Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    general counsel Guest

Re: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Nick, i cant believe thats the song that sticks in your head from the movie. The Pearl Jam remake of "Ive Got a Golden Ticket" is a modern classic, but i am partial to the Oompa Loompa theme song, which is the one i cant get out of my head, especially the version recorded by kool and the gang.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Oh, the things we do for our children.

We took the kids to see C&TCF yesterday, and to my surprise, it was actually pretty good.

Tim Burton and Johnny Depp did a good job of providing a fresh take on the story, and the film looks great (as most Burton films do - Side Note: I'm really looking forward to Burton's next animated movie "Corpse Bride"). So, despite my first impression, I'm giving it a solid rating.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Yeah, I saw it yesterday as well, and it was both good and different. Very well cast with the children, I thought. I however wasn't as impressed with the music as I thought I'd be. Didn't really dig the Oompa Loompa songs.

Scidog68 is offline Registered User

Just got back from seeing this myself. My 10-year-old liked it quite a bit, while my 3 1/2 Y.O. was more of the "meh" mindset. My wife and I thought it was cute as s**t.
    Well cast (Deep Roy as ALL the Oompas was ingenious). Depp and the children were very well done. Enjoyed Depp's "new" take on Wonka. Mike TeeVee seemed a bit under-exposed, as compared to the original story (book), but all the children were very nicely cast.
    Burton's new backstory re: Wonka's childhood was well done and didn't detract from the story a bit. Christopher Lee as the elder Wonka was cool. Big Chris Lee fan.
    The ending was handled much better than the earlier version. Things still wrap up well, it's just not the "...and he gave him the chocolate factory. The End." type of ending. More life-like than that.
    Overall a very nice re-telling (NOT a remake) of the Dahl classic. Still not as bizarre and acid-trippy as the original book, but admirably done.

/4
    Last edited by Scidog68; -07-18-2005 at 12:28 AM.

Hooah

Win, Lose or Draw... Rams for Life!
    :football:

Masspatsfan12 is offline Registered User

I've never seen either one of those movies, but have you any of you heard of the comparisons of the new charlie and the chocolate factory to Michael Jackson?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Maybe it's just me, but I can't get into anything done by Tim Burton, with the exception of the '90 Batman.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Well, I guess movie critics won't be looking for a new job because of the ClanRam critics being that much better than them. Great reviews all around it seems and it did a pretty good job of gaining market share as it was #1 the first weekend out.

I haven't seen the movie myself, and will probably wait for syndication.

Ah yes, movie critic...imo, the most useless occupation in the history of the universe, with a close 2nd going to food critic. The very idea that people get paid to tell you what movie you want to see or what you want to eat makes my head spin. The next step is you will pay someone to eat your food and watch a movie for you, then tell you how well you liked it.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

oh exactly especially the ebert and robert people.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Here's a poster from Burton's upcoming film, "Corpse Bride." Looks cool:

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Here's a poster from Burton's upcoming film, "Corpse Bride."
    Meh, not really my cup of tea. My September movies will probably be "Flightplan" and "A History of Violence" instead of Burton's claymation, but that's just me. :drunk:
    Last edited by Nick; -07-19-2005 at 12:36 AM.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Just noticed this thread, coincidentally on the same night of seeing the movie. Beforehand, I expected it to live up to the hype. I, for one, am a big Johnny Depp and Tim Burton fan, so that might make me a bit biased. Since most opinions here seem to be politically motivated, I won't delve into personal opinions of the two [won't get anywhere], but I love their work. Depp did a decent job as Willy Wonka, keeping in mind that the movie is partially directed toward the children, and the storyline was good. I really like the young "Charlie" actor, and that's saying something considering I find most child actors annoying [I wanna puke everytime I see that kid from the Sixth Sense].

I guess technically this would be considered a remake, but keep in mind that Tim Burton wasn't a fan of the original, and the writer of the movie didn't even see the original. They went right off the book. Some might think Depp was a little overly "weird" with the role, but didn't anyone see the same thing from Wilder? He didn't seem very normal to me.

Corpse Bride looks interesting to me too, David, did you see Nightmare Before Christmas? Great movie. Anyone else looking out for Rob Zombie's new movie coming out soon?

EDIT: Deep Roy did a great job as the Oompas... to duplicate the originals would've been absurd. I like their new style. And for those that think it was a simple work of computer reproduction, I read that he acted out each Oompa separately. He definitely deserves some recognition for such hard work.
    Last edited by evil disco man; -07-19-2005 at 02:49 AM.

I don't get into people's politics, but I did like Burton's Direction in the Batman movie.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I would like to shove an EverlastingGobbstopper into TO's mouth. I also think holmgren looks like an adult size Agustus Gloop.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Ok, not to sound like the redneck Ozarks rube that I am, but could someone please explain to me the whole "Tim Burton thing". I just don't get it. Like I said, I enjoyed Batman, but other than that I'm just not feelin' the Burton, you know?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast