Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RealRam is online now Registered User

Re: Common spelling mistakes -- for the fun of it.

:up: Great article, Kentucky! Reele enjoid it (nau dat tooc som hard thenkeen 2rite).

Thanks for the insight therein. I appreciate your concern for the language and its pecularities, its orthographical whims. And I'm glad you have a love for its virtues too.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Thanks for the article, KentuckyHawk, now my head hurts. :tongue:

I'll just agree with this guy, the antagonist:
    But education professor Donald Bear said to simplify spelling would probably make it more difficult because words get meaning from their prefixes, suffixes and roots.

"Students come to understand how meaning is preserved in the way words are spelled," said Bear, director of the E.L. Cord Foundation Center for Learning and Literacy at the University of Nevada, Reno.
    Once you change the language to spell according to sound, you could lose a lot of the meaning behind the words, as they'd be more difficult to recognize and put into context of their true definition/roots.
    Last edited by evil disco man; -07-06-2006 at 12:40 AM.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Disco Man
    That wasn't meant to be an 'evil disco' comment [I don't know why I bother using that adjective when I made it up myself and am probably the only one that gets it] - I don't recall you misspelling [<--another word that ironically belongs on this thread's list] Steven's name in particular, it's just that it's been everywhere, and I guess that's what gets to me.
    I thought you were picking on me Disco, because I did post a thread recently about a possible Steven Jackson sighting, and I misspelled Steven's name. I caught it later on and made fun of myself.
    I thought you were just chiming in.

So what exactly does "evil disco" mean? Is it a band thing? Like Zuul's Evil Disco? You know it's funny, I just ran a search on "evil disco" and clan ram shows up on the second page. Too funny.
    Last edited by UtterBlitz; -07-06-2006 at 01:06 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

UtterBlitz, you know? I've wondered about "EDM" too, the story behind it (although I think it's neat). Can't recall reading about it months ago when there was a thread inviting members to decipher their handle.

Once you change the language to spell according to sound, you could lose a lot of the meaning behind the words, as they'd be more difficult to recognize and put into context of their true definition/roots. -- EDM
    :up: Well put, very well said!

Going by phonetics (and the ill-faited so-called universal language, 'Esperanto') or similar technique, even in this advanced stage of human experience, would bring nothing but chaos and ruin to, as you said, the roots, the very foundation of communication; be it contemplated as a science or as an art.

Etymology, one of my favorite sujects, would be useless. The Tower of Babel would make its comeback as a restored software system for Microsoft and NFL Officials would not leave the field unhurt after each game.

THAT'S why spelling is so important to me. :angryram:

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz
    So what exactly does "evil disco" mean? Is it a band thing? Like Zuul's Evil Disco? You know it's funny, I just ran a search on "evil disco" and clan ram shows up on the second page. Too funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    UtterBlitz, you know? I've wondered about "EDM" too, the story behind it (although I think it's neat). Can't recall reading about it months ago when there was a thread inviting members to decipher their handle.
    Not much of a story, but here it is:
    A long time ago before I found ClanRam, I started going into Yahoo chat, usually the NFL rooms. Eventually I ventured into other areas and chat rooms [mainly music] and needed a different username because the only one I had at the time was Rams_Fanatic. This was in 1998 when that name was still available for obvious reasons. I wanted a more general username with no numbers, so I knew it had to be something obscure and unique.

While surfing the information superhighway about some of my favorite bands, I came upon an interview with Wayne Static, the lead singer of Static-X.

Wayne was asked what sort of genre he considered their band to fit into, since their musical style is a bit weird (generally industrial rock/metal). In reply, he just made up a genre called "evil disco" which I thought seemed to fit in a funny way.

After a good chuckle, it popped into my brain to see if the term was available as a username on Yahoo. I liked how the two words conflicted in a strange but amusing way while warning of my sarcastic, sometimes dark, cynical sense of humor and tendency to poke fun at people - which some seem to view/take as negative, or "evil." I added "man" to it, cuz "evil_disco" alone just looks weird, as does "evil_disco_boy" or "evil_disco_guy," though now that I think about it, "evil_disco_dude" doesn't seem too bad of an option. The name grew on me the more I used it and ever since then it stuck, all the way up until the time I drifted away from Yahoo chat and joined ClanRam back in '01.
    Last edited by evil disco man; -07-08-2006 at 12:53 AM.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

I have just one to add. It never ceases to amaze me how so many self-proclaimed Rams fans get it wrong.

The use of:

Rams

vs.

Ram

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I still stand by my speech vs. written word argument. My father was a Highway Patrolman, and had to be very precise in his reports. A very small grammatical or spelling error could have resulted in a guilty person not being convicted, or vice versa. He was strict about proper spelling, so obviously I had to learn to spell at a reasonable level.
    However, growing up within a close proximity to Arkansas, I have been exposed to the "hillbilly factor". (Please look up the movie "Deliverance"). As HUbison can attest, there are those in the SW MO area who are unable to verbalize their thoughts without sounding like one of the Beverly Hillbillies.
    I write to an audience at their level. I speak to an audience at theirs.

Without derailing this thread, spelling mistakes are not as irritating to me as bad accents. I grew up in Missouri, moved to Texas where I was labeled a "Almost Yankee" due to my accent, yet when I moved back to Missouri, I was labeled a "Southerner". I can understand the speech of most persons, immigrants or not, yet I am really irritated by the accents of some more than others. Here are some examples of what I have heard, and the actual word they were attempting to say:

"joisy" - New Jersey
    "Gabich" - Garbage
    "Honger" - Hanger or hangar
    "purt" - pretty
    "agin" - against

Then there is one I am also guilty of using: Y'all.

Oh well, maybe I'll drop some peanuts into my Dr. Pepper, and enjoy being a southerner.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Thanks for the explanation disco....luv the name. :up:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

coy bacon is offline Registered User

Y'all need to get a life. What kind of people have to go around correcting others just for some spelling mistakes?

Why do you people feel the need to pick on others and expose them? Why do you feel it necessary to humiliate others? What's wrong wth you? We're all Rams' fans here, and we should cut each other some slack. Leave the spell checkin for the teachers, tech writers, and journalists.
    Last edited by coy bacon; -07-08-2006 at 03:58 PM.

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

wieght and weight
    hieght and height

i always misspell those

Okay, Coy: lighten up pal.

No one said or even implied that we're "correcting others just for some spelling mistakes". No one is "picking on others to expose them"!

I'm sure none of us, regardless of our writing skills and/or grammar, feels it is "necessary to humiliate othes." Come on!

What's wrong wth you? Get a life.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

What's wrong with you?

What's wrong with us?

Get a life?

At the risk of being philosophical, these are certainly good questions to ponder.

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with the majority of us. The trouble is, none of us are exactly the same, not only in physical characteristics, but also in the way we think about things.

Hence, we all look different, and we all have different opinions.

It is often the expression and subsequent interpretation of opinions that can lead to misunderstandings, especially so in the written form, as we use in this forum.

Now as far as "get a life" is concerned, personally, I have never understood the cliche'. It makes very little sense to me. Once a person is born I believe that person has a life.

That's just my opinion.

P.S. - Please feel free to correct any spelling errors. I can't be bothered with such trivial matters.

FERTER, I appreciate your pondering and your comment. Believe me, I too frown on the "Get a Life" expression -- to me it can be taken lightly in a friendly environment to poke at someone's lifestyle or taste. No problem!

It can also be a foolish remark. This is the way I took it from Coy's post (#24).

As for Spelling, I try to keep it right. Like you do. I suppose one could resort to the analogy of music, harmony, and art.

To some people, listening to somone sing totally out of key or to play the wrong notes on an instrument -- also woefully out of tune -- is a crime, an offensive cacophony! To others, that is, for souls with no music in them, they simply don't care if their song or music emulate sounds of sick cats hanging by the tail.

They just don't care. Enaf sed.

Correct word is in blue.

1. annoint / anoint

2. coolly / cooly

3. supersede / supercede.
    BTW, most of the 'correct' words here are legit but there are a few that are debatable. In fact, there is one word in this list that is actually correct both ways -- see if you can find it. Clue: first two syllables match a new, big box office movie title.
    Supersede. Supercede. This is the mystery word I believe is correctly spelled either way. From the new movie "Superman" clue. :-)

4. irresistible / irresistable

5. developement / development

6. alright / all right. Debateble. Both are correct; of course, it depends on the usage.

7. seperate / separate

8. tyranny / tyrrany

9. harrass / harass

10. desiccate / dessicate

11. indispensable / indispensible

12. recieve / receive

13. pursue / persue

14. reccomend / recommend

15. desperate / desparate

16. liquify / liquefy

17. seize / sieze

18. cemetary / cemetery

19. subpoena / subpena

20. definately / definitely

21. ocassion / occasion

22. consensus / concensus

23. inadvertant / inadvertent

24. minuscule / miniscule. Debatable, although the first is more widely accepted.

25. judgment / judgement

26. inoculate / innoculate

27. drunkenness / drunkeness

28. occurence / occurrence

29. dissipate / disippate

30. weird / wierd

31. alot / a lot

32. accomodate / accommodate

33. embarrassment / embarassment

34. ecstacy / ecstasy

35. repetition / repitition

36. battalion / batallion

37. despair / dispair

38. irritable / irritible

39. accidently / accidentally

40. liaison / liason

41. memento / momento

42. brocolli / broccoli

43. millennium / millenium

44. yeild / yield

45. existence / existance

46. independent / independant

47. sacreligious / sacrilegious

48. insistent / insistant

49. excede / exceed

50. privilege / priviledge
    Last edited by RealRam; -07-09-2006 at 09:10 PM.

How about CARBURATOR Vs. CARBURETOR?

coy bacon is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    Okay, Coy: lighten up pal.

No one said or even implied that we're "correcting others just for some spelling mistakes". No one is "picking on others to expose them"!

I'm sure none of us, regardless of our writing skills and/or grammar, feels it is "necessary to humiliate othes." Come on!

What's wrong wth you? Get a life.

I just can't believe that anyone would have the audacity to nit pick others on this forum about their spelling errors. Why, that's almost unheard of.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast