyway.:nerd:
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

Chiledog is offline Registered User

Johnny Depp is an idiot anyway.
    No argument here...
    "Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie', until you can find a rock." Will Rogers

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I don't think it will be well received, if only because the original is still watched by so many. This is a classic that I don't think should have been touched. That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see it rake in some cash just from being giving it a chance.

The song from the trailer gets stuck in my head way too easily. "Willie Wonka, Willie Wonka, the amazing chocolateer..."

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by psycho9985
    Johnny Depp is an idiot anyway.:nerd:
    Why is Johnny Depp an idiot? He is pretty famous and has played in a lot of movies? He owns his own island, has a woman and some kids. I think he is doing pretty well for himself. I think he is a bit of a nut case, but those types are pretty fun to hang with.

Remakes of classic movies are hard to do. For Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, there would be a lot of opportunities for high tech add ins to make the Factory more magical if they don't over do it. The original was well done. I am sure there are lots of kids out there who have never seen the first one who would like to see the remake. It will probably make some big bucks in the box office.

Now I am not sure what to think about Adam Sandler and the Longest yard. They seem to be changing the whole mood of that movie. I am not sure how well it will do if they make it too funny.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz
    Why is Johnny Depp an idiot? He is pretty famous and has played in a lot of movies? He owns his own island, has a woman and some kids. I think he is doing pretty well for himself. I think he is a bit of a nut case, but those types are pretty fun to hang with.

Remakes of classic movies are hard to do. For Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, there would be a lot of opportunities for high tech add ins to make the Factory more magical if they don't over do it. The original was well done. I am sure there are lots of kids out there who have never seen the first one who would like to see the remake. It will probably make some big bucks in the box office.

Now I am not sure what to think about Adam Sandler and the Longest yard. They seem to be changing the whole mood of that movie. I am not sure how well it will do if they make it too funny.
    If you,ve heard some of the anti american crap coming out of his mouth you would understand.I was a fan of his once,but this guy is a total hippocrit.Claims he hates capitalizm but its all right for him to be a millionaire but you cant,if dont subscribe to his politics.Typical left wing weirdo from hollywood.I agree with you on the longest yard,and I still like Adam Sandler.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by psycho9985
    If you,ve heard some of the anti american crap coming out of his mouth you would understand.I was a fan of his once,but this guy is a total hippocrit.Claims he hates capitalizm but its all right for him to be a millionaire but you cant,if dont subscribe to his politics.
    Yeah anti american crap coming from one that has made his money off the american public is pretty ridiculous. I don't pay attention to all the news related to the hollywood types. Oh well, he is getting old anyways. Maybe he should step away from the capitalizm.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

theodus69 is offline Registered User

The guy is strange anyway. But him along with Sean Penn, Richard Gere and all the others Don't stand behind the country can kiss my ASS! They don't seem to Realize that all the people who have died for this country have gave them the right to talk their ****! it just soooooooo hippo to me! Yet if our fathers and brothers hadn't fought all the wars that these punks protest, Hell we would be a third world country and them *******s wouldn't have a Penny! Hollywood sucks, but I still take my kids to see the stuff!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

So I guess I'm to assume there are a lot of Republicans on this board. Hmm.

Anyways, let's try to stay on topic, folks. I don't think Willie Wonka's political affiliation is a vital part of the discussion.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

I'm about as conservative as it gets but I don't let my own political affiliations/opinions get in the way of how I view people/art/music or anything like that.

I like Pearl Jam even with Eddie Vedder's politically charged lyrics. I like Depp's movies despite his views.

That said the new Willie Wonka looks very strange. I think it'll do just fine in the box office though.

Is it bad that I've never read the actual book? I could have sworn I heard somewhere that this movie is supposed to be more true to the book, but I've never read it, so I have no idea.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast